+ Reply to Thread
Page 266 of 814 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366766 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 8133
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    We need to be worried about how to write more papers IMO. The more research we do and the more reading and writing we do, the better we will become as intellects IMO. I know writing long papers are annoying, but when you're doing research on stuff that you're studying, it really helps.

Most people can study accounting and tax laws and all that stuff, but most likely they'll forget it.

The real question is whether or not that student understands reading business-related articles, especially on accounting.

I know people who are taking finance who never read the financial papers and have no idea what's really going on.

We need more papers IMO, it leads to more research.
    In today's world I think it's almost more useful to know how to find information than it is actually knowing something. I'm not saying that actually having discrete knowledge and information is not desirable, but with the wealth of knowledge that is immediately available with the internet, it's as important to know how to find information and learn the distinction between what's reliable and what is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    I agree, tests should focus more on critical thinking than regurgitation. Can't really blame the high school teachers for that though, the board of ed are the ones drawing up these terrible assessment tests.
    Board of Ed isn't doing anything directly to create assessments, outside of possibly deciding what outside assessment company to use.

Teachers themselves design most of their own assessments (unless they are just using what came with their textbooks). Multiple choice can assess more material more quickly than other methods, with the added benefit that they are easier to grade and offer more conformity in assessment grading (as there is no subjective nature involved; even penmanship effects grading on long answer questions, particularly essays). To me, MC tests should only be used as monitor checks as opposed to true assessment. A true assessment need to be multi-modal.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    I agree, tests should focus more on critical thinking than regurgitation. Can't really blame the high school teachers for that though, the board of ed are the ones drawing up these terrible assessment tests.
    It's just laziness on their part. I don't remember the last time I was assigned a project to be honest.

My favorite class this semester was English 204- Romanticism. Because we discussed and analyzed the stories. Not read it and take a quiz and that is that.

MUCH better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    In today's world I think it's almost more useful to know how to find information than it is actually knowing something. I'm not saying that actually having discrete knowledge and information is not desirable, but with the wealth of knowledge that is immediately available with the internet, it's as important to know how to find information and learn the distinction between what's reliable and what is not.
    Yeah, I'm taking a research class and it's pretty beneficial to be honest. I find it annoying still, but that's because my research skills are so weak. I'm so into skimming large documents to find out if the article or articles are good for my particular topic.

Now that doesn't mean I'm all for doing projects and research papers LOL, but it's more beneficial.

MUCH better.

Get way too distracted and stuff, like I don't feel like doing research and stuff. I give up too easily and want to call it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    It's just laziness on their part. I don't remember the last time I was assigned a project to be honest.

My favorite class this semester was English 204- Romanticism. Because we discussed and analyzed the stories. Not read it and take a quiz and that is that.
    Grading takes a lot of time. Grading well takes even more time. How long do you think it takes a teacher to read, grade, and comment upon 120 8 page papers.

Now imagine what your lecture profs that have 300+ students in a class have.

I think now is a good time to say that I really really want vanilla pudding..

First it was cheesecake, now it's pudding.

MUCH better.

That's why we need more TAs, but then people will always bring up the fact that they were graded unfairly.

Also think that's why GPA shouldn't even be taken into account for job interviews and such, but then again it's pretty costly to interview a ton of applicants.