+ Reply to Thread
Page 396 of 814 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398406446496 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 8133

Thread: The Freaking Lounge

One of the comments makes sense. It's tough because she's not at the top of the list because it's hard for her to get an organ. All 12 year olds are screwed.

I'm not a scientist, but if that's true... that really sucks.

Feel bad.

And I guess it's true that someone else will be losing a life in her favor. It just sucks because she's so young/

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    So basically children who are under the age of 12 will have little to no chance of receiving an organ?

Well that's ****ing peachy..
    They can get organs, just from other children. There's a developmental difference in the organs, which is why this is the case (which is said in the article). As sad as you may feel about this little girl not getting a transplant, someone's life is still being saved by those lungs; it just happens to not be hers. It's not like they're throwing a good pair of lungs in the trash and saying she can't get a transplant. The Organ Procurement and Transplant Network does as good a job as they possibly can to make sure that the most deserving candidates get an available organ. Unfortunately, there are heart wrenching stories like this; and even more unfortunately there always will be.

The problem isn't that she isn't getting a transplant. The problem is there are too many people that need organ transplants and not enough people signed up as organ donors.

For full disclosure, my older brother received a liver transplant 24 years ago last weekend. He had his operation at the same hospital this girl is admited to (though, back then it was called Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, which had the in poor taste acronym, CHOP). If things are still the same there, she's staying on 7 West.

As an aside. If you ever need a transplant, try to need it around a holiday (particularly one in which heavy drinking is involved). More organs tend to be available then due to DWI fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    They can get organs, just from other children. There's a developmental difference in the organs, which is why this is the case (which is said in the article). As sad as you may feel about this little girl not getting a transplant, someone's life is still being saved by those lungs; it just happens to not be hers. It's not like they're throwing a good pair of lungs in the trash and saying she can't get a transplant. The Organ Procurement and Transplant Network does as good a job as they possibly can to make sure that the most deserving candidates get an available organ. Unfortunately, there are heart wrenching stories like this; and even more unfortunately there always will be.

The problem isn't that she isn't getting a transplant. The problem is there are too many people that need organ transplants and not enough people signed up as organ donors.

For full disclosure, my older brother received a liver transplant 24 years ago last weekend. He had his operation at the same hospital this girl is admited to (though, back then it was called Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, which had the in poor taste acronym, CHOP). If things are still the same there, she's staying on 7 West.
    Yep, that's the point. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Yep, that's the point. Well said.
    Thanks. Like I said, I do have some personal experience with transplants.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post

yeah I didn't read last related article where the said that children under 12 may not be able or have enough room for a adult lung.....good post drez

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    yeah I didn't read last related article where the said that children under 12 may not be able or have enough room for a adult lung.....good post drez
    But then there's that gray area that remains: Under twelve. This girl is ten years old, and by generalized rules, should she lose her life? Now I'm not entirely sure if her body can physically sustain itself with an adult lung, nor do I know if the doctors -- aware of the rules in place -- have even considered it, but what I do know, though, is that this case has garnered attention, and the rule-makers have vowed to "look into it;" an encouraging sign at one, but also possibly an exemplar of bureaucratic doublespeak that really just means "well...tough ****."

Another question would be where she would stand if she was twelve years old. Undoubtedly she'd have a better standing because of increased suitors, but would that be enough? A lot of unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    But then there's that gray area that remains: Under twelve. This girl is ten years old, and by generalized rules, should she lose her life? Now I'm not entirely sure if her body can physically sustain itself with an adult lung, nor do I know if the doctors -- aware of the rules in place -- have even considered it, but what I do know, though, is that this case has garnered attention, and the rule-makers have vowed to "look into it;" an encouraging sign at one, but also possibly an exemplar of bureaucratic doublespeak that really just means "well...tough ****."

Another question would be where she would stand if she was twelve years old. Undoubtedly she'd have a better standing because of increased suitors, but would that be enough? A lot of unknowns.
    Organ procurement and distribution is a complicated issue, primarily because it invokes a lot of emotion. While she might stand a better chance of getting a lung if she were 12, it isn't certain that she'd be eligible then, either. However, at least at 12 they'd look into giving her an adult lung, which is a better shot than she has now. The OPTN does the best it can to make sure that the most deserving (read as: necessary) patients get an organ. This is definitely a situation where cold bureaucracy is a good thing; saying yes to one patient means saying no to another (meaning saving one likely dooms the other). It is a very emotional process, even for those that have no contact with the patients.

I think you peoples need a reality check.

Where the hell is football?

+ Reply to Thread