+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have the feeling the 49ers will make a run at Cruz

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Only a first
    Yup my bad, max tender got reduced in latest cba

They spent a first last year on a WR. I don't see Harbaugh being the type to give up on a player after a rookie season. If they target anything, it would probably be a CB or possibly a long term replacement for Justin Smith. The cat is out of the bag on Aldon Smith not being that effective without Justin doing the dirty work and their defense won't be the same without a stout front 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't matter if he can be replaced by my dog. If nothing else he has perceived valued around the league and if we're going to lose him this year, we better damn well get compensation for him. It would be gross negligence on Reese's part to do otherwise.
    Here's a question. Say a team makes an offer to Cruz and is willing to give up their first pick. Does Reese have to match the EXACT offer, or can he make a satisfactory offer and let Cruz & Co. decide which offer is best for them? I am talking about structure, not price. I am guessing the numbers have to be pretty close.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    Here's a question. Say a team makes an offer to Cruz and is willing to give up their first pick. Does Reese have to match the EXACT offer, or can he make a satisfactory offer and let Cruz & Co. decide which offer is best for them? I am talking about structure, not price. I am guessing the numbers have to be pretty close.
    Match

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Match
    I k now that's the word they use, and you may be right, but still I'd like to be sure that's the case. Suppose Reese cam back and said I can't do X but I can make up for that with Y
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    I k now that's the word they use, and you may be right, but still I'd like to be sure that's the case. Suppose Reese cam back and said I can't do X but I can make up for that with Y
    If Cruz agrees to a deal with another team, we can match it or hes a goner.

Good Question. I'm going to say Reese has to exactly match the contract offer because Cruz would have had to sign the 49ers' contract offer sheet beforehand to force Reese's decision on matching or taking the draft pick. Basically, Cruz is effectively signed to the contract when he puts his signature on the paper. It's just a matter of who will own his contract.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-28-2013 at 06:43 PM.

They could just sign Mike Wallace if they want a receiver.

That's a great question about how you have to match. Like, what if the guaranteed money was the same and the overall value was the same, but more back loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    They could just sign Mike Wallace if they want a receiver.
    Don't give the 49ers any ideas... lol

+ Reply to Thread