+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salary Cap and the effect On the Draft.

Salary Cap and the effect On the Draft.

The Giants are currently trying to clear cap space to sign Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz to a long term deal. As a result, they have been cutting players to reposition some cap space. So, with that in mind, is it possible that the Giants decide to move up in the draft from #19 to possibly a top 12 selection? Obvioulsy, if the right player is there it will make the decision easier, but I find it interesting to ponder.
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Sure we can move up to 12... just have to convince the Dolphins (who hold the #12 pick) that they REAAAALLLLY need Victor Cruz... As a side benefit, we would pick at 12 AND 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeyitus View Post
    The Giants are currently trying to clear cap space to sign Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz to a long term deal. As a result, they have been cutting players to reposition some cap space. So, with that in mind..
    I don't follow? Why would we move up?

What does your first two sentences have to do with moving up? Anyone else confused?

What does one have to do with the other?
    Last edited by NYG4lifeNYK; 03-04-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

#80 - Get well soon Vic

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    I don't follow? Why would we move up?
    We have salary cap issues and need to make room for our current roster. Moving up in the draft and surrending maybe a 4th rounder this year, eliminates one less player we need to sign. With the new rookie salaries, it maybe be cost efficient.
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

We have salary cap issues and need to make room for our current roster. Moving up in the draft and surrending maybe a 4th rounder this year, eliminates one less player we need to sign. With the new rookie salaries, it maybe be cost efficient.
    More like a 2nd or a 3rd. I see what you mean but with the new rookie wage scale I don't see it making much of a difference overall.

That's not the answer. You can find good talent in the 4th round. I think we would rather cut someone like Webster or have him to agree to take a huge pay cut. Same with Diehl. We haven't finished making moves.

Plus a 4th would not cut it.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

#80 - Get well soon Vic

For the Giants to sign all their draft picks regardless of position comes out to about 4.6 million in CAP space. So in reality we need about 5 mill in cap space to sign all rookies.

+ Reply to Thread