+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are you guys opposed to drafting a QB later in the draft?

Ive been saying it for the past couple of years, but now IMO is the time to do so.

#1 - I would like to get someone capable of playing behind Eli if God forbid, the injury happens. And the way we are handling our OLine this days, it doesnt seem like a far fetched idea that Eli will be hit hard and often in the next few seasons. It was relivant with Diehl out there and Coughlin still having trust in him. Beatty? Boothe? Locklear? All could be gone. Snee is getting long in the tooth. If we have Carr behind Eli I really think we have 0 chance to win. But if we get a reliable young backup later in the draft we may be able to do something.

#2 - He could learn behind Eli for a few years. Like Rodgers did with Favre, like a bunch of QBs do behind a Superbowl MVP QB. Pick Eli's head. Learn from the best. Then in a few years, when Eli is in his mid-late 30s and most likely slowing down, we have a future QB ready to roll.

#3 -Trade bait. I see so many teams draft a QB 3rd round or later and wind up dealin them for a ridiculous trade package due to some teams not having any idea what a true franchise QB is. Matt Cassell to the Chiefs, Kevin Kolb to the Cards, Matt Flynn to the Seahawks, and now hearing Foles will most likely get traded and bring in some good value.

Here is a list of some examples:

Landry Jones (3-4th), Jordan Rodgers (6-7th), Colin Klien (7th-UDFA)

Rodgers seems like the best pick for us, keeping our "younger brother" thing going (Manning, Moss, Barber)

5trive for Fiv5

I think it's too early to do a "QB of the Future" drafting. Maybe in 2 or 3 more years, with a deeper QB class. Also, if the injury happens, all bets are off at that point. I don't have much faith in any backup being able to run our offense long-term. Sure if we had Brees, Brady, or Peyton (or even guys like Ben and Flacco) on our roster, i'd be down, but they're starters for a reason.

Taking Jordan Rodgers in the 6th would be a hilarious pick... but if he was somehow groomed into our future QB, we'd have to deal with the "little brother" crap for yet another era of Giants football. Eli is almost always universally compared to Peyton, whether fairly or not. Even if Jordan is every bit as good as his brother, he would still never be considered to be that level. Eli would have undoubtedly cracked top 5 QB last season had his name been John Doe...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

It's pretty safe to say if Eli went down for any extended period of time that we most likely wouldn't make the playoffs. Would you really have more confidence in a late round drafted rookie QB over Carr. I'm not so sure.

And the only reason the QBs that you mentioned got decent returns on their trades is because they got a chance to show what they can do due to injuries to the starters. If Eli never gets hurt, nobody will give us anything for a late round QB that never saw the field.

It's not a horrible idea, but we have a lot of holes to fill, that you'd have to think long and hard before you use a pick on a player that you have no intention on playing for probably at least 5 years.

Rhett Bomar 2

You are not going to accomplish #1 with a late round QB for at least a few years, if ever. Is your plan to cut ties with Carr for next season and then have a rookie late-round pick as Eli's only backup? That seems like a very bad idea.
    Last edited by TCHOF; 02-15-2013 at 11:42 AM.

You are probably just as likely to find a serviceable backup as and UDFA as you would be picking on in the 6th or 7th. That late in the draft is a crap shoot for QBs.

Really not the year to go for a late round QB unless someone like E.J Manuel or Tyler Bray somehow fell into our laps in the 6-7 round range. All of the attention is on Johnny Football with the future QB classes but I'd rather take a chance on someone like Marcus Mariota from Oregon who is very similar to Kaepernick coming out of college. Better accuracy and QB frame to handle pocket passing than Manziel and he has the ability to get those yards with his feet like the Kaeps or Wilsons. If we spent a 1st rounder on Mariota in 2015, I'd be excited with that selection and he could sit behind Eli for 2-3 years before taking the reigns.

Don't think so, and I don't believe the Rodgers situation is comparable to this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Really not the year to go for a late round QB unless someone like E.J Manuel or Tyler Bray somehow fell into our laps in the 6-7 round range. All of the attention is on Johnny Football with the future QB classes but I'd rather take a chance on someone like Marcus Mariota from Oregon who is very similar to Kaepernick coming out of college. Better accuracy and QB frame to handle pocket passing than Manziel and he has the ability to get those yards with his feet like the Kaeps or Wilsons. If we spent a 1st rounder on Mariota in 2015, I'd be excited with that selection and he could sit behind Eli for 2-3 years before taking the reigns.
    No way the Giants use a first on a QB while Eli is still here.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    No way the Giants use a first on a QB while Eli is still here.
    If we're talking about grabbing Eli's replacement before he leaves, wouldn't you rather take a QB with much higher upside than a late round pick with little to offer? I'm sure that's how the Giants would feel in that situation too.