+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistically, how much could we have Webster restructure to?

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    Fewell won't even be here in 2014. His zone coverage scheme is awful and is NOT one of our strengths, clearly.

I think all of our corners excel better with press coverage where they can be physical and disrupt the timing of the receiver at the LOS.
    Press cover defenses are becoming obsolete. Look at Spags defense this past season.
    If Fewell goes after this season, we will bring in another DC who plays cover 2 or some variation of that.
    The reason is that will more and more mobile QB's, you can't have corners chasing WR's. They have to be facing the QB.
    Its a shame because in the old NFL (and by old I mean just a few years ago) it can be a very effective defensive scheme. But with these rules where you can't hit WR's after they catch the ball (essentially) and you can't reroute them like before etc..... all you can do is get after the QB and contain him if he gets outside contain.
    The mobile QB has a huge advantage in press coverage. Just ask GB against SF (who just happened to cut their best press corner).
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Webby is getting cut. Hard to believe that he would take a huge pay cut down to around $2 or $3MM. Which is where it would have to go to be useful. If he's down to $3mm, thats a $4MM savings in the cap.
    It just seems that we could sign a decent vet or 2 at corner for less.
    It all comes down to the pass rush on this defense anyway.
    We're not cutting Webster without replacing him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    We're not cutting Webster without replacing him first.
    I think we are.
    He will either take a cut or he'll be cut. I don't look for that to take too long. When FA hits, we have to have more cap room.
    Get well soon 80.

I think we are.
    He will either take a cut or he'll be cut. I don't look for that to take too long. When FA hits, we have to have more cap room.
    What are we, 3 or 4 million under the projected cap? So yes I would agree, we need more cap room. Webster is not the teflon Don, and maybe he will surprise a lot of us and take the pay cut.

Good assessment by the way Morehead regarding todays NFL and defensive schemes. The pistol offense and read option offenses are going to continue to grow. So its up to the defensive coaches to adjust.
    Perry Fewell is out there playing Tecmo Bowl defense with just 4 plays you can pick from on the remote control.
    --sharick88

I think we are.
    Yes, we'll need more cap room, but unless we know that we have a replacement for him, he's not going anywhere. A replacement for him in FA that will play to his level prior to '12 will cost nearly as much as he's making now anyway. We might be able to save a couple mil, but he's not going anywhere until we actually have his replacement lined up. We have crap depth on the roster at CB; after Prince and Web, it's Hosley and bunch of guys that have essentially no NFL experience (Tryon is a FA, too). Webster knows this, too. Even with as ****ty of a season as he had, the FO has little leverage to force him to take a pay cut. We just don't have a replacement for him.

Veteran
    This is actually a very easy cutthroat business decision. "Oh you got burned more than you produced last season?" SEE YA C.WEB!

They'll forget his name as soon as he walks out the door.

See how easy that was?

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    Right but if we cut him that's $2,595,000 in dead money.

Which is why if he takes a big pay cut, it's certainly better for us... and also better for Webster let's be serious.
    Ignore the $2.595 number. That is going to hit the cap no matter what. There is no way the giants can reduce that. Once you give a guy a signing bonus that money is instantly dead money.

So it's the $7 mil number that Webster has. Giants can tell him to reduce it or get cut, but really they don't have much leverage. Webster could probably get at least 5 mil a year. And a multi year deal means he would get more than 7 mil up front.

If the giants want to reduce that number the only realistic way of doing it is to release webster. But then they have no outside CB starter, and no depth.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 02-19-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Ignore the $2.595 number. That is going to hit the cap no matter what. There is no way the giants can reduce that. Once you give a guy a signing bonus that money is instantly dead money.

So it's the $7 mil number that Webster has. Giants can tell him to reduce it or get cut, but really they don't have much leverage. Webster could probably get at least 5 mil a year. And a multi year deal means he would get more than 7 mil up front.

If the giants want to reduce that number the only realistic way of doing it is to release webster. But then they have no outside CB starter, and no depth.
    That's why he's probably getting cut. His skills are not very suitable for our scheme and he is way overpaid either way. If he can get $5MM/yr from someone else (which is a big question) then he needs to go for it.
    I just find it near impossible to believe that Webby will be a Giant AND be taking home $7MM from us at the same time.
    Get well soon 80.

That's why he's probably getting cut. His skills are not very suitable for our scheme and he is way overpaid either way. If he can get $5MM/yr from someone else (which is a big question) then he needs to go for it.
    I just find it near impossible to believe that Webby will be a Giant AND be taking home $7MM from us at the same time.
    Scheme wise webster fits fine with what fewell wants to do. I don't think there is any question he can get $5 mil a year. Ross is getting roughly $4 mil a year and has never been close to as good a player as Webster. And he's the same age

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Scheme wise webster fits fine with what fewell wants to do. I don't think there is any question he can get $5 mil a year. Ross is getting roughly $4 mil a year and has never been close to as good a player as Webster. And he's the same age
    Ross got only about $1.5 MM this past season from Jax.. And given Webby's performance last year, I would say his market value is no better than Ross' was last season.
    And I disagree that Webby fits us anymore. We used to play a bit of a hybrid defense with Webby playing press on their best WR. I don't know if we did that as much last year. We did it a lot in 2011.
    But his skills have diminished. I know a lot of his problems came as a product of injuries this past season and I'm not one of these fans who think he's done, but our team would probably be best served not occupying almost $10MM on one corner (who isn't a shutdown corner).
    Our defense relies on our pass rush, and corners and safeties aren't our focus. We just need solid guys who have decent ball skills and who can play well facing the QB. Those we can get for a lot cheaper than $7MM/yr.
    The league is changing and we need more zone coverage.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 02-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Get well soon 80.

+ Reply to Thread