+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dallas Cap Problem

haha.. and I thought NY had problems
    (1)Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh - (2)Joel Bitonio, OL Nevada - (3)CJ Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa
    (4)Brandon Coleman, WR Rutgers - (5)Bryan Stork, C Florida State - (5)Khairi Fortt, LB California
    (6)Tyler Gaffney, RB Stanford

Wink

The cap situation isn't nearly as bad as it seems. Yes, some players are due big money, but Dallas can easily get under the cap. I wouldn't expect any releases... except a maybe a few minor pieces.

Carr's contract in particular has a built-in trigger that can free up up to 10.5 million for the next year alone. Restructuring Ware, Witten and Austin would also free up another 11 million, and then of course the releases and extending Romo to restructure his deal as well.

They'll extend Romo in order to keep Spencer and let a few unimportant guys go. Kevin Ogletree is probably on the chopping block with the emergence of Dwayne Harris. Dan Connor is probably gone due to his lack of success in a 4-3.

So, no you can't have Sean Lee or Bruce Carter!

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    The cap situation isn't nearly as bad as it seems. Yes, some players are due big money, but Dallas can easily get under the cap. I wouldn't expect any releases... except a maybe a few minor pieces.

Carr's contract in particular has a built-in trigger that can free up up to 10.5 million for the next year alone. Restructuring Ware, Witten and Austin would also free up another 11 million, and then of course the releases and extending Romo to restructure his deal as well.

They'll extend Romo in order to keep Spencer and let a few unimportant guys go. Kevin Ogletree is probably on the chopping block with the emergence of Dwayne Harris. Dan Connor is probably gone due to his lack of success in a 4-3.

So, no you can't have Sean Lee or Bruce Carter!
    ahh, just the man some of us have been looking for. I figured you might have some insight regarding this topic.

My brother-in-law is a Cowboys fan as well. He was asking me what I thought about or heard about Dion Jordan from Oregon. I told him that he night have to put on some weight/muscle to play DE in a 4-3 defense. I dont know if he would flourish as a Sam Or Will in Kiffin's Tampa 2. And if I recall, I think Jordan has an injury that needs surgery, but he put it off till after the combine.

I told my brother-in-law that the Boys may go after Richardson at DT or 1 of the top safeties in the 1st rd. And he would agree with you Ntegrase96, regarding Harris emerging and Ogletree being expendable.
    "Why did it take us three years to figure out Jerel Jernigan can play?" John Mara

Anytime you have to restructure contracts [including those signed just a year prior], I don't consider that as easily getting under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Anytime you have to restructure contracts [including those signed just a year prior], I don't consider that as easily getting under the cap.
    I'm not a fan of restructuring deals because it will count against the cap at some point, but it's not something I would look at as being difficult. I don't know if they will restructure all of those contracts, but if they really wanted to, Dallas could create roughly 20 million by doing so. And that doesn't even include extending (and subsequently restructuring) Romo, or releasing a few dead weight players to free up another 10-13 million.

Basically if Dallas needs to create enough room to retain players that are worth it they will... Ratliff is probably the only one that may have some value (IMO) whose days may be numbered. But with the cap expected to not rise very much in coming years, I wouldn't expect them to go overboard with the restructures since they'll need to re-sign guys like Lee, Carter, Claiborne and Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    ahh, just the man some of us have been looking for. I figured you might have some insight regarding this topic.

My brother-in-law is a Cowboys fan as well. He was asking me what I thought about or heard about Dion Jordan from Oregon. I told him that he night have to put on some weight/muscle to play DE in a 4-3 defense. I dont know if he would flourish as a Sam Or Will in Kiffin's Tampa 2. And if I recall, I think Jordan has an injury that needs surgery, but he put it off till after the combine.

I told my brother-in-law that the Boys may go after Richardson at DT or 1 of the top safeties in the 1st rd. And he would agree with you Ntegrase96, regarding Harris emerging and Ogletree being expendable.

Richardson would be nice. I think it's definitely a possibility and I'd be happy with the pick if he falls that far, but I think the offensive line is hurting too greatly to pass up on Cooper if he's there. Ideally for me, Dallas would be able to land Richardson and a guy like Warford or Barrett Jones in the 2nd round.

I think they may be too high on Matt Johnson (who has yet to play, but was retained) to go after a safety before they address the DL and OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Richardson would be nice. I think it's definitely a possibility and I'd be happy with the pick if he falls that far, but I think the offensive line is hurting too greatly to pass up on Cooper if he's there. Ideally for me, Dallas would be able to land Richardson and a guy like Warford or Barrett Jones in the 2nd round.

I think they may be too high on Matt Johnson (who has yet to play, but was retained) to go after a safety before they address the DL and OL.
    I have seen mocks where the Cowboys take Warmack or Cooper at the G position in the 1st rd. I remember hearing somewhere in the past, in regards to the way Kiffin likes to address his Tampa 2. He wants to have that top tier player at each level of the defense. In his Tampa years, he had Sapp, Brooks and Lynch in their primes. He had other key players, but those 3 aformentioned anchored their respective levels.

Im not saying Richardson will be the next Sapp, but having a player like him at the 3 tech in the Tampa 2 would benefit greatly. You have Lee and Carter at backer, so know you look at the backend. Claiborne will probably continue to develop and become one of the top tier CBs in the league, but having that safety will be on their to do list in the coming season or 2. I have a slight curiousity on how well the Cowboys defense will play once they get all of the pieces in place.

Edit: Im not sure where, but I believe I saw a mock that had the Cowboys taking Kenny Vaccaro, safety from Texas in the 1st rd. And yet another mock, not sure which one, had the Cowboys taking Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd rd.
    Last edited by tonyt830; 02-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    "Why did it take us three years to figure out Jerel Jernigan can play?" John Mara

+ Reply to Thread