+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Xavier Rhodes

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    I've read he is physical, not afraid to get his nose dirty and mix it up in run support. it may not be his strength but I don't believe it is anywhere near a weakness. His coverage ability seems to be his strong point. I didn't notice anything in the video that would contradict that thought process. Just read an article that his combine performance took him from a fringe 1st rounder - 2nd rounder to a solid 1st round selection. He just followed up an impressive Senior Bowl with a great showing at the combine. I like Trufant better than Rhodes for us but it's just an opinion. I responded to post that said he is not as physical as Rhodes and not much of a tackler. From what I have read about Rhodes he has some run support issues more magnified than Trufant's. Overall I like Trufant better for us. Deion Sanders said today he expected to see more from Rhodes another analyst said he has a weight fluctuation history that will be interesting to monitor. Thanks for the video!
    We are all going off are opinions here so everyone is entitled to their own. I personally like Rhodes better for the Giants but wouldn't be mad with either. I'd prefer to not draft Trufant in the 1st though....unless they trade back then I'd be all for it.

But on the subject of DT's tackling. Fast forward the 1st video I posted to the 3:30 mark and watch how he tackles the guy. He jumps on his back and rides him down. Imagine if he tried that in the NFL. (Not saying it can't be corrected....just saying it's not a good sign).

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    We are all going off are opinions here so everyone is entitled to their own. I personally like Rhodes better for the Giants but wouldn't be mad with either. I'd prefer to not draft Trufant in the 1st though....unless they trade back then I'd be all for it.

But on the subject of DT's tackling. Fast forward the 1st video I posted to the 3:30 mark and watch how he tackles the guy. He jumps on his back and rides him down. Imagine if he tried that in the NFL. (Not saying it can't be corrected....just saying it's not a
    good sign).
    That tackling technique won't cut it. Hopefully that is an isolated instance. I don't know that DT is worthy of a 19th overall pick. After the Senior Bowl and combine performance he may be worthy of somewhere in that range. I just have a gut feeling JR will like him and take him if the right OL MLB or DL is not there for him. I have only predicted 2 first round picks correctly for the Giants since I started following the draft in 1983. Tyrone Wheatly and Jumbo Elliott. So I guess Trufant will be on another team.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I think Logan Ryan is best tackler/run support corner. I think Banks is even more adept at it. I don't think that's the defining asset in what Giants look for in a corner though. Rhodes can at least be coached to do so.
    I'm sorry but I disagree. Although Banks is very willing in run support he gets run over a lot. I've watch him in tons of games and that's what I don't like about his skills. That been said he has great range and closing speed and has add value in ST.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Just watch the first minute or two. http://youtu.be/PBZzYCQVdgs

But some games he is much more willing to take on bigger guys. He's just not consistent physically
    gotta say that seems a fair assessment from what ive seen of him

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Just watch the first minute or two. http://youtu.be/PBZzYCQVdgs

But some games he is much more willing to take on bigger guys. He's just not consistent physically
    You are well assessed in what you see and while you opinion is noted, I must respectfully disagree with you. In my opinion what I see and what i have always seen with Xavier is that he is a technique tackler, he stops, locates and then drives at the point of attack; an instinctual tackler he is not. He will rarely track head on with full speed and lunge, I want to believe that is where you see the inconsistencies with his play. He has not shown to me that he shy's away from tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGdraftMIND View Post
    You are well assessed in what you see and while you opinion is noted, I must respectfully disagree with you. In my opinion what I see and what i have always seen with Xavier is that he is a technique tackler, he stops, locates and then drives at the point of attack; an instinctual tackler he is not. He will rarely track head on with full speed and lunge, I want to believe that is where you see the inconsistencies with his play. He has not shown to me that he shy's away from tackles.
    I am with you.

Even in the video linked above, I see a guy who isnt afraid to mix it up. At the 3:48 mark you can see him absolutely blow up the Lead blocking FB, on a sweep run. That player outwieghs Xavier by 20-30 lbs.

I am not saying he is perfect, but the 1 part of his game that I cannot fault him on is his lack of physicality. In fact, I go in the opposite direction and say that I think he has to be careful not to be too physical. He physically dominates wrs so much in college that I am concerned that he may have to adjust in the NFL where the rules are more strict.

I understand that manhandling WRs and taking on lead blockers in the run game arent exactly the same thing. But, If I was going to find fault with him, I certainly wouldnt do it with his run support over his tendency to ragdoll wrs with his hands.

But, I may be biased, i have been saying for months I think he is a perfect fit for this team. I also had Trufant in my top 5 CBs back when most did not. I have said before I think his being buried in the northwest, out of the spotlight in a conference that wasnt as strong as it usually is had something to do with this kid being hidden from a lot of peoples awareness. He simply played as good at he Cb position this year as any CB in the country.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 02-27-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I am with you.

Even in the video linked above, I see a guy who isnt afraid to mix it up. At the 3:48 mark you can see him absolutely blow up the Lead blocking FB, on a sweep run. That player outwieghs Xavier by 20-30 lbs.

I am not saying he is perfect, but the 1 part of his game that I cannot fault him on is his lack of physicality. In fact, I go in the opposite direction and say that I think he has to be careful not to be too physical. He physically dominates wrs so much in college that I am concerned that he may have to adjust in the NFL where the rules are more strict.

I understand that manhandling WRs and taking on lead blockers in the run game arent exactly the same thing. But, If I was going to find fault with him, I certainly wouldnt do it with his run support over his tendency to ragdoll wrs with his hands.

But, I may be biased, i have been saying for months I think he is a perfect fit for this team. I also had Trufant in my top 5 CBs back when most did not. I have said before I think his being buried in the northwest, out of the spotlight in a conference that wasnt as strong as it usually is had something to do with this kid being hidden from a lot of peoples awareness. He simply played as good at he Cb position this year as any CB in the country.
    lack of physicality is a lot more than you are making it out to be. if he doesn't want to be physical against colege competition why would he against premiere competition? his run support is sub par and with the spread option this worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    lack of physicality is a lot more than you are making it out to be. if he doesn't want to be physical against colege competition why would he against premiere competition? his run support is sub par and with the spread option this worries me.
    I think you need to reread what I said tho. I am saying he is absolutely NOT bad vs the run.

IN fact, I think he is among the very best CBs in the country vs the run. I also dont think anyone here is saying he is bad vs the run because he isnt. Some have said he is inconsistent when taking on bigger bockers, I do not agree with that but still,that isnt the same thing as saying he is bad vs the run.

I just did a quick search, because I find it hard to believe this is even in doubt. I cannot find 1 singe scouting report that questions his physicallity or run support. In fact, most rave about it. Here are some examples from sites commonly linked on these boards:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013xrhodes.php

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=3062

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665147

They all concistently rave about his physcal nature and run support.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 02-27-2013 at 04:46 AM.

I think a high round CB is what we need, just not sure its Rhodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I think there will be good value in the 2nd round at corner Id wait. i dont see a huge difference between the 1st and 2nd rounders
    Thats been my take on it as well..