+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My pre-combine mock

This mock is assuming that we can't retain any of our UFA (Bennett and Beatty being the big ones, as well as guys like Rivers, Hixon, Barden, and Tynes), but do get to tender our RFA (Cruz and the Browns)

Round 1: Lane Johnson -- OT -- Oklahoma
    Absolutely MUST acquire a new OT round 1, especially with Beatty being gone in this scenario and the absolute ****fest we have going on between a heavily injured and aging Locklear and a DD that is so declined that honestly he should retire.
    ==Alternate== DJ Fluker -- OT -- Alabama

Round 2: Kevin Minter -- ILB -- LSU
    This guy is actually ranked by the NFL draft tracker to be the same grade as Ogletree, and a couple projections here and there have him going in the first round. However, he's also a bit under the radar with guys like Ogletree, Te'o, and Mingo getting all the media attention as top linebacker picks, and he could quite possibly fall all the way to #51.
    ==Alternate== Khaseem Greene -- OLB -- Rutgers (would mean we'd have to roll with Blackburn for one more year but would still get a boost at LB)

Round 3: Jesse Williams -- DT -- Alabama
    With the top-heavy depth at DT in this draft, I think this guy could theoretically fall to the third round. He did play 3-4 nose tackle a lot in bama, but he can apparently do 5-tech quite well too. Great run stuffer, which is what we need.
    ==Alternate== Bennie Logan -- DT -- LSU

Round 4: D.C. Jefferson -- TE -- Rutgers
    A bit of a project with a lot to prove, but he's 6'6' and can get downfield easily, plus he's more than willing and able to pull blocking duty. NFL draft tracker actually says he compares a lot to Bennett in terms of play style and physical ability. He needs a bit of refinement, especially with his hands, to play at an NFL level, but we don't have the best TE coach in the league for nothing.

Round 5: Logan Ryan -- CB -- Rutgers
    A fairly raw athlete, but very physical and decent size for a CB. Under the assumption that our roster stays the same, Prince and Webster would still be around to start, giving Ryan a season to get up to speed for the NFL game and eventually replace Webster outside.

Round 6: Corey Fuller -- WR -- Virginia Tech
    Not much more than a depth receiver here, since this mock is assuming that Hixon and Barden are gone. Nicks-Cruz-Randle would be our starting trio, with Jernigan being our only depth, so a late round pickup here would only hlep.

Rount 7: A kicker. I don't really care who it is, but again Tynes won't be around and I trust Buehler to kick just about as much as I trust Ben Stein to not keep repeating his name...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 02-20-2013 at 07:00 PM.

wow.. tons of value here, seems impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    wow.. tons of value here, seems impossible
    I like to dream big... yeah it's probably not going to happen, especially Jesse Williams (who honestly could go as early as the beginning of the 2nd round) but still. Fill all our holes and get good athletes in the process. Like I said, I like to dream big.

Also I'm getting tired of seeing damn near every mock taking Ogletree or Te'o or Ansah or Rhodes in the first when OT is the biggest need BY FAR over everything else. I honestly don't see a way with the cap hell we're in that we can get Beatty back... which means that unless Reese stops ****ing around and uses the 1st round pick on the OL for a change, I truly fear for Eli's career...

Edit: I've added some alternates for the first three rounds that are more likely to be there when we pick but not as much value...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 02-20-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    This mock is assuming that we can't retain any of our UFA (Bennett and Beatty being the big ones, as well as guys like Rivers, Hixon, Barden, and Tynes), but do get to tender our RFA (Cruz and the Browns)

Round 1: Lane Johnson -- OT -- Oklahoma
    Absolutely MUST acquire a new OT round 1, especially with Beatty being gone in this scenario and the absolute ****fest we have going on between a heavily injured and aging Locklear and a DD that is so declined that honestly he should retire.
    ==Alternate== DJ Fluker -- OT -- Alabama

