+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Think about it though, Moss is almost done and wasn't really THAT effective this year. Crabtree was good, but not great and his rookie deal will be expiring soon. I doubt they want to invent big bucks in him. Manningham is there, but he is really a #2. Yes they drafted a WR last year who was a 1st rounder, who was a bad pick. Vernon Davis can be invisible at times. You see the 49ers need someone like Cruz, who is established and be there future #1. That fact that they take him away from the Giants is only another plus in their eyes. Better to invest in someone established (who will also be an instant fan favorite and sell jerseys) than miss like they did last year on their 1st rounder. Having the 31st and 34th pick makes this a very likely scenario. Yes they could also still trade for revis instead, but in my opinion Cruz makes way more sense for them.

Seriously?? A young proven NFL star is worth so much more than an unproven draft pick...even a first. You know how many 1st rounders turn out to be a Vic Cruz??

Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    Think about it though, Moss is almost done and wasn't really THAT effective this year. Crabtree was good, but not great and his rookie deal will be expiring soon. I doubt they want to invent big bucks in him. Manningham is there, but he is really a #2. Yes they drafted a WR last year who was a 1st rounder, who was a bad pick. Vernon Davis can be invisible at times.
    The ineffectiveness of their receivers had more to do with their quarterback and offensive gameplan than anything else. Once Kaepernick took over, they found an air attack. Crabtree only emerged once Smith was benched.

Moss just wasn't used much.

Vernon Davis only disappears because the quarterback stops throwing at him. It's the weirdest thing.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 03-01-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    If he isn't tendered, another team can sign him if the Giants refuse to match their offer.

If Cruz is tendered, the above applies, except the team making the offer must also include a draft pick equivalent to the amount tendered. In Cruz's case, that's almost certain to ge a 1st rounder.

Retaining Cruz under a 1st round tender would lock him into a $2.8 million contract for the Giants' 2013 season.

Applying the franchise tag to Cruz isn't really an option as it would mean paying him the average of what the top 5 players at his position earn - this year, that'd be around $10 million.
    I didnt realize tagging would cost us so much. Thanks for info.

All-Pro
    Remember when people panicked because Steve Smith left?

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    There are those here who would disagree with you and me. Cruz can be replaced by any average WR it has been suggested.
    When given the opportunity Jernigan will prove he is much more than an average receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
    If they want Cruz they better give us a couple 1st round draft picks.
    They can only get one draft pick
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    When given the opportunity Jernigan will prove he is much more than an average receiver.
    That remains to be seen. It isn't likely going to be an issue until 2014, if then
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
    I think Cruz has some good skills that make him unique but its crazy to assume he will perform as good somewhere else. I look at Steve Smith for my evidence and while everyone says well his knee is shot. I don't think so. I really think that it has just as much to do with that slot position in our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    I think Cruz has some good skills that make him unique but its crazy to assume he will perform as good somewhere else. I look at Steve Smith for my evidence and while everyone says well his knee is shot. I don't think so. I really think that it has just as much to do with that slot position in our offense.
    Smith had a serious injury which impacted his future. You can't compare him to Cruz. And to say Cruz, or any player, can't play somewhere else and be effective is a little silly. Cruz would probably light things up in New England for example if he were to replace Welker. If Nicks were to leave in FA would he not be able to function somewhere else?