+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It makes sense for both teams. The Chiefs get a decent QB and allow them to draft a better QB for the furture without rushing him to start. And the 49ers free up almost 10 mil in cap space for a backup QB.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    The 49ers are getting rid of Alex Smith either way. This was written in stone back in December. The 49ers were absolutely not going to keep him at $9+ mil per year as a backup to Kaepernick, whose on a rookie-capped contract. Anyone whose thinks they were is going to be wrong. The 49ers also stand to pretty much recoup almost all of Alex Smith's cap hit for 2013 by getting rid of him with only $1 million guaranteed so far for 2013 and roughly $8-9 million in imminent team cap savings. Trading is also a better option than just plain releasing a player since the team gets something in return with a trade. Then,...Enter a low-tier team that's desperate for a starting QB. I would not be surprised if it was the Chiefs/Jags and I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers got a 1st or 2nd for Smith or some decent player from one of those teams. So instead of the 49ers basically releasing Alex Smith before his 2013 cap hit becomes guaranteed by 4/1/13 according to his contract, the 49ers are getting some or alot of value in return. You ask why a low tier team would be suckered into a lopsided trade like the Bengals-Raiders Carson Palmer trade? Simple, cause they are poorly managed to begin with and a better managed team is simply capitalizing on the situation.
    I think it was written in stone even further back when they went in pursuit of Peyton Manning and then because Smith got butt hurt after they failed to bring in Manning they began to placate him for a bit. What I think is funny is that I guess teams forgot the Alex Smith of just a few years back before Harbaugh. I think they have amnesia. I'm surprised Reid hasn't attempted a run at his one time McNabb heir apparent, Kolb.

Banned
    I'm surprised Andy went after Alex, seems like a stop gap fix and when you have guys like Matt Moore who are much cheaper out there, it doesn't make much sense.

Low tier teams don't have to make sense. That's why they can't find success for many years after many top draft picks, if they haven't traded those away as well. Why would anyone suddenly be putting these teams on imaginary pedestals of being well managed franchises?
    No. 34 pick and a future conditional mid-pick for QB Alex Smith....because he's the QB that can get the Chiefs to the Superbowl (lol). Ehh if it doesn't pan out, at least it's not as bad as the divisional Raiders trading potentially two first rounders for Carson Palmer, just hoping he'll take the Raiders into the playoffs (lol). So the Raiders fans wait...and they'll be waiting for a while, looking up at Peyton and the Broncos.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Low tier teams don't have to make sense. That's why they can't find success for many years after many top draft picks, if they haven't traded those away as well. Why would anyone suddenly be putting these teams on imaginary pedestals of being well managed franchises?
    No. 34 pick and a future conditional mid-pick for QB Alex Smith....because he's the QB that can get the Chiefs to the Superbowl (lol). Ehh if it doesn't pan out, at least it's not as bad as the divisional Raiders trading potentially two first rounders for Carson Palmer, just hoping he'll take the Raiders into the playoffs (lol). So the Raiders fans wait...and they'll be waiting for a while, looking up at Peyton and the Broncos.
    Right, and thats why they brought in Andy Reid who is supposed to know what he's doing

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    Right, and thats why they brought in Andy Reid who is supposed to know what he's doing
    Andy Reid is going to take the Chiefs to the Superbowl and actually win it, nevermind the fact that he never could do it with his "dream team" roster Eagles. lol

The Chiefs have plenty of talent on board, a good quarterback is all they really need to be a threat.

While Smith isn't that quarterback, he should be steady enough to enable the Chiefs to compete.

A second rounder was probably a bit too much to give up for him, though.