+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Player

Should Big Blue consider the Honey Badger?

In spite of his off-field issues, does his talent make him worthy of a selection? He could certainly contribute and I'm sure our locker room could handle him. Getting away from Louisiana will do him good too. Thoughts, opinions?http://www.downattheone.com/College-...Badger-Problem

Yes from 5th round on

can't see JR taking him.. I would though
    (1)Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh - (2)Troy Niklas, TE Notre Dame - (3)Jack Mewhort, OT Ohio State
    (4)Brandon Coleman, WR Rutgers - (5)Bryan Stork, C Florida State - (5)Tyler Gaffney, RB Stanford
    (6)Prince Shembo, OLB Notre Dame

Watching Mathieu play, he was really a major reason why LSU was successful a couple of seasons ago. I personally think he is better suited playing safety for us if he was on the team because Hosely is already our slot guy, and I think Mathieu size would be a major liability as the #2 corner. He is crazy talented but unfortunately, he is a headcase from what I heard. Last year, I was hoping we draft Janoris Jenkins because he was IMO, the best corner in that draft and he played like it last year. They both had OTF issues but like B-Red said, if he's there in round 5, why not.

Bronx NYC ......... Justin Gilbert "bandwagoneer"
    I would consider him. I actually see a team taking a flyer on him in the 3rd. He's not an elite type CB but he's versatile as hell and has a knack for making plays. Not to mention he's a dangerous kick returner too.

He's a guy who can help his cause by testing and interviewing well at the combine.

Janoris Jenkins was a much better cover corner than Mathieu though. Jenkins manned up the SEC';s best WR's on the outside. He is a much better player than Mathieu. Mathieu is a sub package player and Kick returner. Strong Safety / Nickel CB play short zone coverage or man up smaller WR's

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Janoris Jenkins was a much better cover corner than Mathieu though. Jenkins manned up the SEC';s best WR's on the outside. He is a much better player than Mathieu. Mathieu is a sub package player and Kick returner. Strong Safety / Nickel CB play short zone coverage or man up smaller WR's
    mathieu is much more than coverage,,the kid has ed reed ball skills and is a pretty elusive return man. he strips the ball like no one I have ever seen,,he is always around the ball making plays and he isn't afaid to tackle,,you cant teach his instincts. if we could grab him in the 5th on why not? move him to safety where he can use his talents, he doesn't have to line up against anybody to be effective. he will be gone in the 3rd round, so all of this is mute.

No. Mathieu isn't much more than coverage. He isn't a coverage player at all.

He's a good football player, but he haven't played in a long time and he was always tiny to begin with. Don't think you touch him in the draft. Undrafted sure. But he isn't a starter. He's a sub package guy at best. May end up only being a returner at his size

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    No. Mathieu isn't much more than coverage. He isn't a coverage player at all.

He's a good football player, but he haven't played in a long time and he was always tiny to begin with. Don't think you touch him in the draft. Undrafted sure. But he isn't a starter. He's a sub package guy at best. May end up only being a returner at his size
    if you line him up on a receiver, no he isnt a coverage guy. you play him at safety and he is much better. not a chance he goes undrafted, he's gonna go in the third or fourth round to a team like baltimore or the 49ers. not saying he is a starter but to take a flier on him in a later round where many prospects get cut anyways is a no brainer if he were there. he was tiny when he excelled in the sec against NFL caliber players. I think a lot of teams will wish they rolled the dice. also, he is an inch shorter than janoris jenkins and 10 pounds lighter,,not much difference there so the whole tiny thing isn't as glaring as you make it sound, his 2 year total SEC numbers were better than jenkins 3 year sec totals. bottom line is the kid can play.
    Last edited by ELI_HOF_NYG; 02-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.

The difference is Jenkins is an outside corner. Don't have to be the biggest guy to play there. That's not what Mathieu does though. Watch any film of him having to cover a receiver, he struggles a ton. His strength was how physical he was and he created turnovers with his instincts. But how long is a 175 pound guy who tries to hit hard every play going to last in the nfl? Weeks I would guess.

Plus all his off the field baggage. And teams want guys they know what to do with. Not a mystery tweeter type.

I'm not sure if he runs real well at the combine either. Not sure he has special speed. Might be more of a mid 4.4 guy
    Last edited by slipknottin; 02-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.