+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 118

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,555

    Giants' Eli Manning Slated To Have League's Highest CAP Number in 2013

    http://www.giants101.com/2013/02/28/...umber-in-2013/

    Excerpt: "When the new league year begins in a little less than two weeks, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manningwill officially become the highest paid player in the NFL. His cap hit will account for $20.85 million, which is slightly more than Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford($20.82 million).

    As it stands, the Lions are in active negotiations with Stafford on a contract extension, which will lower his 2013 cap hit, making Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco the second highest cap hit in the league at $20.35 million after the exclusive franchise tag is placed on him.

    The immediate reaction to these numbers will be "Manning needs to restructure!" but Eli's 2013 cap number is already the result of multiple restructures. And with a flat cap projected over the next several years, restructuring what remains of his contract becomes a difficult, tedious and nearly impossible task given his cap numbers in 2014 and 2015, which are $20.4 million and $19.75 million respectively." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  2. #2
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,511
    Exactly why I keep saying, he is overpaid. I dont care what he has done in the past, he isnt a top tier QB in the league (Brady, Peyton, Rodgers) and will be making over 15% of the teams cap, crippling the team around him, and really eliminating the solid chance of staying competitive to win a Superbowl in the long run. If he had a hit of say, 12-14M, we could easily keep Cruz, Nicks and maybe Phillips. Instead we most likely are losing 2 of those 3 which will be tough to rebound from. We now really have to rely on hitting HRs in the draft to fill our needs and have no slack for mistakes.

    I should clarify, I LOVE ELI being on this team as he has and obviously can get it done in the postseason, but I see him as a 5-8 best QB in the league. He doesnt dominate with his arm as much as he does with his head. Great QB to have, but not sure he is worth the 21M he is going to get from here on out. It hurts the team more then helps IMO.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

  3. #3
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,555
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Exactly why I keep saying, he is overpaid. I dont care what he has done in the past, he isnt a top tier QB in the league (Brady, Peyton, Rodgers) and will be making over 15% of the teams cap, crippling the team around him, and really eliminating the solid chance of staying competitive to win a Superbowl in the long run. If he had a hit of say, 12-14M, we could easily keep Cruz, Nicks and maybe Phillips. Instead we most likely are losing 2 of those 3 which will be tough to rebound from. We now really have to rely on hitting HRs in the draft to fill our needs and have no slack for mistakes.

    I should clarify, I LOVE ELI being on this team as he has and obviously can get it done in the postseason, but I see him as a 5-8 best QB in the league. He doesnt dominate with his arm as much as he does with his head. Great QB to have, but not sure he is worth the 21M he is going to get from here on out. It hurts the team more then helps IMO.
    He's NOT getting PAID $20M, that's his CAP hit
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  4. #4
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,511
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He's NOT getting PAID $20M, that's his CAP hit
    Cap hit / getting paid, whatever. It effects the salary cap, thats what I mean.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

  5. #5
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,555
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Cap hit / getting paid, whatever. It effects the salary cap, thats what I mean.
    He's being paid according to the terms of his original contract and a restructure. Overpaid or not, he is entitled to every penny.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  6. #6
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,511
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He's being paid according to the terms of his original contract and a restructure. Overpaid or not, he is entitled to every penny.
    Is he entitled to it because of the contract he signed or because he truely deserves it?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He's being paid according to the terms of his original contract and a restructure. Overpaid or not, he is entitled to every penny.
    so who gets the money?
    every doller of it. Why not? .. the man's entitled to it.
    who is?
    yes..sometimes his wife comes down and collects it.
    who's wife?
    yes
    all I want to know is what's the first baseman's name...
    no, no, no, What's on second
    I'm not asking you who's on second
    who's on first
    I don't know
    no, he's on third....

  8. #8
    Veteran ELI_HOF_NYG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    allentown,pa
    Posts
    1,701
    no professional athlete is worth what they make to play a game.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    58,226
    outrageous number but in the end not his fault at all. Giants FO wanted to pay him top $$$$ keep restructuring him.


    I really feel his cap number has hurt us building a solid defense.

  10. #10
    Veteran gfanblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southaven, MS
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He's NOT getting PAID $20M, that's his CAP hit
    Not sure I understand the difference. Explain a cap hit and actual salary for the year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts