Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Watching Kurt Warner a football life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    If it was "1st ballot" that Kurt was arguing as questionable, then I wouldn't mind so much. A lot of well deserving people don't get in on 1st ballot (like Strahan), but will eventually make it in. Kurt was saying that Eli wasn't HoF material at all based on what he's done so far. He DID give the stipulation that if Eli produced stats like he had up to that point, he could get in even without a 3rd ring. But honestly, what person who retired with 2 SBMVPs to his name isn't in the HoF?
    My mistake. However, if Eli Manning's career ended right now, I can see the debate. I think he goes in HoF but I can see where some would think he wouldn't and Kurt Warner's opinion was that Eli Manning wouldn't make it if his career ended now.

thats not true buffyblue. technically, what happened, is right after sb 46, some writers were commenting that the win would solidify a HoF spot when his career ended. they werent saying "eli manning, HOF right now lets vote him in." So, IF warner was actually coming from that perspective, itd be unwarranted, as no one had claimed eli manning was ending his career, and 5 yrs theyd be voting on him, so for warner to then remark about eli not being HoF wasnt based on the premise that he still had to play out his career, it was that the 2 sb mvps and all, werent worthy of a HoF...thats why he backtracked like immediately the next day into a more PC, "he still has his career to finish out" but he had already made it clear he had objected to the notion he was HoF worthy...but to be fair, imho, it coulda been anyone not named kurt warner and he woulda had an issue about their being discussed as HoF and not him, which is what i believe ultimately triggered him to respond in the first place...

and fwiw, imho, eli makes the HoF whether he hangs em up tomorrow r plays 10 more yrs and breaks every record...2 sb mvps carry way more weight with the voters than some realize

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    and fwiw, imho, eli makes the HoF whether he hangs em up tomorrow r plays 10 more yrs and breaks every record...2 sb mvps carry way more weight with the voters than some realize
    I agree with you here. I think statistically good years would pad his enshrinement, but I think he is good enough to make it now. In 2011 he almost singlehandedly carried them through the year and then capped it off with a second Super Bowl win and another MVP. I know there are a lot of people that think he isn't there yet, but I am not one of them.

Kurt Warner is whack. He'll go into the HOF but he wasn't even that much better than a rookie Eli while he was in his own prime. As a matter of fact, a rookie Eli was better than a prime Warner in many aspects as a QB. Protection, audibles, pocket awareness etc. Kurt played like a deer in headlights in his final starts as a Giants and my eyes bled just by watching.

Quote Originally Posted by EliDaMANning View Post
    Kurt Warner is whack. He'll go into the HOF but he wasn't even that much better than a rookie Eli while he was in his own prime. As a matter of fact, a rookie Eli was better than a prime Warner in many aspects as a QB. Protection, audibles, pocket awareness etc. Kurt played like a deer in headlights in his final starts as a Giants and my eyes bled just by watching.
    2004 Giants with Warner: .......5 wins 4 losses
    2004 Giants with Manning:.... 1 win 6 losses.
    Get well soon 80.

Veteran
    People love eli a little too much

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    People love eli a little too much
    And that love just seems to twist their version of events.
    I mean....talk about revisionist history for God's sake.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    2004 Giants with Warner: .......5 wins 4 losses
    2004 Giants with Manning:.... 1 win 6 losses.

Kurt injured his thumb during his last year (or earlier) w the Rams and it wasnt until Arizona that he discovered that wearing a glove would compensate for the grip he lost on the ball. He had some serious issues with simply holding on the ball when in NY.

Who knows - had Warner discovered that while in NY (and played well), Eli may have never seen the field in 04.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    Kurt injured his thumb during his last year (or earlier) w the Rams and it wasnt until Arizona that he discovered that wearing a glove would compensate for the grip he lost on the ball. He had some serious issues with simply holding on the ball when in NY.

Who knows - had Warner discovered that while in NY (and played well), Eli may have never seen the field in 04.
    Its a good point.
    But my real point here was a response to a poster who suggested that 2004 Eli was somehow better than Warner. Now Eli has certainly developed into a fine player, but 2004 Eli was absolutely horrible. There was already talk about Eli being a bust after the Baltimore game (which may have been the worst performance by a Giants QB ever).

Its just another example of how some of these folks take this Eli thing way too far.
    Get well soon 80.

Closed Thread