+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    I was away from the computer for the most part today. I just read the great news. I have read through the thread to catch up some. I do agree that Webster and Diehl need to take a pay cut and/or be released. I think one reason Diehl stays for the time being is that Boothe is not yet re-signed. Diehl may not be a probowl starter on the O-line, but he is versatile and can play both tackle and guard positions.

If Boothe is re-signed at a cap friendly number, than we may see the release of Diehl.

As for Webster, he definitely did not play the way he was paid last year. But like a couple of posters mentioned, since Webster is going into a contract year, you may see the Webster of a couple years ago. He does have a high cap number this year and should take a pay cut. Unless Reese is confident that he can find a decent CB in FA at a friendly cap number, I have a feeling we will see Webster around this year at a lower salary.

Its a tough call and tough decisions left to be made. I do think CB will be addressed early in the draft. But I will not be surprised to see O-linemen drafted this year either.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

Starter

Great news on locking up Will Beatty.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    LT Will Beatty re-signed with the Giants today on a 5-year, $37.5M deal (up to $38.75 w/incentives), per source. $19M fully guaranteed.

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday
    Beatty deal is 5 years/$38.75 million per source. $19 million guaranteed, including $12.5 mil signing bonus up front.

Link: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ll_beatty.html
    Great news indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    For a good LT its a good fair deal for both.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    I was away from the computer for the most part today. I just read the great news. I have read through the thread to catch up some. I do agree that Webster and Diehl need to take a pay cut and/or be released. I think one reason Diehl stays for the time being is that Boothe is not yet re-signed. Diehl may not be a probowl starter on the O-line, but he is versatile and can play both tackle and guard positions.

If Boothe is re-signed at a cap friendly number, than we may see the release of Diehl.

As for Webster, he definitely did not play the way he was paid last year. But like a couple of posters mentioned, since Webster is going into a contract year, you may see the Webster of a couple years ago. He does have a high cap number this year and should take a pay cut. Unless Reese is confident that he can find a decent CB in FA at a friendly cap number, I have a feeling we will see Webster around this year at a lower salary.

Its a tough call and tough decisions left to be made. I do think CB will be addressed early in the draft. But I will not be surprised to see O-linemen drafted this year either.
    If they can get Diehl down to $1.5M, give or take, with performance incentives then he can be an effective ROTATIONAL player at 4 positions along the line.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If they can get Diehl down to $1.5M, give or take, with performance incentives then he can be an effective ROTATIONAL player at 4 positions along the line.
    Diehl is going to cost at least 2 mil against the cap no matter what.

Vet min for an OL in the league as long as him is about a million.

So if Diehl takes the max paycut possible he counts 3 mil against the cap.

Cutting him it's down to 2 mil

Thank you Mr. Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

I think we can use him at the right price, whatever that means lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

So cutting him would save 1 million against the cap than keeping him, assuming he takes the pay cut to the vet minimum for his position.

He is versatile along the O-line. But if we cut Webster, we would save more money than cutting Diehl.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

Nice job Mr. Reece!