+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Focused On Making Running Game A Strength Again

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    And that would be a foolish thing to do given Wilsons talent. Especially after seeing the success rookie runningbacks have had over the last five years. When a guy can take a simple sprint play for 60yards at any time, you give him every oppurtunity to break that run.
    It isn't just about running the ball. It has to to with knowing your blocking assignments and reading defenses as well. His breaking a run is second to keeping Eli upright.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    Really, what the team needs is for some of it's late round OL prospects to start developing into players. Brewer, Petrus, McCants, Mosely, Cordle, Capers. We need one of these guys to develop into a legit starter, similar to Boothe. It's hard to build a well rounded team relying only on your premium draft picks and free agents, we need more of our later draft picks at the position to start panning out.

I find it amazing how well he develope UDFA's, yet don't seem to have as many late round picks develop the same way.
    Is Petrus on the team?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I dont understand this "mauler" thing. Giants have never used maulers on the OL. Thats not how they run the ball. They are a pull and trap team.
    The best Oline we've had in a long time had Snee, Diehl, O'Hara, Suebert, and MacKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The best Oline we've had in a long time had Snee, Diehl, O'Hara, Suebert, and MacKenzie
    Yep, none of them particularly big mauler types. The interior guys are borderline 300 pounders, while the OTs are ~310-320.

What they did really well was get to the second level and hit targets on the move. Seubert was a tremendous pulling guard. O'hara got to the second level well, Snee has always been a decent puller, but he is the one guy who generally was asked to get clear out blocks. and McKenzie and Diehl werent pancake the defender type guys, they just sealed guys out.

Beatty is probably the best run blocking LT the team has had in awhile, but the rest of the OL is aging for sure. Baas I think can be a good player, he was a wrecking ball in week 17 last year, and I think hes done a pretty good job stuffing NTs on his own.

LG is an area of concern for sure. Giants have very little guard depth. RT I think they could find a guy in FA, but that job probably gets handed to diehl.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Yep, none of them particularly big mauler types. The interior guys are borderline 300 pounders, while the OTs are ~310-320.

What they did really well was get to the second level and hit targets on the move. Seubert was a tremendous pulling guard. O'hara got to the second level well, Snee has always been a decent puller, but he is the one guy who generally was asked to get clear out blocks. and McKenzie and Diehl werent pancake the defender type guys, they just sealed guys out.

Beatty is probably the best run blocking LT the team has had in awhile, but the rest of the OL is aging for sure. Baas I think can be a good player, he was a wrecking ball in week 17 last year, and I think hes done a pretty good job stuffing NTs on his own.

LG is an area of concern for sure. Giants have very little guard depth. RT I think they could find a guy in FA, but that job probably gets handed to diehl.
    They played so long together they actually knew what each was going to do without having to look. It was a very impressive unit.

I am glad we locked up Beatty. I hope Boothe can be landed as well. But I see the Oline as the first priority this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Another very weak article from Giants 101. The title speaks of making the running game a strength again then talks about keeping "Eli upright." They don't deal at all with our OL, not even a mention of its central role in making the running game work. Not a single mention that we are likely to have the same cast of characters along the OL next season who didn't get it done last year. Who are these people writing this stuff at Giants101? Do they have any sports or journalisim credentials?
    As bad as this OLine is, they have been respectable keeping Eli upright. Eli's pocket prescence helps. But, we don't have a single OLineman who we can count on to run behind on 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2, Always stuffed at the line. So, to make the running game a strength we need at least one beast on the line.. Beatty or Boothe? Forget it... they haven't shown that beast-ability. Even a 3rd string RB can get us a 1st down with a hole. Get us that beast run blocker and that's all this O needs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    As bad as this OLine is, they have been respectable keeping Eli upright. Eli's pocket prescence helps. But, we don't have a single OLineman who we can count on to run behind on 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2, Always stuffed at the line. So, to make the running game a strength we need at least one beast on the line.. Beatty or Boothe? Forget it... they haven't shown that beast-ability. Even a 3rd string RB can get us a 1st down with a hole. Get us that beast run blocker and that's all this O needs right now.
    That's as clear as day to you and me Zim but not the author of this article.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    They played so long together they actually knew what each was going to do without having to look. It was a very impressive unit.

I am glad we locked up Beatty. I hope Boothe can be landed as well. But I see the Oline as the first priority this offseason.
    Signing Boothe may be safe but it leaves us with last year's unit except for Snee post surgery and heaven knows what at RT. That doesn't feel like progress to me RF..............especially for a unit that performed so poorly (in the run game) when the game was on the line.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Signing Boothe may be safe but it leaves us with last year's unit except for Snee post surgery and heaven knows what at RT. That doesn't feel like progress to me RF..............especially for a unit that performed so poorly (in the run game) when the game was on the line.
    I think we have a decent group center left, but the right side, even with Snee, need rebuilding. We need a GOOD RT and depth. I don't know if we have that in the twos and threes on the roster.

I think they went large for Beatty and won't do it again this season for another lineman.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Not much buzz about Jake Long

If the Giants signed him, I'd be shocked by how much they invested in tackles.

+ Reply to Thread