+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Veteran ELI_HOF_NYG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    allentown,pa
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    The difference is Jenkins is an outside corner. Don't have to be the biggest guy to play there. That's not what Mathieu does though. Watch any film of him having to cover a receiver, he struggles a ton. His strength was how physical he was and he created turnovers with his instincts. But how long is a 175 pound guy who tries to hit hard every play going to last in the nfl? Weeks I would guess.

    Plus all his off the field baggage. And teams want guys they know what to do with.
    well slip,,,his college numbers suggest differently. he wont be a corner in the NFL, he will most likely move to safety where his ball skills can be utilized. look at all the small running backs that have taken a pounding such as charlie garner and dave meggett, he needs to put on some weight and he will be fine.

  2. #12
    Veteran ELI_HOF_NYG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    allentown,pa
    Posts
    1,701
    all I have to say is if guys like charlie garner and dave meggett who took a pounding as diminutive running backs can have productive careers in the league so can this kid. I think teams will find a place for a special talent like mathieu, his ball skills are undeniable. I agree though, the faster he runs at the combine the better for him.

  3. #13
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    38,666
    Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    well slip,,,his college numbers suggest differently. he wont be a corner in the NFL, he will most likely move to safety where his ball skills can be utilized. look at all the small running backs that have taken a pounding such as charlie garner and dave meggett, he needs to put on some weight and he will be fine.
    Now you're talking about guys years ago. What 175 pound safety's are there in the nfl? The only position guys that size can play and survive for any length of time is as a returner and possibly a sub package guy where they don't get hit much.

  4. #14
    Veteran ELI_HOF_NYG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    allentown,pa
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Now you're talking about guys years ago. What 175 pound safety's are there in the nfl? The only position guys that size can play and survive for any length of time is as a returner and possibly a sub package guy where they don't get hit much.
    yeah, guys who played against much bigger defensive players, the year doesnt matter, its the fact that is if a small running back can make it, matthieu can certainly make it in a position where he isnt getting pounded on. the defensive guys werent any smaller back in the day. sub package could suit him well,, piut him in and go after the ball.

  5. #15
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    38,666
    And lets not forget he only had 4 career college interceptions. He made his big plays doing a lot of other things. Blitzing he was exceptional. Both against run and pass. And the ball on fumbles always seemed to find him

  6. #16
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    38,666
    Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    yeah, guys who played against much bigger defensive players, the year doesnt matter, its the fact that is if a small running back can make it, matthieu can certainly make it in a position where he isnt getting pounded on. the defensive guys werent any smaller back in the day. sub package could suit him well,, piut him in and go after the ball.
    What undersized backs are playing in the league right now that get any kind of significant carries?

    You keep bringing up this back in the day stuff like that's still relevant. Nose tackles back then were maybe 300 pounds at most. Guards and centers were 280 pounds.

  7. #17
    Veteran ELI_HOF_NYG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    allentown,pa
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    What undersized backs are playing in the league right now that get any kind of significant carries?

    You keep bringing up this back in the day stuff like that's still relevant. Nose tackles back then were maybe 300 pounds at most. Guards and centers were 280 pounds.
    I'm bringing it up to make a point you are missing, and by the way, Antoine Winfield and Jim Leonard were mathieu's size and played pretty well in the NFL so it is possible for the kid to make it.

  8. #18
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    38,666
    And in Leonard's 7 year career he's made it through all 16 games 3 times... And one of those seasons he wasent a starter.

    Winfield's 13 year career he made it through all 16 games 6 times.

    Neither has stayed healthy for even half of their seasons... Pretty stunning that those guys get hurt far more frequently.

    Winfield had the added benefit of playing outside for a large part of his career. Though in a cover 2 he was asked to make a lot of run support tackles.

  9. #19
    Veteran ELI_HOF_NYG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    allentown,pa
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    And in Leonard's 7 year career he's made it through all 16 games 3 times... And one of those seasons he wasent a starter.

    Winfield's 13 year career he made it through all 16 games 6 times.

    Neither has stayed healthy for even half of their seasons... Pretty stunning that those guys get hurt far more frequently.

    Winfield had the added benefit of playing outside for a large part of his career. Though in a cover 2 he was asked to make a lot of run support tackles.
    well, lets wait and see what happens in the draft.
    Last edited by ELI_HOF_NYG; 02-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    all I have to say is if guys like charlie garner and dave meggett who took a pounding as diminutive running backs can have productive careers in the league so can this kid. I think teams will find a place for a special talent like mathieu, his ball skills are undeniable. I agree though, the faster he runs at the combine the better for him.
    Your saying ball skills but his ball skills arent sitting in Cover 2 in the deep half and making plays on the ball. He is coming in as the 2nd guy and ripping the ball out ,forcing fumbles. there is a difference between Earl Thomas , Ed Reed type in single high reading the QB and breaking on the ball. Can Mathieu do that maybe but thats not the ball skills he showed at LSU. Mathieu made plays close to the line of scrimmage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts