+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Franchise Tag????

  1. #1

    Franchise Tag????

    The deadline to apply the franchise tag on a singular designated player is at 4:00pm today... If we use the tag whom do you see us placing it on if anybody?

    I can see Phillips or Cruz but doubt Cruz gets big money this season... Your thoughts gentleman?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cliffside Park, NJ
    Posts
    4,595
    Quote Originally Posted by nygon3 View Post
    The deadline to apply the franchise tag on a singular designated player is at 4:00pm today... If we use the tag whom do you see us placing it on if anybody?

    I can see Phillips or Cruz but doubt Cruz gets big money this season... Your thoughts gentleman?
    Cruz is ineligible to be franchised as he is not a free agent. Giants rarely use it but agree Phillips would be the guy to get tagged if it were to be used but it really is unaffordable considering the Giants cap.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

  3. #3
    Phillips is not worth the franchise tag. Plus the tag would require them to pay him a one year deal of the average of the top 5 highest paid safeties in the league. It would all hit this years cap. They can't afford it.

  4. #4
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,259
    No one is getting tagged. Sorry to burst your bubble sweet cheeks.

  5. #5
    Veteran TAILGATIN''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Posts
    1,300
    Agreed. No one is.

    "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

  6. #6
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,299
    Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    Cruz is ineligible to be franchised as he is not a free agent. Giants rarely use it but agree Phillips would be the guy to get tagged if it were to be used but it really is unaffordable considering the Giants cap.
    Cruz is a Restricted Free Agent an d could be tagged but that would not make sense since he can also be tendered which he will be in all likelihood. If they can't come to agreement on a deal during the 2013 season he could get the franchise tag in 2014 although that's not likely.

    No one will get tagged today.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  7. #7
    Starter blueribbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    long island
    Posts
    425
    No one.

  8. #8
    Hate to bust your Bubbles -- But I dont see the GIants using the Franchise tag on ANYBODY. The players we have that are UFA'S aren't worth the Dollars it would take to Franchise them

    Period End of Story, That may be a little Brazen but the truth hurts sometimes

    peace
    Dan

  9. #9
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98,299
    Quote Originally Posted by danme View Post
    Hate to bust your Bubbles -- But I dont see the GIants using the Franchise tag on ANYBODY. The players we have that are UFA'S aren't worth the Dollars it would take to Franchise them

    Period End of Story, That may be a little Brazen but the truth hurts sometimes

    peace
    Dan
    Whose bubbles? Someone posts a thought here and other members may, or may not, have something to add to that thought. Very often, members will offer differing opinions. John Mara said we "probably wouldn't" use the franchise tag followed quickly by Jerry Reese saying that it was still on the table. John Mara is the owner, Reese is the GM and it's Reese's call to make. If he chose to apply the tag I don't think John Mara's bubble would have burst.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  10. #10
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,259
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Whose bubbles? Someone posts a thought here and other members may, or may not, have something to add to that thought. Very often, members will offer differing opinions. John Mara said we "probably wouldn't" use the franchise tag followed quickly by Jerry Reese saying that it was still on the table. John Mara is the owner, Reese is the GM and it's Reese's call to make. If he chose to apply the tag I don't think John Mara's bubble would have burst.
    He was just saying how he didn't want to burst their bubbles. That's no big deal. It's true, they aren't going to tag anyone. That's just how the giants are and right now, we are in financial distress.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts