+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: It's not crazy if Giants pick Nicks over Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    I wouldnt be so sure about even this year. Cruz is a RFA... Meaning he can field offers from other teams. The giants have the right to match any offer. if the offer is some CRAZY money then the giants will have to let him go. end of story. Also according to another Thread the Giants may not use their franchise tag. I thought they might with Cruz.. so there is no Guarantee that we start 2013 with both of them
    It's unlikely that a team will give up a 1st AND a big contract to Cruz. If it were one or the other, very possibly, but I think the combination will prove too rich for most GMs to seriously consider.

There'd be no good reason to use our franchise tag on Cruz. The franchise tag would cost us nearly $10m in salary this season, where as the tender would only cost $3m. I don't think the very, very, very slim possibility of getting an extra 1st would be worth the difference in pay this season.
    Last edited by Drez; 02-19-2013 at 02:50 PM.

I wouldnt be so sure about even this year. Cruz is a RFA... Meaning he can field offers from other teams. The giants have the right to match any offer. if the offer is some CRAZY money then the giants will have to let him go. end of story. Also according to another Thread the Giants may not use their franchise tag. I thought they might with Cruz.. so there is no Guarantee that we start 2013 with both of them
    Cruz will either negotiate a cap friendly long term contract, or get paid a little less than $2.5MM. Thats the tender amount.
    I have said for weeks that I think he's worth something like 4 to 5 years and $26 to $30MM.
    That's top 15 or so money which he is deserving of.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Also according to another Thread the Giants may not use their franchise tag. I thought they might with Cruz.. so there is no Guarantee that we start 2013 with both of them
    The Giants also have the option of tendering him.
    Placing a 1st round tender on Cruz would lock him in on a one-year, 2.88 million dollar contract. The only catch is that any team can acquire him if they give up a 1st round pick and are willing to sign Cruz to a new contract.

Given the terms, it's highly unlikely that Cruz will be playing for any other team this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Cruz will either negotiate a cap friendly long term contract, or get paid a little less than $2.5MM. Thats the tender amount.
    I have said for weeks that I think he's worth something like 4 to 5 years and $26 to $30MM.
    agreed
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Its a minor point but that's not what you meant at all.
    I said that he got the money up front and you retorted that it didn't effect when he got the money.
    Lets keep it real here my friend.
    How do you know exactly what I meant? I said it didn't change when he got the money. When I said that I meant 2012. Nothing more, nothing less. You presume too much.

It's very rare that a team will cough up a 1st round tender and a huge contract. I have suggested the Pats "might" if they saw Cruz as a younger, cheaper, better prospect than Welker who they have said they won't tag. And I still don't see it happening even though New England was close to $20M under the CAP at the end of the 2012 season.

Per John Mara, they are going to tender Cruz if they can't agree to a long term deal. That is a one year deal for just under $3M
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-19-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If I were in the Cruz camp, I'd push for a back loaded 5 year deal, $35M - $37M, and a slightly bigger guarantee than might be normal.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Not with Eli making $20mil a year. I think Cruz is the way to go over Nicks by the way. Nicks is ALWAYS hurt. Cruz has been legit through 2 years. Also, Randle can fill Nicks spot easier then Cruz'
    Randle...Randle?! No.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    How do you know exactly what I meant? I said it didn't change when he got the money. When I said that I meant 2012. Nothing more, nothing less. You presume too much.
    Because I said that he got the $9MM up front instead of having to wait for the money over the length of the season. and you responded that it had no effect on when he got the money.

Its not rocket science.

Admit your sins so we can all move on to another argument.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If I were in the Cruz camp, I'd push for a back loaded 5 year deal, $35M - $37M, and a slightly bigger guarantee than might be normal.
    I figure it would be $11 or 12MM guaranteed.

+ Reply to Thread