Round 2: Kevin Minter -- ILB -- LSU
    This guy is actually ranked by the NFL draft tracker to be the same grade as Ogletree, and a couple projections here and there have him going in the first round. However, he's also a bit under the radar with guys like Ogletree, Te'o, and Mingo getting all the media attention as top linebacker picks, and he could quite possibly fall all the way to #51.
    ==Alternate== Khaseem Greene -- OLB -- Rutgers (would mean we'd have to roll with Blackburn for one more year but would still get a boost at LB)

Round 3: Jesse Williams -- DT -- Alabama
    With the top-heavy depth at DT in this draft, I think this guy could theoretically fall to the third round. He did play 3-4 nose tackle a lot in bama, but he can apparently do 5-tech quite well too. Great run stuffer, which is what we need.
    ==Alternate== Bennie Logan -- DT -- LSU

Round 4: D.C. Jefferson -- TE -- Rutgers
    A bit of a project with a lot to prove, but he's 6'6' and can get downfield easily, plus he's more than willing and able to pull blocking duty. NFL draft tracker actually says he compares a lot to Bennett in terms of play style and physical ability. He needs a bit of refinement, especially with his hands, to play at an NFL level, but we don't have the best TE coach in the league for nothing.

Round 5: Logan Ryan -- CB -- Rutgers
    A fairly raw athlete, but very physical and decent size for a CB. Under the assumption that our roster stays the same, Prince and Webster would still be around to start, giving Ryan a season to get up to speed for the NFL game and eventually replace Webster outside.

Round 6: Corey Fuller -- WR -- Virginia Tech
    Not much more than a depth receiver here, since this mock is assuming that Hixon and Barden are gone. Nicks-Cruz-Randle would be our starting trio, with Jernigan being our only depth, so a late round pickup here would only hlep.

Rount 7: A kicker. I don't really care who it is, but again Tynes won't be around and I trust Buehler to kick just about as much as I trust Ben Stein to not keep repeating his name...
    I would go OL even if they resign Beatty. Makes no sense to have a franchise signal caller and explosive skill players but a leaky front 5. Eli aint fleet of foot like RG3 or even Romo. Give him time and he'll pick you apart. Give the backs some room and they will be in the second level in a heart beat. Gotta hang your hat on something. I want to see the opposing DL on the turf after getting smacked in the mouth. No more thinking too hard on short yardage situations. Line it up with Hynoski and Brown and keep the chains moving.
    “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
    ― George Carlin

Dream big indeed. I would LOVE that draft. Especially if we could land Lane Johnson in the 1st.. which sadly I see zero chance of happening.

Veteran
    Have to come away with a legitimate pass rusher this draft

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Dream big indeed. I would LOVE that draft. Especially if we could land Lane Johnson in the 1st.. which sadly I see zero chance of happening.
    agreed.. big fan of his

i have logan ryan on my mock in rd3 lol
    FUTURE NFL STAR

Pipe dream mock.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Well, honestly you never know, but that's why I added the alternates to the first three rounds that are a little more realistic, but while I wouldn't mind it I wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic...

Another alternate scenario if Johnson is gone (likely) would be to take Minter in Round 1 instead of praying to God that he's there in Round 2 (a definite reach at #19, but as I said in the OP, he has similar value to Ogletree and none of the character issues), and take either Dallas Thomas (Tennesee) or Oday Aboushi (Virginia) at OT in round 2. But I feel that unless Beatty is re-signed (which honestly I feel is highly unlikely), even Round 2 is too late to take an OT, since at that point we'd be looking for a definite LEFT tackle of the future, which you really need in round 1 or early 2, or else you're not going to get a good value there.

I put Logan Ryan in the 5th because there's 17 CBs rated higher than him as of now (of course, subject to change after combine), but if he's not there, other options include Sheldon Price (UCLA) or Rod Sweeting (Georgia Tech).

I need to dream big draft-wise, because otherwise this team has no legitimate offensive tackle on either side, no interior defensive line, the almighty Bear Pascoe as starting TE, one starting linebacker worth a damn who always gets injured (Williams), 4 wideouts total, and no cap money to sign free agents to fill those holes... It's the only hope I have to stave off that "sky is falling" feeling...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 02-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.