+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

General Salary Cap question

When the players negotiated the previous CBA. Why did they not vote for an increase in Salary Cap. The more Salary Cap you have the more you can get paid. The bigger contracts teams can sign players too. With the Cap remaining flat and teams in CAP HELL. Teams will not have any money to pay the Veterans and that's why teams are releasing players because they simply can't pay the contracts they agreed too. It seems they screwed themselves. Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones911 View Post
    When the players negotiated the previous CBA. Why did they not vote for an increase in Salary Cap. The more Salary Cap you have the more you can get paid. The bigger contracts teams can sign players too. With the Cap remaining flat and teams in CAP HELL. Teams will not have any money to pay the Veterans and that's why teams are releasing players because they simply can't pay the contracts they agreed too. It seems they screwed themselves. Or am I missing something?
    They tried. They failed.

good question bro... i've been wondering that myself.

i'll be on the look out for an answer...

The owners didn't let that go through.

This was a major piece of contention when negotiating the new CBA. Players wanted a higher cap, owners wanted a lower cap. Owners won this one.

I believe they did negotiate the % they get and monies form which the CAP is funded. But the whole reason for the CAP was to level the playing field across the League and it has sure done that. Prior to this CBA teams didn't have to spend a minimum amount of CAP and now they do.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by giantscolombia View Post
    good question bro... i've been wondering that myself.

i'll be on the look out for an answer...
    Here's the answer: They tried. They failed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I believe they did negotiate the % they get and monies form which the CAP is funded. But the whole reason for the CAP was to level the playing field across the League and it has sure done that. Prior to this CBA teams didn't have to spend a minimum amount of CAP and now they do.
    I do believe that there was salary floor in the old CBA, but it was set at like 85% of the cap, whereas with this CBA it's north of 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I do believe that there was salary floor in the old CBA, but it was set at like 85% of the cap, whereas with this CBA it's north of 90%.
    Maybe they just raised it then because some teams had more cash than the Federal Reserve
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Maybe they just raised it then because some teams had more cash than the Federal Reserve
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it was one of the trade offs of taking less of the total pie... Teams had to pay out more the pie they were sharing.

The strange part about it for to me was the majority of posters here that voiced their opinion on the subject came out in support of the owners instead of the players. For some reason these fans were concerned about the owners wallets knowing full well the league will stop at nothing until they suck every dime out of everyone's pockets.

So now we have a league with a bunch of good teams but no great ones.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.