+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not crazy if Giants pick Nicks over Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I honestly cant believe some of you. Must be the same poeple who think Osi and Tuck completely suck and call them names and crap forgetting they were a huge part of 2 Superbowl teams in the last 5 years.

Cruz is not a dime a dozen WR. He has an exceptional gift. Yeah, he didnt play as good in 2012 as in 2011, but he still was very solid. He set the Giants all time receiving record 2 years ago. He had a 99 yard catch where He was the reason, jukin defenders silly and making them look ******ed. Nicks is injury prone. He is like Bradshaw IMO. He can not stay on the field. When healthy he is a top 5 WR in the league, but that only is the case for 6-8 games a year. Cruz is reliable.
    I never said anything about Cruz not being a good player. My point is he should be paid like a 600-900 yard receiver. Not a 1,500 yard receiver. If Cruz expects to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league he can find that money elsewhere. The giants meanwhile will find someone else who makes almost nothing and get 800 or so yards from them in the slot position

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I never said anything about Cruz not being a good player. My point is he should be paid like a 600-900 yard receiver. Not a 1,500 yard receiver. If Cruz expects to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league he can find that money elsewhere. The giants meanwhile will find someone else who makes almost nothing and get 800 or so yards from them in the slot position
    But that's not what he is.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    When healthy Nicks is more important. Problem is he seems to be injured a lot. Cruz seems to be more durable and has had two nice seasons. Do you over pay a slot guy though? Maybe the Giants think that a healthy Nicks, Randle, and JJ will be fine.
    +1, I agree. I wouldn't break the bank for a slot receiver. I do feel that Cruz will be back with us next season, but I don't think he is going to get offered what he thinks he is worth by any team. He is a valuable piece, but I would take a healthy Nick over a healthy Cruz any day of the week.
    "In Reese, We No Longer Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Here it is. It says that Eli got the $9MM immediately.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...dger-says.html
    That's what happens with "guaranteed" money - you get it up front as opposed to having to wait.

It's money he'd have received anyway.

But that's not what he is.
    Put him outside and he's likely a 600 yard receiver at best.

Like I said, the slot position manufacturers yards schematically. Don't need a great receiver to do well there. Just need one who is intelligent enough and has some toughness

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    That's what happens with "guaranteed" money - you get it up front as opposed to having to wait.

It's money he'd have received anyway.
    Well yes...thats exactly what I said. Another poster said he didn't get it up front.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Put him outside and he's likely a 600 yard receiver at best.

Like I said, the slot position manufacturers yards schematically. Don't need a great receiver to do well there. Just need one who is intelligent enough and has some toughness
    I'm trying to find the scheme that enables a WR to catch a ball ten yards downfield, split two defenders, and outrun an entire secondary for 99 yards.

I'm sure that how that play was drawn up.
    Get well soon 80.

I read an article that said he got the money immediately. I'll see if I can find it.
    Yes, he probably did. So, then he got the money a few months sooner, as in one check in March as opposed to getting it in paychecks throughout the season? That seems a pretty minor detail to me, really. And to be completely honest, and to clarify since I wasn't being very specific, when I said it didn't affect when he got the money, I was talking more about the calendar/season year, meaning he was going to get that money in 2012.

I'm trying to find the scheme that enables a WR to catch a ball ten yards downfield, split two defenders, and outrun an entire secondary for 99 yards.

And you missed what I said entirely.

The slot position manufacturers yards. Probably in the range of 600-800 yards. It's easy to replace that yardage with a new player. Cruz's value is what he does beyond that. Turning the 600-800 yards into 1100-1500 yards.

Cruz has made some great plays, but overall his production would be easier to replace than Nicks'.

+ Reply to Thread