+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mingo 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo'Ed View Post
    You make some good points.

I just worry that if we draft him he might be less effective with added weight.

In the end, I could care less how much he weighs as long as he can play.

I don't think the Miller to Mingo comparison is an apples to apples one; Mingo was a college DE, Miller played OLB in college as well as now in the pros.

BTW, I'm glad you brought up Strahan, as he started with us (listed) as 275 lb., but he certainly was lean (255 lbs. as you stated) at the end of his career.

Strahan was a freak really, he seemed to lose weight and be more effective; he was real lean and strong at the end of his career and most certainly not just a speed rusher (just ask John Runyan!).
    The kind of defense they played in College is irrelevant. Mingos skill set translates very well into the same role Von Miller has in Denver. U guys when looking at Mingo have to understand what LSU is asking him to do and how it doesnt lend itself to Sack numbers. This is why reading stats as a barometer really doesnt hold water. Had Mingo been lined up a 9 and told to attack his sack numbers would of been in the double digits. Mingo is asked to spy and contain.
    Mingo athletically is very special im not going to say is without flaws and im not going to say he isnt a risk but all picks are. Mingo is the best player I saw against the read option in CFB this season. With more and more running QB's coming through the ranks in CFB. .With Robert Griffin and now Chip Kelly's Offense in the NFC East we are minimum playing running QB's 4 times a year. Thats not counting on getting past teams like the 49ers and Seahawks.
    Here are some examples of the physical ability im talking about

This is Mingo chasing down Lamichael james from behind when Oregon decides to option him. Look at the burst and pure speed

Watch him beat the pulling LG to the spot and FF. Again elite burst and speed

When I watch LSU im befuddled that they didnt get him more blitz chances. Its seems like your wasting the best part of his game
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 02-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.

i saw mingos being ranked as the 4th best OLB! figure he actually he could be available at 19, could easily happen actually...i wouldnt mind him altho now im hoping JR pulls a lil magic and we can get a player of his caliber in the 2nd on top of a stud 1rst rd

im a huge proponent of mingo. over ansah imo even. tremendous burst, awesome containment vs mobile qbs, and he played with as much passion being used as a decoy or to set up stunts as he did when he was lining up 1v1 to get after the qb. he has tremendous athleticism. he needs to add 10 or so lbs but i doubt that being an issue. id see him coming in and being a legitimate role player/pass rush situation guy and having a good rookie campaign.
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 02-23-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i saw mingos being ranked as the 4th best OLB! figure he actually he could be available at 19, could easily happen actually...i wouldnt mind him altho now im hoping JR pulls a lil magic and we can get a player of his caliber in the 2nd on top of a stud 1rst rd

im a huge proponent of mingo. over ansah imo even. tremendous burst, awesome containment vs mobile qbs, and he played with as much passion being used as a decoy or to set up stunts as he did when he was lining up 1v1 to get after the qb. he has tremendous athleticism. he needs to add 10 or so lbs but i doubt that being an issue. id see him coming in and being a legitimate role player/pass rush situation guy and having a good rookie campaign.
    is he a 3 down player?

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    is he a 3 down player?
    dont see why not. dont think we'd need him to be 1 as a rookie anyways. eventually, of course and kinda like kiwi where it could be OLB or DE. but even still I'd say yes bc on 3rd and passing situations is when I'd want Mingo threatening the edge the most...and he defends the read option exceptionally well too...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    dont see why not. dont think we'd need him to be 1 as a rookie anyways. eventually, of course and kinda like kiwi where it could be OLB or DE. but even still I'd say yes bc on 3rd and passing situations is when I'd want Mingo threatening the edge the most...and he defends the read option exceptionally well too...
    he seems to be very questionable against the run, but I have seen some of his skills compared to that of j.j. watt which ain't a bad thing at all. I just wish he was solid against the run in addition to his pass rush ability, but hence the word prospect. he's a big boy.

+ Reply to Thread