+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 814 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229629 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 8133
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    I don't care about the revolutions and stuff. I like the Industrial stuff.
    one of the coolest parts of american history was late 1800's in the wild west. love that time period.

Ah, the industrial revolution was cool to learn about. Andrew Carnegie and people like him.

I've always loved the roaring twenties. Seemed like fun back then. Of course the country was on the brink of depression but still..

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    one of the coolest parts of american history was late 1800's in the wild west. love that time period.
    That stuff all bores me, I don't know why. I want to know a time period, but I want a nice concept to study. This book ain't bad because it talks about when the stock market came around and how it influenced wars and stuff. I just hated history COURSES, where it was just facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    I didn't start to cultivate a true love and appreciation for history until I was out of highschool.
    One of my favorite teachers in HS was a Social Studies teacher. The teacher I hated the most was also a Social Studies teacher. That ******* once curved a test down because too many kids did well. Mind you he didn't normally curve. His reasoning was, "Too many of you did well on this test. That means I mustn't have made it difficult enough, so I'm deducting 5 points from everyone's test scores." He didn't think to himself that he did a better job teaching. No. Just that he made the test too easy. My friend Danielle was absolutely crushed. It was the first A grade she had gotten all year, and this was in late April. The deduction brought her score down to an 88. The guy was a Class A ******. I have plenty of stories about that guy, lol.

I guess what I was trying to say before I started ranting was, if a subject could have one of my favorite teachers and the one I hated most, it had to be intriguing.

That stuff all bores me, I don't know why. I want to know a time period, but I want a nice concept to study. This book ain't bad because it talks about when the stock market came around and how it influenced wars and stuff. I just hated history COURSES, where it was just facts.
    I assume you haven't taken many higher level history courses? Like 300 level or higher? A lot of the lower level, intro course tend to be a little more rote. But, really, it all comes down to the instructor. Are they going to dictate to you or guide you through the nuances of history.

I like social sciences. I understand why math is important because you learn a concept, and you follow the process. Social sciences get a bad rep because it's not hard or empirical evidence. That's what makes it interesting though.

Government is one of the best classes I've ever taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I assume you haven't taken many higher level history courses? Like 300 level or higher? A lot of the lower level, intro course tend to be a little more rote. But, really, it all comes down to the instructor. Are they going to dictate to you or guide you through the nuances of history.
    Yeah right. The day I take those... I rather take psych courses for my electives.

How about this: Look at the American Revolution's influence on the French Revolution. Further, analyze how Rousseau's,The Social Contract, namely his idea of the "general will" directly resulted in the Reign of Terror, Napoleon's rise to power and how that affected European and global politics and power structures for the following 100 or so years.

Lol Moke would love reading about Social Darwinism.