+ Reply to Thread

Enigma's Post Combine Mock

Big Board Analysis - We should be able to snag a talented defensive player with our 1st round pick on the Dline or even at CB. There's a decent possibility that we could an athletic T prospect at this spot too. The 2nd round, however, has arguably the worst value for us in this draft. We need to explore trade back options to grab a 3rd and 4th in place of our 2nd since the middle of the draft is where the strength of the draft is. If this actually happens in reality, I know for a fact this will be a good draft class for the Giants. Anyway, on to the main show. My Mock will assume that we trade our 2nd for a 3rd and 4th.

1. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA - One of the biggest problems with our defense last year was the fact no one could win their 1-on-1 matchups in the pass rush while JPP was double or even triple teamed. Osi isn't returning to us and it's evident that 2013 will be Tuck's final season of his career. We need to get someone who can play opposite of JPP at the LDE spot so JPP can shine once more at RDE. Jones has vastly underrated edge rushing ability and can be stout against the run. Just like Tuck, he can also slide inside on 3rd downs and be a threat against guards in the pass rush.

3. Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss - The Kiwi at LB experiment was cute while it lasted but I'd say that it has been an overall disaster moving him away from the Dline. We need to add more guys that have good range to play in space like Collins. Very versatile SAM option for us who can put his hand in the dirt on 3rd downs and rush the passer (good mismatch against a slower RT). He seems to disappear at times but I think a better environment and coaching staff will fix that. Could you imagine JPP, Datone Jones, and Collins rushing the QB on 3rd downs? I want that.

3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut - The Giants can always use more CBs since we have bad luck with them in regards to injuries and Wreh-Wilson has a superb frame to play on the outside while Hosley sticks to the slot. Not exactly a strong candidate for an NFL man cover corner but we can look past that since we will be playing a ton of zone against our opposition with all the running QBs. I'd rather get a replacement for Webster now instead of relying on a possible rookie next year.

4. David Quessenberry, OL, San Jose State - Former Tight End, long arms, and preferrable height to play at the tackle position. This is the kind of athlete that Reese values for his OL selection and the fact he can get this kid in the mid rounds is a plus to him. He showed the ability to play on the interior at the Senior Bowl so the coaching staff will love that.

4. Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse - Very realistic that he could be pushed back this far because of his height and it would be hard to pass on him at this point in the draft. I feel like we can get much better value with Thomas versus Rolle as a box safety and it's not like Tyler Sash is anything special either. A S corp with Brown, Hill, and Thomas would be pretty stout in the future.

5. Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin - I wanted to go DT earlier in the draft but I have a gut feeling that we will be in excellent position to grab one in the first round next year. We could use another decent-sized body in the middle to help against the run heavy teams we face and just another rotational player in general at the position. Teams took advantage of the DT next to Joseph all year and it needs to stop.

6. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - Assuming that Bennett leaves FA for a more lucrative contract elsewhere, we will need to add another TE to the roster and one who can replace the run blocking production that Bennett provided us. I like Williams much more now after the Combine snub too because he should be determined to prove that it was a mistake not inviting him.

7. Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook - Need to pick up another RB since no one is entirely reliable at the position except Wilson. Brown was awesome for us last year but his history hasn't convinced me yet and Da'rel Scott might only be a ST player to the coaching staff.

I hate the first pick. Hard to find a single mock/scouting report that has Jones rated as a top 20 pick.

I'm not in love with the first two picks. While I understand the Datone Jones look, I'm really not crazy about Jamie Collins in the second (especially when alternatives may very well include Greene and Brown, both of which I like better).

Wreh-Wilson I like.

I dont think we need an OT prospect (we have three on the bench currently) as I think we'll keep Beatty and already have our starting RT.

I like Michael Williams.

I'm so so on the RB pick (mostly because I think we have our starting three on the team and Lumpkin might be resigned for our 4th).

