+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: this class of rbs makes me thankful for wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Nobody is a Wilson hater. He just thinks picking a RB in the first (no matter who it is) is a bad pick. I disagree but I get his point.
    Having that point of view does not make him a Wilson hater.
    The point of view isn't what makes him a hater, but in every single thread about Wilson,he's in it talking about what a waste Wilson is,makes him a hater....it's easy to look back after the fact & say "should've drafted this ___guy"....but in reality %90 of people around here would've went with Fleener

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    You can't quantify until they've all been in the league a few years.
    A RB can have an immediate impact. A LT or corner tend to take a lot longer to develop.
    As I understand his (and yes he's Lawl) position, RB's need to contribute right away because their shelf life in the NFL is shorter. So since Wilson didn't have the kind of season I'm sure JR had hoped for, he's suggesting that that works against his being drafted.
    In one respect i would tend to agree. You have to measure the early play of players differently. A corne or O lineman won't tend to produce as early as a RB would. Its just the reality of the league.
    well i view it differently. i mean we didnt take a rb top 10 or sumthin...last pick of rd 1 as sb defendng champs with a worsening run game.
    and if we cant quantify it for those other guys until a few years, why isnt that afforded to wilson? solely bc he plays rb?? i dont buy into that esp. when we took him 32nd overall...and, to be honest, i thought wilson looked as good running the ball as anyone that final lil stretch...and further, it wasnt as if he didnt contribute...he contributed a ton really as a ST return guy. we virtually won one game bc of him (N.O), and he made the probowl for the yr he had as a returner. id argue he outperformed those other guys by a ton and didnt even live up to half his potential....im sorry, id love to used wilson more last season, but i still feel he was used enough to display the skill that warranted a 1rst rd selection, whereas the other guys lawl listed who went after wilson, imo, did not.

edit-i guess thats my point, those guys he listed, imo, didnt display a level of play that makes me say "shoulda went with him over wilson." now, a few yrs and all, i get that. but wilson will have a few yrs as well to progress...they all started from the same point, rookies trying to break on the scene, imo, wilson did a better job of that than those ther guys. and imo, in a few yrs, he'll still be outpeforming those same guys.
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 02-25-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    The point of view isn't what makes him a hater, but in every single thread about Wilson,he's in it talking about what a waste Wilson is,makes him a hater....it's easy to look back after the fact & say "should've drafted this ___guy"....but in reality %90 of people around here would've went with Fleener
    Didnt want fleener, my opinion has been the same since the day of the draft

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    well i view it differently. i mean we didnt take a rb top 10 or sumthin...last pick of rd 1 as sb defendng champs with a worsening run game.
    and if we cant quantify it for those other guys until a few years, why isnt that afforded to wilson? solely bc he plays rb?? i dont buy into that esp. when we took him 32nd overall...and, to be honest, i thought wilson looked as good running the ball as anyone that final lil stretch...and further, it wasnt as if he didnt contribute...he contributed a ton really as a ST return guy. we virtually won one game bc of him (N.O), and he made the probowl for the yr he had as a returner. id argue he outperformed those other guys by a ton and didnt even live up to half his potential....im sorry, id love to used wilson more last season, but i still feel he was used enough to display the skill that warranted a 1rst rd selection, whereas the other guys lawl listed who went after wilson, imo, did not.
    It is afforded to Wilson. The play of none of these guys being discussed can yet validate any of these draft decisions.

I think Lawl's point however is that a RB, since they are usually in a better position to contribute early, gets a little less slack than other positions.

I mean Amani Toomer had one catch in his rookie year. Cory Webster did nothing at all his first season. But we knew what we had with Tiki early on, even though he got hurt. We also knew that Rodney hampton was going to be a great player. RB's don't usually have the development time that other positions do.
    I think TC had a lot to do with keeping Wilson down. But he does need to produce this season.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Scotts "official" time is faster. Not sure what you don't follow, we currently have one corner and no DL depth nor a starting 3 tech. Your team always needs an in flux of young talented DLmen. Last year was no different and we're feeling it now.
    your complaining that we drafted david wilson when we only have only one corner and no DL. we drafted david wilson almost 3 months after winning the Superbowl. when we won that Superbowl we had a good DL and good corner play as well. these problems you described really crept up last year. you dont win a Superbowl with no DL and one good corner, so your comment about drafting wilson makes no sense unless you are saying our Superbowl winning defense was garbage that year.

David Wilson is amazing...just look at his highlights, now with AB gone the sky is the limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uviR8HjLDxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3BrF3fvA88 vs Saints alone

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    your complaining that we drafted david wilson when we only have only one corner and no DL. we drafted david wilson almost 3 months after winning the Superbowl. when we won that Superbowl we had a good DL and good corner play as well. these problems you described really crept up last year. you dont win a Superbowl with no DL and one good corner, so your comment about drafting wilson makes no sense unless you are saying our Superbowl winning defense was garbage that year.
    That's actually true. And we thought we had TT coming back as well.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    Its called foresight. Osi was on his last year, Tuck had 2 years left, Canty was a constant candidate to be cut, and Webster was turning 30. I said all of this predraft.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    David Wilson is amazing...just look at his highlights, now with AB gone the sky is the limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uviR8HjLDxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3BrF3fvA88 vs Saints alone
    I have to admit, as one of the biggest Wilson supporters here, he disappointed me last season. I definitely blame TC for his overreaction to one stinking fumble. (I mean punishing his for a half a season is ridiculous).
    But what bothered me about Wilson was his lack of wiggle. He seems to be a RB with great straight line speed, but I haven't yet seen an ability to make NFL defenders miss. And that's what makes a great NFL RB.
    I have seen some power from him, but he's been essentially a straight line runner to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Its called foresight. Osi was on his last year, Tuck had 2 years left, Canty was a constant candidate to be cut, and Webster was turning 30. I said all of this predraft.
    If we are comparing just needs, HB was just as big a need as anything else. If not more so.

The issue you have with it is that HB in your opinion is not worth the last pick in the first round.

+ Reply to Thread