Closed Thread
Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    I will say if Herm Edwards an actual Coach and Player is not qualified to comment on Eli as an expert , then none of us are.

I often chuckle at the Eli crowd when they think they are more qualified then Simms and Warner for example.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

I don't mind negative Eli remarks coming from the "experts"...... for some reason, Eli usually has a good season once "experts" start down playing his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    You make it seem like they all started their careers around the same time.

Aikman and Young were from a different generation all together.

Marino, Elway, Kelly, and Moon were an abnormality where it was pretty much those 4 guys head and shoulders above every one else. It really wasn't even close. It's also why that draft class is seen as special. You're definitely right. If you have talent you have talent. But if everyone has the same a mount of talent, you aren't special. Marino, Elway, Kelly , and Moon were special because they were so far ahead of everyone else.

Compared to today, when Brady, and Peyton clearly are #1 and #2 and head and shoulders above everyone else. Looking back historically to this year, you can't include Aaron Rodgers among the "best ever" because his career just started while Brady and Peyton are finishing up theirs.

Using the same reasoning you can't lump Young and Aikman with the big 4, just because they happened to overlap a little bit.
    I agree about with your generation point, but if you look at the three years I listed, they were all putting up comparable stats, with the exception of Montana as he was pretty much at the end of the road, but I wasn't about to leave Joe Montana off the list. So for that time period I do think its fair to say that there were 7 "elite" quarterbacks in the league. I believe Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are not in the same "generation", but they are both certainly elite QB's at this current time.

Again, it all depends on a persons definition of elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    And that's what it comes down to here. Herm Edwards wasn't just guilty of making a foolish point. That is always forgivable because we are all entitled to our opinions.
    What Herm Edwards was guilty of on this MB was nothing less than blasphemy. .... And that we don't forgive.
    I wouldn't even say he made a foolish point, I saw nothing wrong with that at all

if any of you have watched Herm Edwards then you know he is in love with the sound of his voice....

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I wouldn't even say he made a foolish point, I saw nothing wrong with that at all
    HERETIC!

Quote Originally Posted by NYGabriel View Post
    Joe Flacco put up Joe Montana like numbers this post season just gone. He's never missed the Playoffs in 5 years as a starter.Is he better than Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc? Is he elite? Herm has a point. Eli wi'll always be a hero of mine but using the eye test he's kind of Flaccoish. Capable of getting hot and outplaying anybody but very inconsistent.

Eli Top 4? I'm not even sure he's a top 10 QB at the moment.
    Wow. I was actually in agreement with you until your last comment. You are not sure that Eli is a top 10 QB in the NFL? You my friend have jumped the shark. Please name 10 QB's better than Eli...

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    Wow. I was actually in agreement with you until your last comment. You are not sure that Eli is a top 10 QB in the NFL? You my friend have jumped the shark. Please name 10 QB's better than Eli...
    I guarantee when he gives you his list of top ten, it includes RG3, Andrew Luck, Russel Wilson, and/or Kapernick. Lol

I refuse to use the "E" word when referring to Eli. Everyone has their own definition of elite. But he is withou a doubt a top 10 QB in NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    You make it seem like they all started their careers around the same time.

Aikman and Young were from a different generation all together.

Marino, Elway, Kelly, and Moon were an abnormality where it was pretty much those 4 guys head and shoulders above every one else. It really wasn't even close. It's also why that draft class is seen as special. You're definitely right. If you have talent you have talent. But if everyone has the same a mount of talent, you aren't special. Marino, Elway, Kelly , and Moon were special because they were so far ahead of everyone else.

Compared to today, when Brady, and Peyton clearly are #1 and #2 and head and shoulders above everyone else. Looking back historically to this year, you can't include Aaron Rodgers among the "best ever" because his career just started while Brady and Peyton are finishing up theirs.

Using the same reasoning you can't lump Young and Aikman with the big 4, just because they happened to overlap a little bit.

Fuzzy memory? Aikman, maybe. Young began his NFL career just 3 years after the 83 draft class and 3 years prior to Aikman. And while Moon entered the NFL around the same time as Marino, Kelly and Elway, he played CFL ball before even Montana started his NFL career in '79. You don't have to be drafted together to be in the same generation in my opinion.

So while the were slightly different in age, with the exception of Montana, they were all veterans playing at a pretty high level in 1992--1994.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://gmenhq.com/2013/02/14/espn-he...ards-diss-eli/

Excerpt: "This morning I put on the Colin Cowherd show on ESPN as I was getting dressed, and they bring in Herm Edwards as an expert analyst of the NFL . Herm played 9 seasons in the NFL and coached two different teams compiling a record of 54-74 in the regular season and 2-4 in the playoffs. Edwards was known as a motivator, a rah rah guy that was good for morale. This quote about Edwards as a head coach says a lot:

Overall, Edward’s tenure as head coach of the Jets was marred by chronic clock management problems, an ultra-conservative “play not to lose” mentality, and a lack of any discernable defensive philosophy, despite Edwards’ supposed expertise in the Cover 2 defense.

My point here is that Herm was probably not the best talent evaluator as a Head Coach leading to his poor record and general lack of success…but put a coat and a tie on a guy and he’s an expert. The conversation this morning was the usual off season nonsense until it turned to QB’s in the NFL. Herm made the proclamation…and one that I agree with…that there can’t be 8 ELITE QB’s in the league…there can only be 4. Good point because you are supposed to be comparing them to each other, not some imaginary set of numbers. He prefaced his list with the “In the last FIVE or so years” these are my Elite QB’s….This is where Herm gets lost.

When asked about ELI, he said “He can sit at the kids table, but he can’t order from the menu”. Really Herm?
    • Pro Bowl (2008, 2011, 2012)
    • Super Bowl champion (XLII, XLVI)
    • Super Bowl MVP (XLII, XLVI)
    • NFL Record most 4th quarter touchdown passes in a season (15)
    • Tied NFL Record most game-winning drives in a season (8) (2011)
    • Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10)
    Eli also beat your number one guy on the list TWICE in his building to get to the Super Bowl, and then beat the number two guy on your list TWICE in the Super Bowl.Obviously Winning is not a priority with Herm as he evaluates QB’s. Super Bowl Champion QB’s the last 6 years include two of the guys on his list, and the guy who won TWO of the others can’t make the grade.More proof that putting a coat and tie on a guy doesn’t make him an expert." Read more...

I didnt see the list but i assume your reffering to rodgers, but regardless that statement that Eli beat another qb twice in his building to get to the superbowl isnt right. Now I love Eli and Big Blue, but just wanted to point out that he's never beaten the same qb twice in the postseason besides brady in both superbowls. Other than that its been Garcia, Romo, Favre, Ryan, Rodgers, and Smith.