+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like nfl network doesn't talk about LT as much as other greats

Veteran

I feel like nfl network doesn't talk about LT as much as other greats

Every time I watch nfl networks top ten lists there's always stuff about Joe Montanna, Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, or Barry sanders. Montanna even has his own top ten list. I feel like LT gets disrespected a lot. The giants of the 80s are only number 3 in LB corps. LT is number 3 in best pass rushers and most feared tackler. I get that there are other other great players but this guy is the G.O.A.T. Yet they won't even put him at number 1 on these lists. They had LT at number 3 in the 100 greatest players ever but that's basically the only way you'd know that the network actually cares what LT did. Barry sanders is 1 on pretty much all of their lists that would include him in their category. **** Butkus hurt people but that's about all he did. Deacon Jones got sacks but he didn't really change the position like say JJ Watt or Reggie white. I just feel like if your the G.O.A.T they'd put him 1 on something

Ehh, no big deal. If they ever do a show of top ten linebackers and he isn't #1, then you would have an argument.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    Gentle Giant. While I agree LT does not get enough play time on NFL network, a lot of the other things you are saying here are, in my opinion, wrong. I read what you say here and I have to conclude you never really saw guys like Butkus and Jones play the game. I mean, you are claiming J J Watt is better than Deacon Jones? All Butkus ever did was hurt people? NFL Network probably won't play up LT due to his ongoing problems in life. Is that right? No, but it is their network. I know you wrote you thread with a lot of emotion, but it is blinding you to other truly great football legends. By the way, Deacon Jones wrote the book of D-line play. Butkus IS still considered one of the best middle linebackers of all time, and he could have been better had he not been hampered with his many injuries. Be mad you don't see enough LT, but don't short change other great players in the process. Peace Brother.

I'm guessing LT's recent "issues" have something to do with it. I believe he his the GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER ever. He would have kicked Jim Browns a**!!!!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    Gentle Giant. While I agree LT does not get enough play time on NFL network, a lot of the other things you are saying here are, in my opinion, wrong. I read what you say here and I have to conclude you never really saw guys like Butkus and Jones play the game. I mean, you are claiming J J Watt is better than Deacon Jones? All Butkus ever did was hurt people? NFL Network probably won't play up LT due to his ongoing problems in life. Is that right? No, but it is their network. I know you wrote you thread with a lot of emotion, but it is blinding you to other truly great football legends. By the way, Deacon Jones wrote the book of D-line play. Butkus IS still considered one of the best middle linebackers of all time, and he could have been better had he not been hampered with his many injuries. Be mad you don't see enough LT, but don't short change other great players in the process. Peace Brother.
    Deacon Jones wrote the book but did he ever actually go any farther than that? He's better than Watt but Watt is doing things Jones wishes he could do. Also Butkus was a great LB but he never even sniffed the playoffs and Dont tell me its cause he was one a bad team. He was a middle LB. Hes suppose to make everyone else better. He's suppose to tear a scheme. Not tear up a player. Great you beat the crap out of the blocker, too bad the HB just ran by you.I'd personally put ray Lewis and jack lambert ahead of him and LT is better than both of those guys. As for Jones. The guy didn't write the book. He was on the best d line of all time, he used a style of play that is now illegal. If Jones wrote the book then why is his style of play banned now? Apparently his "book" is illegal. I'd put Reggie white or joe green ahead of him. It has nothing to do with emotion. It's common sense that LT is better than both those guys.
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 03-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Deacon Jones was great because of the head slap maneuver he used on the OL. You couldn't get away with that in LT's day or today. LT was the greatest player I've ever seen. Great athlete, super fast for his size and loved to hit people. Teams literally had to change there game to try to keep him off there QB. THE BEST EVER PERIOD!

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    It wasn't illegal at the time. Look at LT's highlights and you will see a lot of plays where he would have gotten personal fouls by today's standards. Don't use the rules of that era to say Jones couldn't play by the rules of LT's era. You have no credible way to prove that. To say that running backs just ran past Butkus is just simply not the truth. Try looking at video from other than the last few injury riddled years of his career. I understand that you are unhappy LT doesn't get as much time on the channel as a lot of guys. Everyone has biases. Even network people. I agree LT was one of the best defensive players in the game. Be pissed off that Lt is not featured enough. But don't disparage other great game changing players when it is not necessary. Believe it or not I'm on your side. LT does not get the time. But as others have said, it's because of his personal issues off the field, (and cocaine on the field) that they hold against him. IMO

Its also because they favor offense. Look at all the names listed by the OP, what do they have in common?

"I test how other people deal with reality"
    I believe its a conspiracy,They do not like LT for some reason and he was set up had no idea the hooker was underage.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    It wasn't illegal at the time. Look at LT's highlights and you will see a lot of plays where he would have gotten personal fouls by today's standards. Don't use the rules of that era to say Jones couldn't play by the rules of LT's era. You have no credible way to prove that. To say that running backs just ran past Butkus is just simply not the truth. Try looking at video from other than the last few injury riddled years of his career. I understand that you are unhappy LT doesn't get as much time on the channel as a lot of guys. Everyone has biases. Even network people. I agree LT was one of the best defensive players in the game. Be pissed off that Lt is not featured enough. But don't disparage other great game changing players when it is not necessary. Believe it or not I'm on your side. LT does not get the time. But as others have said, it's because of his personal issues off the field, (and cocaine on the field) that they hold against him. IMO
    The head slap was illegal. That's common sense. If it wasn't then obviously players would done it. And yes I do have credibility since jones did the head slap every time.LT had personal fouls sometimes. Deacon Jones head slap was what made him him cause he did it every snap . As for for Butkus. Ok so he was tough. LT caused 2 forced fumbles with 1 arm. I get what you mean but u don't fully understand. Look at Adrian Peterson for example. There are a lot of great RBs today. Lynch, Morris, etc. But none of them even come close to AP. There a lot of great all time LB. But none of them came close to LT. He literally played on a different incomparable level. It's why the best QB or RB is debatable and WR is not. Everyone knows Jerry rice is the WR but we dont know if brady, montana, elway, etc is the best qb. We dont know if the best RB is brown, payton or sanders. We know that Jerry rice is the greatest WR ever. LT is the Jerry rice of defensive players.
    Last edited by GentleGiant; 03-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread