+ Reply to Thread
Page 638 of 814 FirstFirst ... 138538588628636637638639640648688738 ... LastLast
Results 6,371 to 6,380 of 8133
    You've got to be ****ing with me...http://deadspin.com/worst-columnist-...ium=socialflow

Please support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Don't take the title and run with it. Here is what she said:

On a much less historically significant scale, so it is with Johnny Football — and no, this is not intended in any way to compare the vast evil of Jim Crow to an incompetent NCAA investigation, or to slings from TV commentators.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...pocrisy-080813

Note: "much less historically significant scale."

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Don't take the title and run with it. Here is what she said:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...pocrisy-080813

Note: "much less historically significant scale."
    It doesn't matter if it's "much less", the comparison itself is ridiculous.

Please support.

It doesn't matter if it's "much less", the comparison itself is ridiculous.
    It only doesn't matter when you want to be outraged.

All that writer did was draw a parallel to the structure of the Rosa Parks/Civil Rights Movement:

1. Injustice
    2. Stand taken
    3. Return to justice

That's all. It's only ill-conceived because it could be seen as marginalizing the heroic efforts of an entire race. But that wasn't completely unfounded by the writer, who, after writing her lead, made it very clear to whoever wasn't already manufacturing outrage and feeding their blogs, that it was "much less" significant.

If she didn't acknowledge that the severity between the two are far apart in terms of historical significance, then yeah, I'd agree with you that it's a ridiculous comparison.

It only doesn't matter when you want to be outraged.

Nobody "wants" or wishes to be outraged. It's an outragish thing to say by itself.

All that writer did was draw a parallel to the structure of the Rosa Parks/Civil Rights Movement:

1. Injustice
    2. Stand taken
    3. Return to justice

That's all. It's only ill-conceived because it could be seen as marginalizing the heroic efforts of an entire race. But that wasn't completely unfounded by the writer, who, after writing her lead, made it very clear to whoever wasn't already manufacturing outrage and feeding their blogs, that it was "much less" significant.

If she didn't acknowledge that the severity between the two are far apart in terms of historical significance, then yeah, I'd agree with you that it's a ridiculous comparison.
    It was a poor comparison. I understand injustice, I understand taking a stand.

The injustice of going to jail because you're black and you sat in the "white section" of the bus is different than the injustice of being penalized for a college athlete selling autographs. I understand where she is coming from with trying to tie the two together, because they both ARE injustices, but the two acts are on a different level on injustice. Which is why the article is completely insane IMO.

I'm not claiming she's being racist, I'm claiming she made a poor comparison.

Please support.

It was a poor comparison. I understand injustice, I understand taking a stand.

The injustice of going to jail because you're black and you sat in the "white section" of the bus is different than the injustice of being penalized for a college athlete selling autographs. I understand where she is coming from with trying to tie the two together, because they both ARE injustices, but the two acts are on a different level on injustice. Which is why the article is completely insane IMO.

I'm not claiming she's being racist, I'm claiming she made a poor comparison.
    Everything you said was covered explicitly in the article. I'm not sure if you read it, or only read the Deadspin version, because the article is explicitly clear in its intent.

Here are some quotes from the piece.

It is intended to say, wrong is wrong.
    He was merely the tipping point, the final straw, that moment when people finally said: “We are mad as hell and we’re not going to take it any more.”
    My comparison of Johnny Football to Rosa Parks, a brave and willing American hero, is based only on Manziel's role as a tipping point.
    As for the varying degrees of injustice, that goes hand in hand with the " much less historical significance." If the "historical significance" was even remotely comparable, so would the injustices, but they're not, so neither are the injustices, or the ensuing "stands" that are taken.

With all of these quotes in the piece, the comparison in the manner she uses it is completely acceptable.

to be honest...there shouldnt be any mention, because there's no comparison. Does anyone actually think that Manziel sold autographs to make a stand against anything. no...he just wanted to make a quick buck, and doesnt care about the rules. (for the record, the rules are stupid. colelge athletes should be able to make money for themselves if they want to sell their own name. that has nothing to do with NCAA or College in my eyes)
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Everything you said was covered explicitly in the article. I'm not sure if you read it, or only read the Deadspin version, because the article is explicitly clear in its intent.

Here are some quotes from the piece.

As for the varying degrees of injustice, that goes hand in hand with the " much less historical significance." If the "historical significance" was even remotely comparable, so would the injustices, but they're not, so neither are the injustices, or the ensuing "stands" that are taken.

With all of these quotes in the piece, the comparison in the manner she uses it is completely acceptable.
    Historical significance has nothing to do with the degree of injustice.

Please support.

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    to be honest...there shouldnt be any mention, because there's no comparison. Does anyone actually think that Manziel sold autographs to make a stand against anything. no...he just wanted to make a quick buck, and doesnt care about the rules. (for the record, the rules are stupid. colelge athletes should be able to make money for themselves if they want to sell their own name. that has nothing to do with NCAA or College in my eyes)
    Thank you.

This is what I'm saying with there's a different level of injustice. I hate the rule about autographs, it's stupid, it IS injustice.
    Rosa Parks went to jail because of her skin color. That is injustice.

The ONLY comparison you can make is that they are injustice. That's it. But don't compare them.

You cannot compare the two. It has nothing to do with which story is more popular or "historically significant", it has to do with the context and the situation.

Please support.

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    The comparison is invalid if you don't believe Manziel "took a stand."

But since the article is written with that pretext, and predicated upon it, the comparison is valid on a much, much lower, and simpler, scale -- which the writer, herself, makes clear in all of the text-quotes above.