+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants' Eli Manning Slated To Have League's Highest CAP Number in 2013

Giants' Eli Manning Slated To Have League's Highest CAP Number in 2013

http://www.giants101.com/2013/02/28/...umber-in-2013/

Excerpt: "When the new league year begins in a little less than two weeks, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manningwill officially become the highest paid player in the NFL. His cap hit will account for $20.85 million, which is slightly more than Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford($20.82 million).

As it stands, the Lions are in active negotiations with Stafford on a contract extension, which will lower his 2013 cap hit, making Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco the second highest cap hit in the league at $20.35 million after the exclusive franchise tag is placed on him.

The immediate reaction to these numbers will be "Manning needs to restructure!" but Eli's 2013 cap number is already the result of multiple restructures. And with a flat cap projected over the next several years, restructuring what remains of his contract becomes a difficult, tedious and nearly impossible task given his cap numbers in 2014 and 2015, which are $20.4 million and $19.75 million respectively." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Exactly why I keep saying, he is overpaid. I dont care what he has done in the past, he isnt a top tier QB in the league (Brady, Peyton, Rodgers) and will be making over 15% of the teams cap, crippling the team around him, and really eliminating the solid chance of staying competitive to win a Superbowl in the long run. If he had a hit of say, 12-14M, we could easily keep Cruz, Nicks and maybe Phillips. Instead we most likely are losing 2 of those 3 which will be tough to rebound from. We now really have to rely on hitting HRs in the draft to fill our needs and have no slack for mistakes.

I should clarify, I LOVE ELI being on this team as he has and obviously can get it done in the postseason, but I see him as a 5-8 best QB in the league. He doesnt dominate with his arm as much as he does with his head. Great QB to have, but not sure he is worth the 21M he is going to get from here on out. It hurts the team more then helps IMO.
    ZERO quality wins the last 2 seasons. Major changes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Exactly why I keep saying, he is overpaid. I dont care what he has done in the past, he isnt a top tier QB in the league (Brady, Peyton, Rodgers) and will be making over 15% of the teams cap, crippling the team around him, and really eliminating the solid chance of staying competitive to win a Superbowl in the long run. If he had a hit of say, 12-14M, we could easily keep Cruz, Nicks and maybe Phillips. Instead we most likely are losing 2 of those 3 which will be tough to rebound from. We now really have to rely on hitting HRs in the draft to fill our needs and have no slack for mistakes.

I should clarify, I LOVE ELI being on this team as he has and obviously can get it done in the postseason, but I see him as a 5-8 best QB in the league. He doesnt dominate with his arm as much as he does with his head. Great QB to have, but not sure he is worth the 21M he is going to get from here on out. It hurts the team more then helps IMO.
    He's NOT getting PAID $20M, that's his CAP hit
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

he isnt overpaid at all, youre just naive and dont realize that he makes up basically out entire offense. he makes cruz who he is. what he has done in the past is give us two rings so if you dont want them go be a jets fan, we dont need you

We just have to nut up and eat this cap hit. No more damaging the future with his salary. Maybe an extension but this is the year to address the restructures.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He's NOT getting PAID $20M, that's his CAP hit
    Cap hit / getting paid, whatever. It effects the salary cap, thats what I mean.

He is not overpaid he just has an overloaded contract due to restructures. That been said if Eli and FO are willing to work together to bring cap numbers down they can tear the actual contract and redo a new one with an extension. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluetribe View Post
    he isnt overpaid at all, youre just naive and dont realize that he makes up basically out entire offense. he makes cruz who he is. what he has done in the past is give us two rings so if you dont want them go be a jets fan, we dont need you
    So Cruz is talentless then?

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluetribe View Post
    he makes cruz who he is. what he has done in the past is give us two rings so if you dont want them go be a jets fan, we dont need you
    Ok....

Id say it works both ways, Cruz made Eli a lot better over the past 2 years. You think it was all Eli on those chuck jump balls he came down with? How about that 99 yarder? To say Eli makes Cruz who he is is COMPLETELY naive. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Cap hit / getting paid, whatever. It effects the salary cap, thats what I mean.
    He's being paid according to the terms of his original contract and a restructure. Overpaid or not, he is entitled to every penny.

# 80

+ Reply to Thread