+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I am sure you're right, I happen to think Cruz has unique talents, and do you want me to talk to Jerry about a work out for your pooch? Reese is likely to wait until the last moment to apply the tender.
    For full disclosure, my dog passed many years ago. But, Zombie Dog would be lethal in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Good Question. I'm going to say Reese has to exactly match the contract offer because Cruz would have had to sign the 49ers' contract offer sheet beforehand to force Reese's decision on matching or taking the draft pick. Basically, Cruz is effectively signed to the contract when he puts his signature on the paper. It's just a matter of who will own his contract.
    The damn CBA was written by lawyers in an attempt to confuse the uneducated lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    That's a great question about how you have to match. Like, what if the guaranteed money was the same and the overall value was the same, but more back loaded?
    Yes, something like that. I keep reading the CBA which I find fruitless. The get into "Principal Terms" of the offer that have to be specified by both the Club making the offer and the player. So that suggests, to me, not every term has to be exactly the same. Are we having fun yet?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    For full disclosure, my dog passed many years ago. But, Zombie Dog would be lethal in the NFL.
    Sorry for your loss

# 80

Sorry for your loss
    Nah. It was her time to go.Valar morghulis. I suppose that applies to dogs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Nah. It was her time to go.Valar morghulis. I suppose that applies to dogs, too.
    No desire to replace?

# 80

No desire to replace?
    Well, my parents had ended up getting a new dog until they had to move. My wife and I would love one, but don't have the space for a pooch in our current apartment.

The 49ers are going to have a lot of guys to pay very soon. No way they make a run a Cruz.

Yes, something like that. I keep reading the CBA which I find fruitless. The get into "Principal Terms" of the offer that have to be specified by both the Club making the offer and the player. So that suggests, to me, not every term has to be exactly the same. Are we having fun yet?
    Absolutely. Looks like you're correct. You made me read the CBA. The CBA if anyone else wants to read it. http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...-2011-2020.pdf

Principal Terms: Article 9, Section 3, Part (e), p. 40.

"Salary, which shall consist only of (a) the fixed and specified dollar amounts the New Club will pay, guarantee or lend to the Restricted Free Agent and/or his designees (currently and/or as deferred compensation in specified installments on specified dates) in consideration for his services as a football player under the Player Contract (i.e., signing bonus, Paragraph 5 Salary, and reporting and roster bonuses); "

If there's performance-based provisions in the offer sheet: "(b) Salary that is variable and/or is subject to calculation only upon the following bases: (1) based upon the performance of the Club extending the Offer Sheet (only those in-centives which are "likely to be earned" by the player if he enters into a Player Contract with the New Club, pursuant to Subsection (c) above, must be matched by the Prior Club for the purpose of exercising a Right of First Refusal, and such incentives may not exceed 15% of the Salary in the Offer Sheet)"

Section (g): Incentives also basically repeats this.

Basically if the 49ers put a $10 million incentive for Cruz to break 2,000 yards receiving in a season in the offer sheet, Giants most likely won't need to match that part of the offer sheet.
    However, if the 49ers put a $4 million incentive for Cruz to break 1,000 yards receiving in a season, Giants would probably have to match that since he's "likely to earn" that from his past performances.

The Prior team is also allowed to better the offer sheet, but that shouldn't happen often. (why should the Prior team give more to the player for trying to sign with another team when all they have to do is match?) .
    Section (b) Subpart (iii) "such additional terms, not less favorable to the player than those contained in the Offer Sheet as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club. "

So yes, Reese could shift more of the salary as guaranteed money since it's more favorable to the player or just give more money than the offer sheet.

Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 02-28-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Absolutely. Looks like you're correct. You made me read the CBA. The CBA if anyone else wants to read it. http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...-2011-2020.pdf

Principal Terms: Article 9, Section 3, Part (e), p. 40.

"Salary, which shall consist only of (a) the fixed and specified dollar amounts the New Club will pay, guarantee or lend to the Restricted Free Agent and/or his designees (currently and/or as deferred compensation in specified installments on specified dates) in consideration for his services as a football player under the Player Contract (i.e., signing bonus, Paragraph 5 Salary, and reporting and roster bonuses); "

If there's performance-based provisions in the offer sheet: "(b) Salary that is variable and/or is subject to calculation only upon the following bases: (1) based upon the performance of the Club extending the Offer Sheet (only those in-centives which are "likely to be earned" by the player if he enters into a Player Contract with the New Club, pursuant to Subsection (c) above, must be matched by the Prior Club for the purpose of exercising a Right of First Refusal, and such incentives may not exceed 15% of the Salary in the Offer Sheet)"

Section (g): Incentives also basically repeats this.

Basically if the 49ers put a $10 million incentive for Cruz to break 2,000 yards receiving in the season in the offer sheet, Giants mostly likely won't need to match that part of the offer sheet.
    However, if the 49ers put a $4 million incentive for Cruz to break 1,000 yards receiving in a season, Giants would probably have to match that since he's "likely to earn" that from his past performances.

The Prior team is also allowed to better the offer sheet, but that shouldn't happen often. (why should the Prior team give more to the player for trying to sign with another team?) .
    Section (b) Subpart (iii) "such additional terms, not less favorable to the player than those contained in the Offer Sheet as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club. "

So yes, Reese could make shift more of the salary as guaranteed money since it's more favorable to the player or just give more money than the offer sheet.

THAT WAS

# 80