+ Reply to Thread

Cap Number for the Giants as of 3/2/13, anyone know?

I see so many different numbers that it makes me wonder if anyone really understands it enough to know what our cap situation is. As of today 3/2/13...and given the new increase to over $123 mil...

Anyone with real numbers...?

Also, a short list of our own FA's that we NEED to lock up. = Bonus points

Just under 119 mil. Which gives them about 4 mil in room.

A list of free agents?

Boothe, KP, hixon, Bennett, rivers, Carr, tynes

And restricted free agents who need tender offers. Cruz, brown, and brown.

Clearly the giants will not resign all their FAs. It seems they are willing to let Carr and tynes walk. Bennett too seems likely to walk.

I would be willing to let Hixon, tynes and Carr walk...keep Boothe for a low offer and KP would be loaded with performance based incentives especially for 2013 otherwise he can walk too. I don't prefer to keep the oft-injured!

Tender Cruz which gives us the first right of refusal or a first rounder...and the browns but I would like to see Bennett syay

I'm not sure if the final numbers are out, but a first round tender offer is ~$2.8 million. A second round tender is ~$1.3 million

So Cruz + Stevie brown = 4 million.

That's all the cap space they have left.

Then they still have the rookie class to sign...
    Last edited by slipknottin; 03-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Highly doubt Boothe returns to the team. I just don't see Reese putting too much money into the G position when Snee already has that tied up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Highly doubt Boothe returns to the team. I just don't see Reese putting too much money into the G position when Snee already has that tied up.
    There should be no confusion nor resistance on the topic of Restructuring Snee...he had an off year in 2012 and is commanding a lot for 2013. We should be able to gain at least $6 mil just from this one transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by hungrrrry View Post
    There should be no confusion nor resistance on the topic of Restructuring Snee...he had an off year in 2012 and is commanding a lot for 2013. We should be able to gain at least $6 mil just from this one transaction.
    Restructuring is not free. All that money eventually needs to be accounted for.

If they turn 6 mil of his base salary this year into a signing bonus then he still counts for 7 mil against the cap, and his cap hit next year goes from 9 mil to 12 mil.

And if he gets restructured and is then released after this season he leaves 5 mil in dead money.

Without restructuring if he is released after the season it's only 2 mil dead money

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Restructuring is not free. All that money eventually needs to be accounted for.

If they turn 6 mil of his base salary this year into a signing bonus then he still counts for 7 mil against the cap, and his cap hit next year goes from 9 mil to 12 mil.

And if he gets restructured and is then released after this season he leaves 5 mil in dead money.

Without restructuring if he is released after the season it's only 2 mil dead money
    i understand that but if we are supposed to be so well off in 2014, capsize, then we should spread it out in such a way that it can help us this season. I don't see us release Snee for a few more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hungrrrry View Post
    i understand that but if we are supposed to be so well off in 2014, capsize, then we should spread it out in such a way that it can help us this season. I don't see us release Snee for a few more seasons.
    Like I said, the most they could save with restructuring is ~3 million.

Better would be to extend him. But not sure they want to do that after he had a down year and has been talking about retiring

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    I wouldn't get too worried about cap space as it is now. I still think there will be a lot of guys being released. My top candidates for release are Rolle, Webster and Diehl , as far as bigger names go. I am sure there will be others, (in the Barden category as well). If the Giants end up keeping any of them, it will because they have renegotiated contracts, not restructured ones. I think we will also lose a few free agents as well. Most of us are looking at the roster in a much too static point of view.