+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants' Eli Manning Slated To Have League's Highest CAP Number in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gmen2005 View Post
    In New York, winning two superbowls he is going to command a ton of money.
    Nobody's even done it before. Chew on that.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I think the point was that some people seem to have the impression that the Giants never won before Eli and will never win when he retires. There is a faction of people on this board that have Eli on such a high pedestal that Joe Montana becomes a mere mortal in comparison. No one is suggesting he be replaced... some need to lighten up a bit and recognize that the Giants will very likely win a SB even after Eli retires.
    Yes they probably will, but how long will it take? Another 17 years?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Nobody is saying that... But Eli won two Super Bowls with entirely different talent surrounding him each time. Plax, Amani, Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, all gone by SB XLVI.

And none of them has had success after parting ways with Eli. Even Manningham.
    There were 21 other players on the field, yes? I'm not anti Eli, but he doesn't do this by himself.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Lets look at all of the SB winners since our first championship. Look at the QB's in the past 26 years that have won. Montana, Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway, Warner, Brady, P. Manning, Rothlisberger, Breese, E. Manning, and Rodgers. These guys account for 20 of the past 26 SB's. This is a quarterback driven league. If you are lucky enough to get one of these gems, you have to pay him. The truth is that while sometimes teams with average or mediocre QB's do win the SB, it is very rare, especially in this era of football where the rules favor the offense so much.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    And none of them has had success after parting ways with Eli. Even Manningham.
    Manningham left a pass-first offense for a rush-first offense, piloted by an average quarterback. He then landed himself on IR.
    Hard to have success when you're unable to take to the field.

ALL professional athletes are overpaid. Singling out ELI (a 2 time SB MVP, a class act, and a guy who has ALREADY restructured his contract more than once to help his team) is asinine.

What's more, he will probably restructure AGAIN and won't get any credit for it from some of you.......and you know who you are.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    ALL professional athletes are overpaid. Singling out ELI (a 2 time SB MVP, a class act, and a guy who has ALREADY restructured his contract more than once to help his team) is asinine.

What's more, he will probably restructure AGAIN and won't get any credit for it from some of you.......and you know who you are.
    Well it's not like he takes any less money when restructuring. It usually benefits both parties. He gets cash up front and it helps them spread the cap hit over remaining years. One thing is for sure though! When/if he does restructure, there will be many people on these boards next year that will be complaining about his cap hit and not understanding that it is a result of the restructures.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    ALL professional athletes are overpaid. Singling out ELI (a 2 time SB MVP, a class act, and a guy who has ALREADY restructured his contract more than once to help his team) is asinine. What's more, he will probably restructure AGAIN and won't get any credit for it from some of you.......and you know who you are.
    No player deservespraise for a simple restructure, because not only doesn't it involve no sacrifice from a player, it serves to benefit them. Now, renegotiating a deal, that's another story.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Yes they probably will, but how long will it take? Another 17 years?
    Possibly, but then again, it could take 17 years even with Eli. It isn't just about the QB, it is about the O-line (see last year), the receivers, the running game and... yes... even the defense. One man doesn't win a SB by himself. Some thought that the Giants season was over when Simms got hurt... we all know how that turned out. Because it is about the entire team, not just one guy.

To be clear, I am not saying Eli is overpaid. I am just saying that some push the argument just a little too far.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    No player deservespraise for a simple restructure, because not only doesn't it involve no sacrifice from a player, it serves to benefit them. Now, renegotiating a deal, that's another story.
    True, but players don't renegotiate contracts for less money.

+ Reply to Thread