+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants Clear CAP Space To Keep Beatty Bunch

Giants Clear CAP Space To Keep Beatty Bunch

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...keep-their-own

Excerpt: "Teams can begin free-agent negotiations this weekend, and the New York Giants have been busy carving out cap space to retain some of their key players and perhaps sign some veterans.

General manager Jerry Reese cleared some more cap space this week, with cornerbackCorey Webster agreeing to a pay cut and center David Baas restructuring his contract. The Giants now reportedly have $8 million to $9 million in cap space, and they still might do more maneuvering before free agents are allowed to officially sign Tuesday.
    "We have to wait and see," head coach Tom Coughlin said when asked if the Giants will do more in free agency besides trying to keep some players. "It is all cap-driven."

The Giants plowed a chunk of cap space when they released veterans Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Canty andMichael Boley in early February. Those cuts helped the Giants take care of their biggest free-agent priority,Will Beatty. The team locked up their left tackle to a five-year deal worth as much as $38.75 million before Beatty could hit the open market.

But they still have holes to fill. Left guard Kevin Boothe and tight end Martellus Bennett are two of the top free-agent priorities for Reese. Both could first see what they can command on the free-agent market.
    And then there's restricted free agent Victor Cruz. Both sides want to work out an extension, but the situation appears heading toward the Giants tendering Cruz with a first-round tender that would allow the team time to work out a deal later." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I guess this is an appropriate place to ask....does anyone have any info or know the ballpark figure they offered KP?

Only 8-9 million under is still Cap hell. With Cruz getting at the least 2.8 million, and about 4.5 million going to the draft class, we're pretty much at the threshold. Bennett and Phillips are probably gone, and Boothe may be also.

I would say we are still going to see some more restructures or cuts in the next couple of days.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Only 8-9 million under is still Cap hell. With Cruz getting at the least 2.8 million, and about 4.5 million going to the draft class, we're pretty much at the threshold. Bennett and Phillips are probably gone, and Boothe may be also. I would say we are still going to see some more restructures or cuts in the next couple of days.
    Amen bro, the Cowgirls managed to clear more space than us. Just Freakin cut DD already.

Yea I don't get how they were 20 Million over and all of the sudden they have more cap space then us
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I know this subject has been beat like a dead horse but to solve the cap issue they need to do something with Eli's contract. He could by himself alone resolve the all the problems and allow the team to bring back key guys if he does something similar to what Brady did for NE
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    I know this subject has been beat like a dead horse but to solve the cap issue they need to do something with Eli's contract. He could by himself alone resolve the all the problems and allow the team to bring back key guys if he does something similar to what Brady did for NE
    If your boss approached you and asked you to take a pay cut so he could afford to hire some other employees, would you do it??

How many star players have you seen do what Brady did. That is not the norm, and Eli shouldn't be expected to do that.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by S.I 2 VA GMEN View Post
    Amen bro, the Cowgirls managed to clear more space than us. Just Freakin cut DD already.
    He's the heart and soul of this Giants team, can't cut him

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    Yea I don't get how they were 20 Million over and all of the sudden they have more cap space then us
    Jerry has a lot of tricks up his sleeves don't underestimate him

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    If your boss approached you and asked you to take a pay cut so he could afford to hire some other employees, would you do it??

How many star players have you seen do what Brady did. That is not the norm, and Eli shouldn't be expected to do that.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong because this is an area I am weak in... I don't want to know all this money crap. You guys can figure it out for me... but what Brady did, and what Eli can do, is not take less, but stretch their contracts over a longer time period and free up more space this year, and into the future. Tom will get his... it's restructuring, not taking a cut overall.
    Am I wrong?

+ Reply to Thread