+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 NFL Draft: A QB For The Giants?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-...arr-zak-dysert

Excerpt: "In the wake of the news that New York Giants' backup quarterback David Carr intends to take advantage of free agency to see if there is a market for his services, we wrote about potential replacements in the free-agent market?

What about the other approach to replacing Carr? What about using a mid- to late-round pick on on a quarterback and trying to develop him into a capable understudy for Eli Manning?
    Would the Giants go this route? Why wouldn't they? GM Jerry Reese has tried this route twice, spending a sixth-round pick on Andre Woodson in 2008 and a fifth-round pick on Rhett Bomar in 2009. Neither worked out, however, and the Giants have used the veterans Carr and Sage Rosenfels to caddy for Manning.

[SB Nation NFL Draft Quarterback Rankings]

Could Carr's possible departure convince Reese to jump back into the quarterback pool and grab a developmental quarterback? This is not a great year for quarterbacks at the top of the draft, but there are a number of quarterbacks expected to be taken in the mid- to late rounds of the draft." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I am happy with Carr as a backup because the numbers are manageable, he knows the system and he has some experience. That said, have you watched that guy throw a ball three quarters off his shoulder? No zip at all. If he can get a better deal elsewhere, I am happy for him and his family and totally confident that we can find a equal or better replacement for the same money. I am not sure that the person we are looking for is available in the late rounds as a "project". A project by definition will take some time to develop and is not a sure thing. Our #2 needs to be someone with NFL game experience who can get us through a few games without making bone head plays until Eli returns. No backup is going to take us on a deep run in the playoffs. The salary cap doesn't allow that. If we are going to take a late QB pick in the draft, he will not be our #2 so we need a plan B for that. Not a big deal either way if Carr leaves. There are plenty of guys who can take his place.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I am happy with Carr as a backup because the numbers are manageable, he knows the system and he has some experience. That said, have you watched that guy throw a ball three quarters off his shoulder? No zip at all. If he can get a better deal elsewhere, I am happy for him and his family and totally confident that we can find a equal or better replacement for the same money. I am not sure that the person we are looking for is available in the late rounds as a "project". A project by definition will take some time to develop and is not a sure thing. Our #2 needs to be someone with NFL game experience who can get us through a few games without making bone head plays until Eli returns. No backup is going to take us on a deep run in the playoffs. The salary cap doesn't allow that. If we are going to take a late QB pick in the draft, he will not be our #2 so we need a plan B for that. Not a big deal either way if Carr leaves. There are plenty of guys who can take his place.
    You know, Eli has been Mr. Reliable/Durable since we signed him. But how long can we realistically expect that to continue? I believe Reese always has a plan, but I am wondering if he is being lulled into a false sense of QB security.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    You know, Eli has been Mr. Reliable/Durable since we signed him. But how long can we realistically expect that to continue? I believe Reese always has a plan, but I am wondering if he is being lulled into a false sense of QB security.
    I agree with that but we need a plan for our future quarterback (may not be a pick this year) and we need a separate plan for who comes in for Eli if he's dinged up this year. They are almost certainly NOT the same person.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I agree with that but we need a plan for our future quarterback (may not be a pick this year) and we need a separate plan for who comes in for Eli if he's dinged up this year. They are almost certainly NOT the same person.
    I know it's too early for a "replacement", but I'd like to have confidence that the # 2 could play 4 or 5 games and win better than half of them.

# 80

Maybe Tyler Bray? That's about the only mid round QB prospect I could even get semi-excited about lol. If we really are looking for a guy to challenge Curtis Painter, we could probably achieve that with the UDFA route.

Denard Robinson if he falls to the fifth. But is more like an option QB

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    That's what we want, an option at QB

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    He's a really intriguing prospect but he just doesn't scream Giants to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    He's a really intriguing prospect but he just doesn't scream Giants to me.
    Yea, i think the Giants with their dynamic wideouts, if they can find that russel wilson/RG3 type QB who can scramble and throw down field, we'll be even more awesome on offensive. Because our O-line with the exception of Diehl, pass protects well, and sometimes if nothing is there, a QB that can run for a first down is good too. What about Perriloux, isn't he still on the PS? He has a nice arm.