+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's just start from scratch (Toadofsteel 3.0)

Let's just start from scratch (Toadofsteel 3.0)

Edit, flipped my first two picks around.

Round 1: Alex Okafor DE Texas
    A reach in the first, but plugs in right into a position of need (LDE). Right now he's listed behind Jordan, Mingo, Ziggy, Werner, Moore, Jones, and Tank on the DE depth in this draft, so he could very well be a steal that could fall to our 2nd round pick. A true LDE that would allow us to move into the future at the DE position, with JPP solidified as our RDE. Would allow Tuck to be a "defensive Diehl" for 2013, an older player in decline, but has the versatility to plug and play as needed in any of the DL positions.

If he's not there, someone like Kyle Long would be a good pick as well.

Round 2: Arthur Brown ILB Kansas St.
    This guy would be the ultimate steal in a massive position of need if we got him. Good coverage, plays a lot stronger than his frame suggests. Good sideline-to-sideline speed, can match up decently vs a TE, slot WR, WR on crossing route, or RB. Most importantly, he's not Dez Bryant in a linebacker's body.

If he is (most likely) off the board, I'd still probably take Te'o or Minter over Ogletree, who, character issues aside, seems to fit into a 4-3 more as a weak-side linebacker than a true MLB. For that matter. if he was gone and someone in a different position like Werner, Ansah, or Rhodes fell to 19, I would pick that way as well and just roll with Blackburn for one more year. Under absolutely NO circumstances would I ever pick Ogletree.

Round 3: Bennie Logan DT LSU
    This pick is my lone unchanged pick from previous mocks. I think he is a decent DT that can definitely help out right away in rotation with Kuhn. Loves the Giants (yes I know we've all read that article, but it bears reiterating).

Round 4: Earl Watford OG James Madison
    A developmental G who is decent at pass protection but needs to bulk up a little to make it in the NFL. Since we still have Snee in 2013, he could develop his rookie year into Snee's eventual replacement.

Round 5: Rodney Smith WR Florida St.
    Normally I would say we don't need to draft a WR, but with Barden most likely gone and possibly Hixon as well, Smith is a tall receiver that, unlike Barden, is also a smooth route runner. Needs to work on his ability to physically fight for the ball, but he presents a huge target.

Round 6: Kip Edwards CB Missouri
    Has the size to be an outside corner in the NFL. Since we're most likely stuck with the Toaster for one more year, I feel like we can wait on picking a CB until here. Has problems in press coverage and is better playing off the receiver, but since PF never calls for press coverage anyway it shouldn't be that big of a problem, increasing his value for our organization.

Round 7: Cameron Lawrence OLB Missippi St.
    A strong-side LB, has good football discipline, maintains gap control, has constant motor, is not afraid to take on blocks and works hard to beat them. Only real problem is that he's skinny and would need a good year or so to bulk up with an NFL weight program.
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 03-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.

why are you thinking Arthur Brown will be gone..? and if he is a weak-side LB, I don't want him

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    why are you thinking Arthur Brown will be gone..? and if he is a weak-side LB, I don't want him
    I was saying Ogletree was projected to fit more as a weak LB in a 4-3 (inside on 3-4)...

And Brown is rated higher than Ogletree and Te'o... pretty much the highest ILB on the board right now, hence why I say massive dream pick.

Ehh, it only takes 2-3 QBs for a few of these "dream" picks to be pushed down to us. That doesn't factor in all the talented defensive players at DE, DT, and CB that could easily go before Brown. There's the big three OTs and the slight possibility of a G reach so Arthur Brown has a very realistic possibility being available at 19th overall.

Okafor in the middle of round 2 sounds more like a dream to be honest because the fans and media are sleeping on him since he doesn't possess some freakish athletic trait for us to talk about. He's a solid player that could be a late 1st to early 2nd round choice.

I don't think brown will go in the the top 20 picks or even the first round IMO. So I think he has a low value rating at pick 19.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    This and this. Brown needs to bulk up if he wants to be a MIKE. Next two picks are good but they'll probably be gone. Bennie Logan definitely won't be in the 4th. Some have him going in the 2nd..

Ohh and btw u r definitely the biggest ogletree hater on these boards.. Lol. I agree with your assessment of how he fits on our team but u make the guy out to be the devil or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    This and this. Brown needs to bulk up if he wants to be a MIKE. Next two picks are good but they'll probably be gone. Bennie Logan definitely won't be in the 4th. Some have him going in the 2nd..
    If Brown is not 1st round material, someone explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Brown is only 1b lighter than Bowman and they are the same height. He would be fine being our glue in the middle.

My dream situation is still to find a trading partner late in the first or early 2nd to pick Minter, but that's not likely to happen. I always check first for character and maturity issues, as a player that is not willing to learn, work, and improve will never be a good pro football player, no matter how freakishly athletic he is. (The way I have the top 4 ILB rated from best to worst in character and work ethic: Minter, Brown, Te'o, Ogletree.)

People here seem to subscribe to the JPP school of thought: Bring in a raw athlete and he will learn how to play on the fly. But they forget that the resaon JPP was raw was because he switched from basketball to football fairly late in college. He's very smart and has learned admirably. Not every football player can replicate that. You need the mental capacity to be able to execute your assignments, otherwise that athleticism is for nothing.

tl;dr: brain over brawns.

+ Reply to Thread