+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith traded..

If anyone can help Smith have success at QB in KC, it'll be Andy Reid. Better than him going to the Jets or Browns for instance. Hope it works out for Alex Smith, he really got shafted by San Fransisco.

Turns out he hasn't even been traded.

Useless analysts and their equally useless "sources"...

The 49ers are getting rid of Alex Smith either way. This was written in stone back in December. The 49ers were absolutely not going to keep him at $9+ mil per year as a backup to Kaepernick, whose on a rookie-capped contract. Anyone whose thinks they were is going to be wrong. The 49ers also stand to pretty much recoup almost all of Alex Smith's cap hit for 2013 by getting rid of him with only $1 million guaranteed so far for 2013 and roughly $8-9 million in imminent team cap savings. Trading is also a better option than just plain releasing a player since the team gets something in return with a trade. Then,...Enter a low-tier team that's desperate for a starting QB. I would not be surprised if it was the Chiefs/Jags and I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers got a 1st or 2nd for Smith or some decent player from one of those teams. So instead of the 49ers basically releasing Alex Smith before his 2013 cap hit becomes guaranteed by 4/1/13 according to his contract, the 49ers are getting some or alot of value in return. You ask why a low tier team would be suckered into a lopsided trade like the Bengals-Raiders Carson Palmer trade? Simple, cause they are poorly managed to begin with and a better managed team is simply capitalizing on the situation.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.

49ers reportedly agreed to trade Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs for the Chiefs' 2013 second round pick (No. 34) and a conditional mid-round pick in 2014. Hook line and sinker. 49ers capitalized on the basement Chiefs instead of economically being forced to release Alex Smith for nothing.You're welcome.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...-chiefs-022713

This is going out on a limb here, but a big if they are desperate for Victor Cruz, The recouped $8-9 million cap space from trading away Alex Smith and forking over their first round (No. 31 pick) for the tender is now a possibility. The team salary cap would be the only hurdle left.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-27-2013 at 06:12 PM.

They essentially get a late 1st round pick and conditional 2nd or 3rd next year. The 49ers WON! Smith is not going to save KC's franchise. They were better off drafting Geno IMO and starting fresh.

The way I see it....this might be Karma for Andy Reid getting that ridiculous deal for Kevin Kolb. Now it's Andy's turn to be on the flip side.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    They essentially get a late 1st round pick and conditional 2nd or 3rd next year. The 49ers WON! Smith is not going to save KC's franchise. They were better off drafting Geno IMO and starting fresh.

The way I see it....this might be Karma for Andy Reid getting that ridiculous deal for Kevin Kolb. Now it's Andy's turn to be on the flip side.
    At least Alex has shown something though. I really don't see it with Geno. Just another Cam Newton imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    Just another Cam Newton imo.
    What's wrong with Cam? He took some positive steps last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    What's wrong with Cam? He took some positive steps last season.
    meh.. until he does something significant he's all hype to me. RG and Russell Wilson, 'running QB's' did a lot more in just one year being in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    At least Alex has shown something though. I really don't see it with Geno. Just another Cam Newton imo.
    If KC thought Geno was another Cam Newton I'd guarantee they wouldn't have traded for Smith. The Chiefs would already be asking what size jersey Geno Smith wears and what number he'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    If KC thought Geno was another Cam Newton I'd guarantee they wouldn't have traded for Smith. The Chiefs would already be asking what size jersey Geno Smith wears and what number he'd like.
    Andy knows what he's doing. He obviously sees something in Smith that he knows he can win with. AS might not have the raw talent as some of these new QB's, but the dude wins you games, is efficient, and hardly screws up.

+ Reply to Thread