+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New NFL!!

The New NFL!!

Lets talk about the new NFL. Not the old league where it was about running the ball and stopping the run. Its all different now.

As far as I'm concerned, our FO, in both free agency and the draft, should focus on the two things that help you win more than anything else in the "New NFL".
    That is:
    1. Protecting your QB
    and
    1B. Getting after the other QB

The rules today make it so difficult to play defense and so easy to throw the ball, these have to be our priorities. You can't reroute WR's, you can't hit them after they catch the ball (unless you use geometric precision), You can't hit the QB after he throws the ball, You can't hit him before he throws the ball in any place other than about a 1 square foot space from the waiste to under the shoulder blades.

So I would say that looking for pass rushers and pass protectors has to be our focus. Even great corners can't cover well enough given these new rules. We saw a great (at least by today's standards) defense like SF get lit up by friggin Joe Flacco.
    All you can do is score a lot of points, and create havoc on defense for their QB. We have learned from our own experience, defense is only as good as their ability to get after the QB.

My 2 cents.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

spot on analysis.

They sure have wrecked this great game of ours.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Lets talk about the new NFL. Not the old league where it was about running the ball and stopping the run. Its all different now.

As far as I'm concerned, our FO, in both free agency and the draft, should focus on the two things that help you win more than anything else in the "New NFL".
    That is:
    1. Protecting your QB
    and

The rules today make it so difficult to play defense and so easy to throw the ball, these have to be our priorities. You can't reroute WR's, you can't hit them after they catch the ball (unless you use geometric precision), You can't hit the QB after he throws the ball, You can't hit him before he throws the ball in any place other than about a 1 square foot space from the waiste to under the shoulder blades.

So I would say that looking for pass rushers and pass protectors has to be our focus. Even great corners can't cover well enough given these new rules. We saw a great (at least by today's standards) defense like SF get lit up by friggin Joe Flacco.
    All you can do is score a lot of points, and create havoc on defense for their QB. We have learned from our own experience, defense is only as good as their ability to get after the QB.

My 2 cents.
    good post sir
    FUTURE NFL STAR

through 5 games

15 rushes for 175 yards 2 td
    17 pancake blocks
    20 tackles 2 sack (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 )
    5-0record

I hate what the "new NFL" I'm all about defense and physical play. Now it's all about putting points on the board and protecting the players. The highest paid players in the game (QB) are treated like old lady's crossing the street. I also can't stand what they are doing to the defensive backs in this league. A corner or safety has to wait for the receiver to make a football move before he can hit him. So let me get this straight, the defensive back has to wait so the receiver can get control of the ball then you can hit him? But make sure your helmet doesn't touch the opponents helmet, because running full speed it's so easy to prevent that... Sigh

I love football as much as the next fan, but I hate what they're doing to this great game.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Teams can still jam a receiver at the line of scrimmage, so man coverage is still and option. Frankly, I think press coverage is more important than ever right now.

Part of the appeal of zone is having players in position to make a play on the ball, or else jar the ball loose with a solid tackle. The rules have made that second part more difficult.

I think the way to play the new rules involves having linebackers who can cover and pursue....tight ends are creating mismatches, QBs are faster, and the read-option and wildcat offenses are neutralizing edge rushers like Osi.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

That is:
    1. Protecting your QB
    and

My 2 cents.
    I agree (damn it!) and I prefer they get an OLineman first followed by a Dlineman. We have some young Dline prospects already on the roster but we are really hurting on the Oline and that will be more true if we can't sign Beatty and Boothe on the left side.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

We need corners too. I wouldn't mind a Richard Sherman in the 5th.

That is:
    1. Protecting your QB
    and

My 2 cents.
    I agree. and this kinda of piggy backs off what you said in the other "Salary Cap Thread".... If you can do both those things with both Lines then you Stand a good chance of winning a SB with the other Role players and maybe 1 or 2 stars on either side of the ball
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

i think our FO already figured "getting after the other qb" is very much key in winning!

after the 2011 season analysts, teams and countless other pundits thought the Giants were on track to set all kinds of records with JPP, Tuck, Osi and Kiwi! that however did not work out as we hoped!

protecting our own qb is more difficult imo! if we can accomplish that we are a leg up on both offense and defense!

so i certainly agree that these are the areas we should concentrate on!

This is why LBer is not our top priority and why JR will not draft one in the first round. I say he goes Oline.
    Do not feed the trolls.