+ Reply to Thread
Page 280 of 814 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330380780 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 8133

Thread: The Freaking Lounge

  1. #2791
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In Cruz' Basement, Hiding
    Posts
    30,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Muscle through it. School can be a drag, and I definitely felt the same way when I first went to college, but ****ing off like I did cost me. Sure, I had great times and great experiences in the meantime, but I truly wish I kept my nose to the grindstone when I was a kid. Think about it this way, say you take 5 years off from school (trust me, they go by QUICK). That's 5 years of earnings (and raises) that you'll lose. Not to mention 5 years worth of retirement savings lost.

    Also, when you send out resumes it looks worse the older you are and the less experience you have (unless your work history is going to contain relevant, lower level work to what you want to do).

    Then there's repayment of your student loans. Are you going to be able to afford your payments if you take more than 1 semester off (and again, from experience, one semester turns into two into three into four very quickly)? When I was in my late teens/early 20's, it was easy to say, "Hey, I'm young, I still have plenty of time." Then one day I woke up and I wasn't so young anymore.

    Now that I've done my "scared straight" routine, what is it that you want to do with your psychology degree? I think you said you want to be a school psychologist? If that is the case, think about the end goal. See the forest, not the trees. If you look at all the individual classes and work you'll have to do to reach that goal, it'll seem insurmountable. When you are having trouble keeping motivated, think about what you'll be able to accomplish in your profession and the positive change that you'll be able to affect in the students you'll get to work with and help. Hopefully, that will help get you through the down cycles.

    Also, classes get much more interesting when you get to the 300 and 400 level courses. So, you have that to which to look forward.
    I think that's what is killing me. I'm very disinterested in general ed classes.

    This won't be forever...just for the time being. Thanks Drez, I appreciate it.

  2. #2792
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In Cruz' Basement, Hiding
    Posts
    30,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morrison View Post
    You have to realize that you are at the prime of your life, yes it's tuff, you don't have mom and dad to throw you in your room and make you do you homework and study, you are in charge of your future, do what it takes and most of all take advantage of this period in your life when you are still free. You will be fine, it's called the sophmore slump, just the fact that you realize it's happening is a good sign. So enjoy your freedom while you can, after you graduate, that's when it's really going to suck.
    Definitely. First year, first semester I had excellent grades..then they started to go down hill, I guess I'm enjoying the social life a little bit too much? Lol. But in all seriousness, you're right..this is my life and nobody is going to do my work for me, I have to do it. Just gotta suck it up!

    Thanks for that, really cheered me up.

  3. #2793
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    That sucks, happened to me last semester. Talk to your dept chair and see if you can have one moved, its worth a shot.
    I know my college had a rule where you could get one exam moved if you had 3 in one day, especially back-to-back-to-back.

  4. #2794
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In Cruz' Basement, Hiding
    Posts
    30,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I know my college had a rule where you could get one exam moved if you had 3 in one day, especially back-to-back-to-back.
    Ah those suck. My roommate has 3 tomorrow as well, and they are all back to back.

  5. #2795
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Ah those suck. My roommate has 3 tomorrow as well, and they are all back to back.
    Luckily, I never ran into that situation. But, I generally only took 4 classes a semester. Had to be able to keep a full time job while going to school. That sucked! When I was going to CC, I was working 45-50 hours a week, then dropped down to 35-40 when I finished my degree at the university. I did have to drop down to about 25-28 when I was going for my MS, though. Between night classes (all the classes were 4pm or later), pre-practicum hours, and student teaching it was a miracle I was able to keep that many hours.

  6. #2796
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In Cruz' Basement, Hiding
    Posts
    30,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Luckily, I never ran into that situation. But, I generally only took 4 classes a semester. Had to be able to keep a full time job while going to school. That sucked! When I was going to CC, I was working 45-50 hours a week, then dropped down to 35-40 when I finished my degree at the university. I did have to drop down to about 25-28 when I was going for my MS, though. Between night classes (all the classes were 4pm or later), pre-practicum hours, and student teaching it was a miracle I was able to keep that many hours.
    Sounds rough, but you made it through! Man I sounded like a whiny baby earlier.

  7. #2797
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    I ****ING LOVE SOY SAUCE NOM NOM NOM.


    I just got this awesome stir fry hot sauce that is vinegar,chili peppers and soy sauce. Sounds gross but if you like your asian food spicy check it out.

  8. #2798
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    I just got this awesome stir fry hot sauce that is vinegar,chili peppers and soy sauce. Sounds gross but if you like your asian food spicy check it out.

  9. #2799
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Sounds rough, but you made it through! Man I sounded like a whiny baby earlier.
    Not really. I had the benefit of having had ****ed up a bunch earlier. It's easier to stay motivated when you know that you're running out of time, lol.

  10. #2800
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    18,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    My roommate
    Is she hot?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts