+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Giants rookie pool # for 2013 is estimated to be $4,614,587.

The Giants' rookie pool number for 2013, according to Jason from overthecap.com, is estimated to be $4,614,587.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread=465396
    http://www.overthecap.com/rookie-pool-estimate.php

Here are his estimated rookie pool salary cap numbers for the Giants in 2013. Those of the rest of the NFL clubs in 2013 can be found listed on the link below. Please keep in mind that all of these numbers are merely estimates at this point in time and do not include compensatory picks (which are awarded at the end of March):

NOTES:
    • The Giants rank 20th out of all clubs in this category, ranging from biggest rookie pool allocation to smallest, with their total of $4,614,587.
    • The total range is from approximately $7.84 M to $2.92 M.
    • The Eagles have the biggest rookie pool allocation estimate, with $7,836,357.
    • The Colts have the smallest rookie pool allocation estimate, with $2,917,155.
    • Estimates will change after compensatory picks are awarded, and according to the amount of picks that teams have.
    • Changes in estimates will of course be made to reflect trades and transactions involving draft picks prior to the draft, during it, and after its conclusion, at which point speculation will cease, since the numbers will be concrete at that point.
    • Click on the link below for the rest of NFL clubs.

The Giants have to clear more money for the rookies and their RFAs who include Cruz, S. Brown, and A. Brown.

1.) Cruz would cost $2.879 M against the cap, if tendered at the 1st round tender rate, which he undoubtedly will be.
    2.) S. Brown would cost $2.023 M against the cap, if tendered at the 2nd round tender rate, which he most likely will be.
    3.) A. Brown would cost $1.323 M against the cap, if tendered at the original round tender rate, which he most likely will be.

**On a sidenote, A. Brown’s original round was the 4th round of the 2009 draft, so that's what any team that would agree to sign him would have to be willing to give up to the Giants to keep him, which is VERY unlikely since RBs are a dime a dozen.

The Giants will need another $6.225 million in cap space to make room for their Restricted Free Agents (RFAs).

If you add that amount to the rookie pool money $4,614,587, then the Giants will need to be $10,839,587 under the cap.

Right now they're supposedly a little over about $4 million under the cap. This means that they need to clear close to about another $7 million in cap space. This means more players have to agree to paycuts, and some more who have to be released if they don't do so, thereby creating the requisite room under the cap.

The good news is that the timetable works out for the Giants well with respect to the draft, since it's a little over 2 months from now, giving them plenty of time to make the necessary room under the cap. The problem lies with the RFAs. They'll need to clear a little more than 2 million bucks more to sign Cruz, S. Brown, & A. Brown, at the RFA tender rates mentioned above. They will need to do this within the next calendar month, which gives them time, but the clock is definitely clicking.

I didn't even count the money that the Giants need to make under the cap for re-signing their own players in Unrestricted Free Agency (UFA), which include: Beatty, Bennett, Boothe, Hixon, Carr, and maybe even guys like a Chase Blackburn and Keith Rivers to fortify the LB corps--God knows that they're short on bodies at that particular position.

With the cap being tight like it is, the Giants may have to re-sign guys like Blackburn and Rivers because of circumstances due to the salary cap and lack of depth at the Linebacker position. Those 2 would not cost much, and the Giants are know what they can do (which is rather be limited, unfortunately). I didn't even bother to mention Osi, Phillips, or Tynes because it's widely assumed that they're gone, and would cost too much to keep.

Don't forget that the Giants need money to sign other players too, if they would like, so that means guys on the roster whose performances don't match their high cap numbers, like a Diehl or a Webster, or even a Tuck or a Snee (although unlikely for these latter two), could be targets for paycuts or being released. The option to restructured some deals for guys on the team, not in danger of of being released in order to create more cap room this year--although at expense of creating more in later years--is also there. Ideal candidates for that include guys like Eli and Rolle.

All in all, the Giants will be forced into making more hard decisions with respect to the cap in order to make room for the RFAs (Cruz and the 2 Browns), rookies, and in order to re-sign their own UFAs. They'll have room to probably a select couple of guys from other teams in UFA, but it won't be many. Don't bank on any splurges for a FA RT if they re-sign Beatty to play OLT, or another similar player at that position to take his place, like a B. Albert. Like many years past, the Giants will be up against the cap, and won't be splurging on FAs.

ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

#80 - Get well soon Vic

quite frankly i think this is getting overblown; our cap situation. i bet they could do something with eli's contract that'd create more than enough space to do whats needed this offseason with the future in mind...and besides, all 3 could be cut except snee, and MAYBE tuck altho its lookin likely. webster and diehl are probably goners and know it

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i bet they could do something with eli's contract that'd create more than enough space to do whats needed this offseason with the future in mind
    That's one of the main reasons we're in this situation. Eli restructured the last 2 years, you want him to have a cap hit of $40 million next year?

remember also, the restructuring isnt necessarily an issue if the players gonna keep performing at a high level. such as the case with eli, because at some point we're going to extend him, and then all that restructured backed up space can be divied up along the next contract...it becomes an issue when a guy underperforms like webster and are staring at 10 mil for a season of garbage granola play and are handcuffed somewhat

Basically if we cut Dehil and Webster (as they deserve)in addition to already being under 4 well have 16 mill to work with and needed about 10 according to that article. If that's the case then we need to make those 2 cuts. Snee and Tuck are necessary but I'd honestly rather take my chance with FA or Rookie CBs than pay Webster that much

cutting Webster save over 7 mil.. wow

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    cutting Webster save over 7 mil.. wow
    In other words, "Nice knowing ya CWeb!!"

This thread should be automatically pasted as a response to any future thread suggesting free agents for the Giants to sign. I just don't see how it's possible for us to resign all of our own free agents. Unfortunately I think Bennett is going to be the odd man out.

Veteran
    webby needs to restructure or get the hell outta town with that pay day... Wayyy over paid.

nah im talking more along the lines of working out a possible extension now to spread out the cap hit more, or taken a general pay cut that the proceeds go directly toward the wr issue...and ur statement isnt entirely accurate either. the giants for all intents and purpose could simply convert elis salary into a guaranteed payout that takes place all at once, thus somehow negating most of his cap hit (not sure if i explained that correctly, perhaps someone can explain that rule better. it may not be in place anymore but i do remember teams doing that with certain players, converting the salary into some guaranteed format that negates a majority of the cap hit).