+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Aim To Re-Sign LB

Giants Aim To Re-Sign LB

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...6ikNkEExh4uzzO

Excerpt: "The Giants cut ties with Chase Blackburn once, but they are not planning to do so again. There’s a good chance the hard-working middle linebacker will be back for a ninth season, but only if the price is right.

“The Giants have expressed a desire to re-sign Chase,’’ Richard Katz, Blackburn’s agent, told The Post Friday. “We believe Chase has been very valuable to the club, both on and off the field. Right now we are assessing his dollar value to the Giants and reviewing all possible alternatives including the Giants.”

Blackburn, who will turn 30 on June 10, started 15 games this past season on a defense that allowed a franchise-record 6,134 total yards. The Giants already have parted ways with a starting linebacker this offseason, releasing Michael Boley last week.

Blackburn is set to become an unrestricted free agent — one of 18 the Giants have to sort through. He was in this position two years ago and the Giants opted to use rookies Greg Jones and Mark Herzlich to fill the void at middle linebacker.

Neither youngster was able to handle the job and Blackburn was brought back around Thanksgiving. He not only won back the starting job, but helped solidify the run defense and turned into a postseason hero, intercepting Tom Brady in Super Bowl XLVII.
    If the Giants do not make a big move in free agency, Boley’s weak-side linebacker spot could be filled by Jacquian Williams or Spencer Paysinger, both entering their third NFL season. There is no one waiting in the wings at middle linebacker other than Herzlich, who did not distinguish himself in 2012 in limited playing time." Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...6ikNkEExh4uzzO

Excerpt: "The Giants cut ties with Chase Blackburn once, but they are not planning to do so again. There’s a good chance the hard-working middle linebacker will be back for a ninth season, but only if the price is right.

“The Giants have expressed a desire to re-sign Chase,’’ Richard Katz, Blackburn’s agent, told The Post Friday. “We believe Chase has been very valuable to the club, both on and off the field. Right now we are assessing his dollar value to the Giants and reviewing all possible alternatives including the Giants.”

Blackburn, who will turn 30 on June 10, started 15 games this past season on a defense that allowed a franchise-record 6,134 total yards. The Giants already have parted ways with a starting linebacker this offseason, releasing Michael Boley last week.

Blackburn is set to become an unrestricted free agent — one of 18 the Giants have to sort through. He was in this position two years ago and the Giants opted to use rookies Greg Jones and Mark Herzlich to fill the void at middle linebacker.

Neither youngster was able to handle the job and Blackburn was brought back around Thanksgiving. He not only won back the starting job, but helped solidify the run defense and turned into a postseason hero, intercepting Tom Brady in Super Bowl XLVII.
    If the Giants do not make a big move in free agency, Boley’s weak-side linebacker spot could be filled by Jacquian Williams or Spencer Paysinger, both entering their third NFL season. There is no one waiting in the wings at middle linebacker other than Herzlich, who did not distinguish himself in 2012 in limited playing time." Read more...
    It would be silly not to bring him back. He's a great depth player that knows the play book and has a great passion for the game, all for a fair price.

money is the key, I love Chase but we should know that what we need is a sideline-to-sideline run-stuffer...maybe 2 of 'em.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

I like Chase.....he's all heart. But we should really be looking to upgrade.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    PLEASE don't let this mean they are not looking for a new inside linebacker. I like Blackburn as a teacher, a #2 backer and on ST. I'm sorry to say we need better than him on a regular basis.

Baseless article. He was great in the SB run, but blackburn would only be a detriment to this team. He's not even good depth for $850k next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    Baseless article. He was great in the SB run, but blackburn would only be a detriment to this team. He's not even good depth for $850k next year.
    and yet somehow he is the starting MLB....go figure.
    he is deffinilety worth vet minimum + a little extra........
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    and yet somehow he is the starting MLB....go figure.
    he is deffinilety worth vet minimum + a little extra........
    You can't really use that as an arguement considering Reese's philosophy on pass rushers vs linebackers. It's not like Chase was competing with the cream of the crop. Love him and his fire.....but we need to upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

I doubt there is a market for Chase. If he wants to remain the league, he may have to take the backup role. [I hope it remains a backup role]

If they do draft a LB this year it's probably a good idea to have Blackburn around to mentor him. At least for the cerebral part of the system.

+ Reply to Thread