+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Martellus Bennet did drop some crucial passes. However, the guy was playing injured for some of the games and he is not really used to getting the ball thrown his way. In regard to his blocking, I have no idea how anyone can question it. He is The Best blocking TE we have had since Jeremy Shokey.

I like Martellus a lot and really hope we keep him.

I hope we keep the guy too. Many point to Boss and Ballard, but Bennett(what is with all the frickin' TE's that have their names begin with B's...must be the letter of the day on Sesame Street) was the better all around and more complete tight end of any of them. He was more athletic and his blocking was good. No player is going to hit on 100% but he was sure better than what we have had in the past.

Right now the only other options for full time tight end are an unproven Robinson and an oft injured Beckum who is a TE/WR tweener. Too slow to be a receiver and too small to be a true, clash at the line of scrimmage, tight end.
    Last edited by Rat_bastich; 03-02-2013 at 05:23 AM.

For the right price; this guy is solid and will be moving into his second year and having a much better understanding of the system and report with Eli. Lets call Pascoe what he really is versatile (play TE and FB) and knows the system; a valuable guy at the very modest cost.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Yeah Slip, but let's be clear that he was no where near as good a blocker as Shocks.
    Shockey was only a good blocker. Bennett in Dallas was far better than shockey ever was.

Here they were about even

I think he's as good a TE as you're going to find available. I think the Giants can get one more year out of him relatively cheap, if they make him a non-exclusinve frnachise player. Those rules are changing all the time; but my understanding is another team would have to give a #1 pick to take him from the Giants, so it ain't going to happen.

Reese did comment on Robinson the other day, so I wonder if he's got something up his sleeve. Robinson was in a horrible position for a rookie last year due to his restricted off-season availability, and they did have Bennett in front of him. I wouldn't be really too surprised if they let Bennett walk, and Robinson was the starter from day 1 of camp.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Shockey was only a good blocker. Bennett in Dallas was far better than shockey ever was.

Here they were about even
    I disagree and game tape disagrees. Shocks evolved into a a really good blocker. He didn't come to us as one but he improved his blocking skills every year. FYI Shockey was twice the receiving threat as Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    I think he's as good a TE as you're going to find available. I think the Giants can get one more year out of him relatively cheap, if they make him a non-exclusinve frnachise player. Those rules are changing all the time; but my understanding is another team would have to give a #1 pick to take him from the Giants, so it ain't going to happen.

Reese did comment on Robinson the other day, so I wonder if he's got something up his sleeve. Robinson was in a horrible position for a rookie last year due to his restricted off-season availability, and they did have Bennett in front of him. I wouldn't be really too surprised if they let Bennett walk, and Robinson was the starter from day 1 of camp.
    Non-exclusive franchise tag for a TE was $6,066,000 last year. I highly doubt Bennett gets tagged.

In regards to the OP, Bennett did well for his first year in the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGabriel View Post
    Non-exclusive franchise tag for a TE was $6,066,000 last year. I highly doubt Bennett gets tagged.

In regards to the OP, Bennett did well for his first year in the scheme.

I thought non-exclusive was 120% of his current salary? These freaking rules are so hard to keep up with. $6mil, no way.

Pascoe can't block, that's why he made the team as a fullback. Onl.ine blocking is different.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    Even though he put up good stats, he was highly touted as a great run blocker. Which is essentially why we targeted him in the first place. Unfortunately, I didn't see a high level of blocking ablity, I think he was good in the run game but not great.

I have to believe that is why we probably let him walk. Our scheme requires blocking first and receiving second.
    He is a great blocker and I will give him a pass playing a great portion of the season with a bum knee.