+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Football and Character

Giants Football and Character

This is a thread stemming from the Alex Ogeltree thread. I don't think the Giants have some magic formula for knowing a players character. We err on the safe side. We stay away from any player with red flags in the first round in the JR/TC era.

So far it's worked out, but good people don't make good players. Good players make good players. Vontaze Burfict wasn't drafted in part because of his character issues (he tends to be a hot head on the field), yet all year long he played like a first round pick. **For those wanting to argue this point- don't. Black Madden has spoken.

Had I scouted LT in college, and if he had failed a drug test in college I would have still drafted LT. All of this talk about character is baloney. DD is a stand up guy as is Webster, yet how many of us want them to be starters next year at their current level of play. Character doesn't make plays and making plays doesn't give you character. I totally understand not drafting a guy because of the risk he poses of being suspended, but that is about wins and losses not about who's a good person and who's a dirtbag. I realize I don't know any of these kids. I just want them to make plays.

The giants have ALWAYS stayed away from any player with red flags in the first round. In their entire history.

Find even a single example of a guy with flags in the first round ever in their history.

I think there are levels you don't want to touch and I think the Giants do too. I also think they aren't afraid to try and coach up a kid with problems. Ogletree is risky pick but I don't think he's not worth it. This is a risk I would want them to take.

That being said....Reese never goes LB in the first round and never picks my choice......stoopid imgrate

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    The giants have ALWAYS stayed away from any player with red flags in the first round. In their entire history.

Find even a single example of a guy with flags in the first round ever in their history.
    William Joseph's work ethic was questioned and that is why he dropped to us in the first round. Work ethic is a character issue, an issue that followed him in the Pros. Other than that one instance I think your right.
    Last edited by B&RWarrior; 03-03-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    I think there are levels you don't want to touch and I think the Giants do too. I also think they aren't afraid to try and coach up a kid with problems. Ogletree is risky pick but I don't think he's not worth it. This is a risk I would want them to take.

That being said....Reese never goes LB in the first round and never picks my choice......stoopid imgrate
    You, I've been waiting for a 1st round DT for 5 years, but we never draft high enough to get an elite DT...to busy winning SBs. This Reese dude is clueless.

Ogletree won't get drafted by NY.. atleast not in the 1st (and he won't be there in the 2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    You, I've been waiting for a 1st round DT for 5 years, but we never draft high enough to get an elite DT...to busy winning SBs. This Reese dude is clueless.
    Pisses me off!!! We should hire Gil Brandt.....dude is a "genious"

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Pisses me off!!! We should hire Gil Brandt.....dude is a "genious"
    I respectfully disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Ogletree won't get drafted by NY.. atleast not in the 1st (and he won't be there in the 2nd)
    Sadly....I do know this. Just wish I could be right about my draft picks just ONCE!!

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    I respectfully disagree
    LOL

+ Reply to Thread