+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 84

Thread: It's not crazy if Giants pick Nicks over Cruz

  1. #41
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    No, he didn't. He restructured, not renegotiated.
    This is what I'm going by. I guess its subject to interpretation.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ts-675-million
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #42
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    This is what I'm going by. I guess its subject to interpretation.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ts-675-million
    And you're reading it wrong. He was due $10.75m last year in salary. He reduced his salary to $1.75m and the team "guaranteed" the remaining $9m so it could be pro-rated over the remaining years of the contract. There was no additional money. That $9m was originally part of his salary for 2012. Here's a bit from RV:

    According to two NFL sources who saw the terms of the restructuring, the move, disclosed Thursday. involved reducing Manning’s base salary from $10.75 million to $1.75 million. The remaining $9 million was converted to a guarantee — either in the form of an upfront bonus, or simply a guaranteed portion of his salary. That allowed the Giants to spread the cap hit from that $9 million over the final four years of his current deal.
    That in turn reduced Manning’s cap number from $16.35 million to just $9.6 million this season, although it does increase his number by $2.25 million in each of the ensuing three years.


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2LMYLVhs8

  3. #43
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    And you're reading it wrong. He was due $10.75m last year in salary. He reduced his salary to $1.75m and the team "guaranteed" the remaining $9m so it could be pro-rated over the remaining years of the contract. There was no additional money. That $9m was originally part of his salary for 2012. Here's a bit from RV:

    According to two NFL sources who saw the terms of the restructuring, the move, disclosed Thursday. involved reducing Manning’s base salary from $10.75 million to $1.75 million. The remaining $9 million was converted to a guarantee — either in the form of an upfront bonus, or simply a guaranteed portion of his salary. That allowed the Giants to spread the cap hit from that $9 million over the final four years of his current deal.
    That in turn reduced Manning’s cap number from $16.35 million to just $9.6 million this season, although it does increase his number by $2.25 million in each of the ensuing three years.


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2LMYLVhs8
    It seems that you are right. The only advantage for Eli is that he got that $9MM up front as a bonus instead of having to wait for it over the course of the season. Since it was a"bonus" the club could defer the cap hit over several years.
    So essentially he got a check for $9MM when they redid the contract. But he would have gotten that money over time anyway.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #44
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    35,201
    Unless he got cut.

    From the giants perspective they shaved 9 mil that season but added 9 mil in dead money in future years.

  5. #45
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    It seems that you are right. The only advantage for Eli is that he got that $9MM up front as a bonus instead of having to wait for it over the course of the season. Since it was a"bonus" the club could defer the cap hit over several years.
    So essentially he got a check for $9MM when they redid the contract. But he would have gotten that money over time anyway.
    It didn't change when he got the money. If he didn't restructure, his base salary would have been guaranteed on the first day of the season. It just changed the way the FO was able to account for it against the cap.

  6. #46
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,186
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Unless he got cut.

    From the giants perspective they shaved 9 mil that season but added 9 mil in dead money in future years.
    He would have had to be cut before Week 1, otherwise all his base salary would have been guaranteed anyway.

  7. #47
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    18,305
    Obviously we all would like both receivers on our team. Salary implications may not allow that. If that is the case Nick would be a no brainer without the injury consideration. Even factoring that in, I believe Nicks is a clear choice because he has shown himself to be dominant on the outside which is where big boy WR play (no knock on Cruz who is a real play maker himself).
    No one remembers who came in second.

  8. #48
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,532
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I still think the slot position manufacturers yards. And they could plug any moderately intelligent receiver in there and get 800+ yards.

    Finding an outside receiver is much more difficult.
    I honestly cant believe some of you. Must be the same poeple who think Osi and Tuck completely suck and call them names and crap forgetting they were a huge part of 2 Superbowl teams in the last 5 years.

    Cruz is not a dime a dozen WR. He has an exceptional gift. Yeah, he didnt play as good in 2012 as in 2011, but he still was very solid. He set the Giants all time receiving record 2 years ago. He had a 99 yard catch where He was the reason, jukin defenders silly and making them look ******ed. Nicks is injury prone. He is like Bradshaw IMO. He can not stay on the field. When healthy he is a top 5 WR in the league, but that only is the case for 6-8 games a year. Cruz is reliable.


    5trive for Fiv5

  9. #49
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    It didn't change when he got the money. If he didn't restructure, his base salary would have been guaranteed on the first day of the season. It just changed the way the FO was able to account for it against the cap.
    I read an article that said he got the money immediately. I'll see if I can find it.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #50
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    42,478
    Here it is. It says that Eli got the $9MM immediately.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...dger-says.html
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts