+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistically, how much could we have Webster restructure to?

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    Yup, I'm hoping we can get that number down to around 3.4 million instead of $2,595,000 dead money.
    I dont understand what you are saying.

How are they going to get the number down to 3.4 million?

You think they are going to tell webster he is only going to get paid the veteran minimum and he is going to accept that?

They have no way to reduce the 2.595 mil number, at all.

So whatever webster will make is in addition to that. The vet minimum for webster is $840k.

So thats $3.43 mil right there

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    The Giants still need more salary cap room. So who’s the next cut? Here are the Giants w/the biggest cap #s in '13:
    (Note: These numbers are what each player counts against the salary cap. It is NOT the amount the Giants would save by cutting each of the players listed below. That amount would be less … in some cases significantly less):

1.QB Eli Manning $20,850,000

2.G Chris Snee $11,000,000

3.CB Corey Webster $9,845,000

4.S Antrel Rolle $9,250,000

5.T David Diehl $6,903,125

6.C David Baas $6,725,000

7.DE Justin Tuck $6,150,000

8.LB Mathias Kiwanuka $5,125,000

9.WR Hakeem Nicks $3,755,000

10.DE Jason Pierre-Paul $2,825,000

3 days ago

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-gi...source=twitter
    They need to release the two bums living off past glory, Justin Tuck and Diehl. and Baas is not a top center, he hasn't earned that salary either.

He can't restructure since he's on the last year of his deal. The only thing they can do is ask him to take a pay cut, which may be difficult to do. Even with as poor a year as Webster had last season, as the roster currently stands the Giants have pretty much no leverage to force him to do it. We have zero depth behind him and he knows that.

Snee, Tuck, Webster, Baas, Diehl. . .those guys are all average on their best day last year.

I got no problem with a guy making money, they all work hard. But if it's keeping us from getting players who could possibly play at a higher level, I support Reese's decisions to cut where we must.

And I guess by extension, I support his decisions to keep players I don't agree with keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    He can't restructure since he's on the last year of his deal. The only thing they can do is ask him to take a pay cut, which may be difficult to do. Even with as poor a year as Webster had last season, as the roster currently stands the Giants have pretty much no leverage to force him to do it. We have zero depth behind him and he knows that.
    The Giants have lot's of leverage. The game tape of last season. Sit Corey Toaster down and make him watch the Ravens game. Hosley, a rookie, is up against Boldin and Flacco still victimized Webster like a polar bear ripping apart a seal.

Difficult decisions all the way around, trying to reduce the cap hit through extension could be tricky (getting something acceptable for the player and team...egos and all). There is risk in everything JR will have to see where he can accept risk and move on from there. My thoughts are that JR could axe a couple of these guys and it would make little difference next year...(Diehl, Baas, Webster)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Agreed. If his replacement was on the roster he would already have been cut and to upgrade from free agency would cost them more money. They are stuck and have to hope last year was an aberration and Webby bounces back in a contract year. Diehl, Baas seem like more likely ways to save.

All-Pro
    There is only three real options with Cap projections remaining flat for the next 2-3 years. You either ride out the contract this year, cut him and take the cap hit from bonuses, or extend his contract and spread the hit over 2-3 years instead of one. With some considering this a year they can contend, an extension makes the most sense.... although I am not so sure they are a serious contender. There is just too many holes on defense. I think this is a year you take the hit while looking for his replacement on the current roster or through the draft. I don't think there is enough depth at corner to release him, unless you can get a real value signing in FA to replace him for less than the cap space you create, something I don't think is very likely.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by yatitle View Post
    Agreed. If his replacement was on the roster he would already have been cut and to upgrade from free agency would cost them more money. They are stuck and have to hope last year was an aberration and Webby bounces back in a contract year. Diehl, Baas seem like more likely ways to save.
    IIRC, we'll lose money by cutting Baas. Then we'd need to find a center. Diehl likely isn't going anywhere either until we find out what's happening with Beatty and Boothe.

Not to mention, but Rolle is not worth that salary,either.

+ Reply to Thread