+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    We could lower Eli's cap hit by giving him an extension with only moderate guaranteed money.
    I suggjested this in another thread. I think eli would be good for another 5-7 years and still be effective. so they sign him to a 5yr ext... and spread out some of this money and give like you said only moderate GMoney. I dont think he would expect a SUPER contract anyway at this point in his carreer. Then they can take some of the money saved over next two seasons and resign both
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    The only chance we have is for Eli to realize that the FO cant afford to keep his 2 best WRs and at his age he cant afford to wait for the Gmen to draft another star or two at that position and sit around for 2/3 years till their ready to be Stars. If he wants to go down in NFL history and be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana then he may have to do some hard thinking about what he makes per year and move around some money to help re sign those two
    Opting to earn well below his market value would be simply insane. Eli would probably need to shed over $10 mil per year to enable the team to sign Cruz and Nicks at their market values. It just isn't going to happen.

Eli would be better off requesting a trade than accepting a pay cut.

This is a Reese issue, not an Eli issue.

I have the number a little closer to 36k, lol. But, I had him at 550 attempts, I'd imagine you had him around 525?
    your closer than I lol that is insanity no one I dont care who is worth that much. Now if they were all complete then we could talk.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Playing well below his market value would be simply insane. Eli would probably need to shed over $10 mil per year to enable the team to sign Cruz and Nicks at their market values. It just isn't going to happen.

Eli would be better off requesting a trade than accepting a pay cut.
    again i am in no way saying the giants should approach him on this. I am saying he would have to be the one to make the hard choice to take less on his own. and then he would have those two to work with till he retires which i think will give him a better shot at a few more SBs then without them
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I'm willing to cut money from every position except QB. If you look at Eli's 2012-13 season, it wasn't a 20 mill year for him, but you can't win them all every year.

Over the course of his career he's definitely earned what he's getting, specially with how this league is structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    As I said, both Rodgers and Ben make less than $12MM/year. Thats 3 SB's that were won by QB's who don't make near $20MM.
    Rodgers was on a contract he extended during his first year of starting (unproven player contract... What would he get on the open market now?) Ben's cap hit this season is nearly $20m. His cap hit for the remainder of his contract is also about $15m. He also extended his contract in 2007, iirc, which has an effect on the total value. I'd imagine his contract value is slightly less for a variety of reasons, though mostly due to injury concerns. I'm sure the fact that they had to add a dangerous activities clause lowers his value, too. All that notwithstanding, what would he get if he was on the open market right now?

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I'm willing to cut money from every position except QB. If you look at Eli's 2012-13 season, it wasn't a 20 mill year for him, but you can't win them all every year.

Over the course of his career he's definitely earned what he's getting, specially with how this league is structured.
    If you look at his 2012-13 salary it wasn't $20m, either. More like $8m.

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    I suggjested this in another thread. I think eli would be good for another 5-7 years and still be effective. so they sign him to a 5yr ext... and spread out some of this money and give like you said only moderate GMoney. I dont think he would expect a SUPER contract anyway at this point in his carreer. Then they can take some of the money saved over next two seasons and resign both
    Hell, I was only thinking extending him 3 years. That'll put him under contract until he's 36 or 37, and if he's playing at a high level towards the end of his contract we can always extend him another couple years. But, the shorter extension protects the team better against a decline with age.

Also, I believe there's a cap on the number of years you can pro-rate a bonus... I think it's 4 years, might be 5, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    As I said, both Rodgers and Ben make less than $12MM/year. Thats 3 SB's that were won by QB's who don't make near $20MM.
    You are completely missing the point. And Roethlisberger's cap hit this season is nearly as high as Eli's. So, you're even wrong on that.

If you look at his 2012-13 salary it wasn't $20m, either. More like $8m.
    Yea exactly, I'm just admitting that last year's performance isn't worthy of 20 mill (what he's about to make this year)....indicating that he needs to play better. And so does this abysmal o-line...