+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tom Must Go or Tom Should Stay?

Very interesting article thanks for posting it on the message board. TC you got to admit it is a tough old bird for better or worse.

The argument for Tom Must Not Go was there for all to see in The Battle of New York. And in the final few minutes, after he had nearly been kneecapped by D.J. Ware, a telling scene unfolded.

The Fox television cameras showed vice president of Medical Services Ronnie Barnes and team physician Dr. Russell Warren attempting to examine an agitated Coughlin, standing on a barking, 65-year-old hamstring by the bench and refusing to take his eyes off the playing field. Then “No Toughness, No Championship” Tom limped back to his team.

“He’s not exactly the ideal patient, is he?” Giants vice president of Communications Pat Hanlon said to the medical men.

The inmates must never run anyone’s asylum. But Eli Manning wants Coughlin back, and there is widespread respect for Coughlin among key veterans.

A Miracle of the Meadowlands III could prompt ownership, which has a history of erring on the side of stability, to decide that choking away another season is unacceptable. That someone should have to pay a price for a 2-6 second half, and it is time for a new voice and younger blood on the sidelines. But Coughlin didn’t have any Dream Team, Andy Reid did. And Reid’s Eagles have nothing to play for now.

The Tom Must Go crowd would emphasize the Giants could not secure a playoff berth even with Manning enjoying a career season.

The Tom Must Not Go crowd would counter while there is no crying in football, you try winning a division after you lose your best cornerback, your middle linebacker, your left tackle, one of your premier pass rushers, your starting running back for a month, your center for three weeks, your tight end for The Battle of New York, and a diminished defensive captain for most of the season.

And the Giants are still standing. As Kings of New York. Coughlin never blinked. So I ask the players: Will you blink?

Re: Tom Must Go or Tom Should Stay?

KG has to go... Eli knows NFL good enough that installing a new plays is probably far out... He knows cobverages and schemes... I think the OC calls bad games and I think we owe it to the team to try another OC... We have made those changes with the D numerous times and found a winner but let him go...
    I want to see Eli in a new system before I throw in the towel in him. He is smart and will adjust.

[quote user="Tony Bruno"]KG has to go... Eli knows NFL good enough that installing a new plays is probably far out... He knows cobverages and schemes... I think the OC calls bad games and I think we owe it to the team to try another OC... We have made those changes with the D numerous times and found a winner but let him go...[/quote]

You may have to fire TC to get rid of KG. TC seems to be really loyal to his coaches & players. I would have started Boothe over Baas but TC loyalty to players had him go right back with Bass.

Don't be suprised if Osi gets healthy enough to play that he doesn't start over JPP.

[quote user="jakegibbs"]Very interesting article thanks for posting it on the message board. TC you got to admit it is a tough old bird for better or worse.

The argument for Tom Must Not Go was there for all to see in The Battle of New York. And in the final few minutes, after he had nearly been kneecapped by D.J. Ware, a telling scene unfolded.

The Fox television cameras showed vice president of Medical Services Ronnie Barnes and team physician Dr. Russell Warren attempting to examine an agitated Coughlin, standing on a barking, 65-year-old hamstring by the bench and refusing to take his eyes off the playing field. Then “No Toughness, No Championship” Tom limped back to his team.

“He’s not exactly the ideal patient, is he?” Giants vice president of Communications Pat Hanlon said to the medical men.

The inmates must never run anyone’s asylum. But Eli Manning wants Coughlin back, and there is widespread respect for Coughlin among key veterans.

A Miracle of the Meadowlands III could prompt ownership, which has a history of erring on the side of stability, to decide that choking away another season is unacceptable. That someone should have to pay a price for a 2-6 second half, and it is time for a new voice and younger blood on the sidelines. But Coughlin didn’t have any Dream Team, Andy Reid did. And Reid’s Eagles have nothing to play for now.

The Tom Must Go crowd would emphasize the Giants could not secure a playoff berth even with Manning enjoying a career season.

The Tom Must Not Go crowd would counter while there is no crying in football, you try winning a division after you lose your best cornerback, your middle linebacker, your left tackle, one of your premier pass rushers, your starting running back for a month, your center for three weeks, your tight end for The Battle of New York, and a diminished defensive captain for most of the season.

And the Giants are still standing. As Kings of New York. Coughlin never blinked. So I ask the players: Will you blink?[/quote]
    I've always liked TC, but I also think Fewell and Gilbride must go, and TC will not let either go, much less both of them.

Stay. It's his job to get them in a position to win. If the players fail to execute, it's on them. The team was picked to finish 3rd or 4th in the division, but here we are on the final week of the season and are in a position to win it, without any help from outside.

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="Tony Bruno"]KG has to go... Eli knows NFL good enough that installing a new plays is probably far out... He knows cobverages and schemes... I think the OC calls bad games and I think we owe it to the team to try another OC... We have made those changes with the D numerous times and found a winner but let him go...[/quote]

You may have to fire TC to get rid of KG. TC seems to be really loyal to his coaches & players. I would have started Boothe over Baas but TC loyalty to players had him go right back with Bass.

Don't be suprised if Osi gets healthy enough to play that he doesn't start over JPP.[/quote]

I don't think Gilbride is as wedded to TC as he is to Eli. Eli is comfortable in Gilbride's offense and they seem to complement each other. If anything/anyone is tied to Gilbride, I think it's Eli.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Gilbride and Fewell have to go, if only one I say Fewell because he is hurting the team more and I am no supporter of either. Gilby just doesn't seem to put forward the effort for every game, but it's difficult to say if it's him or Eli when things don't go right. Still, Fewell has no ability to make in game adjustments.

All-Pro

Changes have to be made, if Coughlin isn't willing to make changes in his staff then someone has to make them for him. I understand losing due to injury and I can accept that. What I can't accept is the lack of urgency and desire this team exhibited on more than one occasion this season.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

TC had a run, its not working anymore, need a new philosophy and scheming brought on board. the only way you'll accomplish this is by starting at the top and working down. Coaches who need to be released: TC, KG, PF and oh yes lets not forget quinn. Good for starters

I don't think the final chapter to this novel has been written yet. Let's see how the team comes out on Sunday. They play well, like last week, or against the Packers, and he stays. They lay an egg like against the Redskins or Seahawks, gone. Somewhere in-between, and it's a tougher decision, but I think unless they play a really good game on Sunday (notice I am not saying win), the coaching staff will turn over.