+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Kenny Phillips?....What Gives?

Pro Bowl caliber Safety that was slowed down this year by an akward knee injury. He is a mega talent and without a doubt difference maker when he is on the field.

Are the Giants not interested in resigning him? Can we really expect Stevie Brown to have the same type of year he had in 2012? Is this a sign that the Giants will be gearing towards drafting a safety in the early rounds of the draft?

I hope we can keep KP and Stevie (those two and Hill would make a great 3 safety set), but this team seems intent on keeping Rolle at his inflated price...

It definitely isn't about performance. The kid is a baller and makes a HUGE difference when he's on the field. Just look at the W-L record for games when he plays and when he doesn't. Its uncanny.

Its all about him not being healthy enough to play even half a season.

Bench Player
    I'm a big Stevie Brown fan, if he can stay healthy which is a something our safeties and corners rarely do then i can see him being our best safety on the field if he can stay consistent

Quote Originally Posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
    It definitely isn't about performance. The kid is a baller and makes a HUGE difference when he's on the field. Just look at the W-L record for games when he plays and when he doesn't. Its uncanny.

Its all about him not being healthy enough to play even half a season.

I think this year the W-L record is pretty even when he plays vs. when he doesn't but I agree with your point nonetheless. I read somewhere that the defense gives up something like 8 points less when he plays vs. when he doesn't. That's pretty remarkable I think bringing him back should be a priority.

Veteran
    As soon as Kenny went down, teams started attacking downfield. You think coaches don't know KP is probably the best cover 1 safety in the league? He doesn't put up gaudy stats, but that doesn't matter - he does his job better than anyone else, and he protects the back half of the field every time.

Easily my favorite defensive player, and we'll regret letting him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Itlan View Post

Easily my favorite defensive player, and we'll regret letting him go.
    Agree and Agree!!!!!

Phillips is a top 5 safety in the league and the Giants have made no buzz about making him a priority. Resign him to a deal and restructure Rolle's deal.

I am sure Phillips is a tough one for the front office. The defense is much better when he is on the field but he has only played 56 games in 5 years. He had to have micro-fracture surgery in 2009 and is battling knee injuries again. Its tough to pay a guy a lot of money when there is so much uncertainty around his knee and who knows what the Giants doctors have told the front office about this long term prognosis.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    I am sure Phillips is a tough one for the front office. The defense is much better when he is on the field but he has only played 56 games in 5 years. He had to have micro-fracture surgery in 2009 and is battling knee injuries again. Its tough to pay a guy a lot of money when there is so much uncertainty around his knee and who knows what the Giants doctors have told the front office about this long term prognosis.
    This is exactly the problem. His status with the team is and will be determined by his health.

This situation with Phillips sucks. I want to keep him, but I also understand he needs to get paid and I don't think that can happen here.