+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Eli! hes an all-time great Giant already!

I think the odds favor Eli being harder to follow.

Chances are pretty high that TC gets replaced with a seasoned and well respected coach and that Eli gets replaced with an untested rookie.
    This space for rent

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    I think the odds favor Eli being harder to follow.

Chances are pretty high that TC gets replaced with a seasoned and well respected coach and that Eli gets replaced with an untested rookie.
    At one time, Eli was also an untested rookie.

Great coaches, like great QBs are tough to follow, just look at the long line of coaches between Parcels and TC. Funny thing about that though, without one you rarely have the other.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Tom Coughlin. They just don't make coaches like that anymore. Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, etc... could probably run the Giants offense just as good, but the 2 Superbowls, 4th quarter comebacks, playoff QB rating, SNL skits, and overall great character would be probably a bit harder to match.
    Right on. What other coach can have as many second half collapses? Now that's a tough act to follow!

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsforce View Post
    Right on. What other coach can have as many second half collapses? Now that's a tough act to follow!
    Those second half collapses are frustrating, but in the end no one will remember those. What they will remember is two super bowls and maybe more. And that puts Coughlin in a rare and unique class.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Veteran
    The show is not over yet for either Eli or TC.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Those second half collapses are frustrating, but in the end no one will remember those. What they will remember is two super bowls and maybe more. And that puts Coughlin in a rare and unique class.
    May be you will forget, but some of us will not. This team had too much talent when these collapses happened and it was because Coughlin allowed to happen by the way he lead or the lack of his leadership at critical times. Having all these offensive weapons and still letting Killdrive to call the same old, predictable plays is inexcusable. And to say that he does not understand why we cannot score TD's from inside the 30 is not the sign of a great coach. As far as more superbowls I hope you are right, but the way things are now, especially if we cannot bring back our key FA and we hold on to washed out players like Webster and Diehl I do not think we will sniff the playoffs again let alone another SB.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsforce View Post
    May be you will forget, but some of us will not. This team had too much talent when these collapses happened and it was because Coughlin allowed to happen by the way he lead or the lack of his leadership at critical times. Having all these offensive weapons and still letting Killdrive to call the same old, predictable plays is inexcusable. And to say that he does not understand why we cannot score TD's from inside the 30 is not the sign of a great coach. As far as more superbowls I hope you are right, but the way things are now, especially if we cannot bring back our key FA and we hold on to washed out players like Webster and Diehl I do not think we will sniff the playoffs again let alone another SB.
    Not arguing the frustration... but look back and what annoyed you most about Parcels? My guess is that you don't know, you just remember a great defense and an awesome running game. Coughlin has his flaws, but in the end, he has won 2 SBs, and there are still teams that haven't done that in their entire history. I am not a big fan of KG either... but you can't argue with rings, because that is ultimately all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    If TC gets one more ring, he will then be the best coach in Giants history.
    Wellington really loved Steve Owen. He was the Giants' Casey Stengel. Coach for 25 years, 2 championships, 10 championship game appearances... The staff that followed him under Jim Lee Howell had Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry on it, and the team went to 6 championship games in 8 years (although they only won 1).

Those were the golden coaching regimes and either is arguable for the best in Giants history.

You'll have to limit Coughlin's accolades to the modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Depends -- how many people remember the low class way Parcells made his exit, the disappointing ends to the 1988 or 1989 seasons, etc. I sure do. On the surface level Parcells was great but if you remember those details there are a lot of warts.