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Big Board Analysis - We should be able to snag a talented defensive player with our 1st round pick on the Dline or even at CB. There's a decent possibility that we could an athletic T prospect at this spot too. The 2nd round, however, has arguably the worst value for us in this draft. We need to explore trade back options to grab a 3rd and 4th in place of our 2nd since the middle of the draft is where the strength of the draft is. If this actually happens in reality, I know for a fact this will be a good draft class for the Giants. Anyway, on to the main show. My Mock will assume that we trade our 2nd for a 3rd and 4th.

1. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA - One of the biggest problems with our defense last year was the fact no one could win their 1-on-1 matchups in the pass rush while JPP was double or even triple teamed. Osi isn't returning to us and it's evident that 2013 will be Tuck's final season of his career. We need to get someone who can play opposite of JPP at the LDE spot so JPP can shine once more at RDE. Jones has vastly underrated edge rushing ability and can be stout against the run. Just like Tuck, he can also slide inside on 3rd downs and be a threat against guards in the pass rush.

3. Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss - The Kiwi at LB experiment was cute while it lasted but I'd say that it has been an overall disaster moving him away from the Dline. We need to add more guys that have good range to play in space like Collins. Very versatile SAM option for us who can put his hand in the dirt on 3rd downs and rush the passer (good mismatch against a slower RT). He seems to disappear at times but I think a better environment and coaching staff will fix that. Could you imagine JPP, Datone Jones, and Collins rushing the QB on 3rd downs? I want that.

3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut - The Giants can always use more CBs since we have bad luck with them in regards to injuries and Wreh-Wilson has a superb frame to play on the outside while Hosley sticks to the slot. Not exactly a strong candidate for an NFL man cover corner but we can look past that since we will be playing a ton of zone against our opposition with all the running QBs. I'd rather get a replacement for Webster now instead of relying on a possible rookie next year.

4. David Quessenberry, OL, San Jose State - Former Tight End, long arms, and preferrable height to play at the tackle position. This is the kind of athlete that Reese values for his OL selection and the fact he can get this kid in the mid rounds is a plus to him. He showed the ability to play on the interior at the Senior Bowl so the coaching staff will love that.

4. Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse - Very realistic that he could be pushed back this far because of his height and it would be hard to pass on him at this point in the draft. I feel like we can get much better value with Thomas versus Rolle as a box safety and it's not like Tyler Sash is anything special either. A S corp with Brown, Hill, and Thomas would be pretty stout in the future.

5. Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin - I wanted to go DT earlier in the draft but I have a gut feeling that we will be in excellent position to grab one in the first round next year. We could use another decent-sized body in the middle to help against the run heavy teams we face and just another rotational player in general at the position. Teams took advantage of the DT next to Joseph all year and it needs to stop.

6. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - Assuming that Bennett leaves FA for a more lucrative contract elsewhere, we will need to add another TE to the roster and one who can replace the run blocking production that Bennett provided us. I like Williams much more now after the Combine snub too because he should be determined to prove that it was a mistake not inviting him.

7. Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook - Need to pick up another RB since no one is entirely reliable at the position except Wilson. Brown was awesome for us last year but his history hasn't convinced me yet and Da'rel Scott might only be a ST player to the coaching staff.

love it, my only question is datone jones a good 1st round value and is he BPA defensive wise at 19? but I really like it, especially jamie collins and maysonet. I also wouldn't mind zavier gooden. nice job enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    I hate the first pick. Hard to find a single mock/scouting report that has Jones rated as a top 20 pick.
    Datone Jones is the #19th ranked prospect overall on the CBS big board. You would hear more about him if Ansah wasn't stealing all of the pass rushing thunder in the scouting world right now.

'm not in love with the first two picks. While I understand the Datone Jones look, I'm really not crazy about Jamie Collins in the second (especially when alternatives may very well include Greene and Brown, both of which I like better).
    Collins would be a 3rd round pick in this mock. Not seeing Brown getting past the 1st myself now that Ogletree has decided to be an idiot with the off field red flags. Greene is a good prospect but he can't offer pass rushing like Collins can.

I dont think we need an OT prospect (we have three on the bench currently) as I think we'll keep Beatty and already have our starting RT.
    He can play inside too. He just has the arm length and height to play tackle if we need him to. Like him much more than Pugh or Dallas Thomas who don't have his agility or arm length.

I'm so so on the RB pick (mostly because I think we have our starting three on the team and Lumpkin might be resigned for our 4th).
    Would prefer a 7th round kicker but can we really trust anyone outside of Wilson right now from an injury standpoint?

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I personally feel too many people are sleeping on Datone Jones but it's very possible someone else could drop to us there that is better value. I'd like Rhodes, Richardson, or Floyd there but I'm not seeing those guys make it to 19. Same with the big three OTs (Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson).

I like your Mock, very well thought out and the players you picked all seem to be players that can come in and compete for spots rather than project players, well maybe Montori would have to be brought along.

I particularly like the Jones and Williams pick. you are right most posters who are unstudied will not know who D.Jones is due to the constant analyst coverage of Mingo/Ansah. personally with JPP having to improve his game to deal with the double team I would rather not use the 19th pick on another extremely raw atheltic project like Ansah. I woul rather someone more polished like a D.Jones.

My only problem is that statement in bold, i would have to respectfully disagree with it. This up coming draft has alot of talentend underclassmen declaring, the money is in the 2nd-4th value wise. It would behoove us more to trade down into the first for an extra 2nd (30+) or 3rd (25+) pick, or trade out of it altogether. There is a ton of good value DL/CB/S that can be had in the 2nd round. I am not one to create mocks I find them trivial leading up to the actual show, but I do like looking at them and this is by far more realistic than others.
    Last edited by NYGdraftMIND; 02-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGdraftMIND View Post
    I like your Mock, very well thought out and the players you picked all seem to be players that can come in and compete for spots rather than project players, well maybe Montori would have to be brought along.

I particularly like the Jones and Williams pick. you are right most posters who are unstudied will not know who D.Jones is due to the constant analyst coverage of Mingo/Ansah. personally with JPP having to improve his game to deal with the double team I would rather not use the 19th pick on another extremely raw atheltic project like Ansah. I woul rather someone more polished like a D.Jones.

My only problem is that statement in bold, i would have to respectfully disagree with it. This up coming draft has alot of talentend underclassmen declaring, the money is in the 2nd-4th value wise. It would behoove us more to trade down into the first for an extra 2nd (30+) or 3rd (25+) pick, or trade out of it altogether. There is a ton of good value DL/CB/S that can be had in the 2nd round. I am not one to create mocks I find them trivial leading up to the actual show, but I do like looking at them and this is by far more realistic than others.
    Maybe I'm just being too hard on the 2nd round in this draft but I've gone through a few players at the #49th overall spot for us and every time I want to mock a player, I feel we can get better value with another player/position in a later round. Very possible though that I could update this mock in the future and move either Collins/Wreh-Wilson to the 2nd round in the event they have stock increases. Both young men have desirable athletic qualities that could push them into the mid 2nd like Collins range to play in space for a pass rusher or Wreh-Wilson's frame and knack for making huge gains out of Ints. Thanks for the input and compliments. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge and a level-headed opinion so I hope to see you post more in the future.

I personally feel too many people are sleeping on Datone Jones ...
    Not sleeping on him ... he's a solid pick. But between position (I think we need a DT more) and who is around him that I like better (Okafor most notably) he doesn't excite me personally. He's a very solid choice though.

Ur assuming a trade? How can u assume a trade, my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ur assuming a trade? How can u assume a trade, my friend?
    Usually, I'd spend some time thinking of an actual trade partner for the Giants where some team could trade up to acquire one of the QBs, maybe Tank Carradine, or even the troubled Da'Rick Rogers (highly talented but troubled WR) but what really matters in mocks is showing which players you want the team to target and what you believe the appropriate value for them is. Odds are that we will just settle again because I think there's a strong chance 3 QBs go before our 1st round pick and that could eliminate a possible mid 2nd trade up from another team but this is going to be a crazy draft so who knows.