+ Reply to Thread

"Raw" vs "Polished?"

When looking over draft profiles you see that a player can be Raw but have upside, or Polished. Which players would you rather have on your team?

Well outside of the top 10 or 15 picks you don't often find polished guys who have great athleticism.

Usually the polished guys are lesser physical talents, but are better at the finer points of the game.

The way I would put it is this
    Raw players need coaching
    Polished players need athleticism

Only one of those is normally possible to attain.

I was thinking about it today, and yeah you're right usually players outside of the top 15 are either raw or need coaching. I was thinking about how a GM would structure a team and I had this crazy idea that he would put one together much like a stock broker would structure a mutual fund portfolio.

what percent of top 15 picks turn out to be busts?
    Last edited by ELI_HOF_NYG; 02-21-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teaneck View Post
    When looking over draft profiles you see that a player can be Raw but have upside, or Polished. Which players would you rather have on your team?
    Very few players are actually "polished" coming out of college (which as Slip points out, is a synonym for "not physically gifted but still does well").

Polished players are generally your first/second round picks, and then only selectively. Hakeem Nicks is a great example of a "polished" player coming out of college. JPP is a great example of raw talent.

Usually your picks tend to fall somewhere in between the two.

For the record, I prefer "polished" over raw project in most cases (depending the position of course).

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Polished players need athleticism
    I would say they need either athleticism or measurables.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Good point. A lot of them are undersized. Or a combo of undersized and lacking athleticism

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Isn't athleticism one of the measurable? Just like intelligence and positional knowledge (raw or polished). Given all other measurables remaining equal I would say that I would prefer a polished player. Which measurable do I think is more important certainly athleticism would be up there, depending on the position at DT for example needs to be strong to hold up the middle of the line that may be a case where athleticism may be the second thing I look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Isn't athleticism one of the measurable? Just like intelligence and positional knowledge (raw or polished). Given all other measurables remaining equal I would say that I would prefer a polished player. Which measurable do I think is more important certainly athleticism would be up there, depending on the position at DT for example needs to be strong to hold up the middle of the line that may be a case where athleticism may be the second thing I look at.
    ehh typically, when you say "measurables" with regards to a football player you are talking about height / weight/ arm length/ hand size/ or any number of specific measurements used for different positions. You can argue parts of athleticism is measurable, but that isnt typically what people mean when they say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Very few players are actually "polished" coming out of college (which as Slip points out, is a synonym for "not physically gifted but still does well").

Polished players are generally your first/second round picks, and then only selectively. Hakeem Nicks is a great example of a "polished" player coming out of college. JPP is a great example of raw talent.

Usually your picks tend to fall somewhere in between the two.

For the record, I prefer "polished" over raw project in most cases (depending the position of course).
    On Defense especially on the Dline but also at LB I want the most physically gifted players. On offense it doesnt matter as much to me. OT I like good athletes
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 02-22-2013 at 09:08 AM.