+ Reply to Thread

THE BEST DRAFT PHILOSOPHY FOR THE GIANTS ....

DRAFT BEST PLAYER AVAILBLE, TRADE PICKS TO ADD DEPTH/PLAYER(S) YOU WANT OR DRAFT FOR POSITION OF NEED?

Best player ON THE GIANTS BOARD available.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

take the best player that slips..

Best Draft Philosophy is to address the lines only (unless a huge value for whichever pick happens to be available). We're becoming a "finesse" team like we were in 2000... sure they can get things done, but you punch them in the mouth and they fall like a house of cards. We need a dominant O-line like the days when Diehl, Seubert, O'hara, Snee, and Kmac were all in their prime. We need a pass rush that can get to any QB. Get those two things done and as long as we have a top-shelf QB like Eli, everything else will fall into place...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Best Draft Philosophy is to address the lines only (unless a huge value for whichever pick happens to be available). We're becoming a "finesse" team like we were in 2000... sure they can get things done, but you punch them in the mouth and they fall like a house of cards. We need a dominant O-line like the days when Diehl, Seubert, O'hara, Snee, and Kmac were all in their prime. We need a pass rush that can get to any QB. Get those two things done and as long as we have a top-shelf QB like Eli, everything else will fall into place...
    I agree with you 100%. The funny thing is that this understanding of the preeminant importance of both lines to the perennial success of any football team seems to be a fairly recent comprehension (I am referring primarily to the younger fans, and certainly not to you in this instance), when the fact is that this has always been the most important--aside from a premier QB--component of a good team.

And in the 6 drafts under Reese's command as GM, the Giants have acted on this understanding within the confines of draft availability. In 5 of the 6 drafts (2008 being the exception), Giants have picked a total of 6 OL or DT players within the first 4 rounds. DEs are on a different level these days, so I'm ommitting JPP from those 6. As most agree, the first 4 rounds are usually considered to be the most valuable each year, so picks are given considerable thought and analysis within them.

Of those 6 linemen picked within the first 4 rounds since 2007, 3 have been OL. 3 have been DT.

The issue, it seems, in these threads about the subject is first round picks.

Certainly that's been an issue for many Giants fans and on this board. The difficulty with that issue, in my opinion, is that there are very few blue chip--which is a first round criterion of any position for most GMs--Guards, Tackles (offensive and defensive) and Centers that can contribute as starters their rookie year in any given draft, and even fewer beyond the first 10 overall picks each year. And that is compounded by the fact that the Giants have not had a top 10 overall draft pick since 2004.

Of course, Reese always has the option to trade up for a top 10 pick. But the Giants--well before and since Reese became GM--have always been extremely reluctant to do that, and I thank god and Giants FO) for that reluctance. Other teams do that any given year, but very few have been adequately rewarded for the player/draft pick sacrifices those trades entail.

Another important part of the difficulty in choosing a lineman in the first round--especially OL--is that with very few exceptions, lineman historically require more than 1, even 2 in many cases, year(s) to gel enough with the rest of the line to maximize their respective talents. Unlike any other aspect of the team, both lines perform best as a unit as opposed to individually.

So I agree wholeheartedly with you, philosophically and pragmatically, but the first round issue is a tremendous challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn2KingCMD View Post
    DRAFT BEST PLAYER AVAILBLE, TRADE PICKS TO ADD DEPTH/PLAYER(S) YOU WANT OR DRAFT FOR POSITION OF NEED?
    I don't really see us being able to trade picks for current NFL players because we are handcuffed by the cap.